buying the cheapest possible condo in a thai slum just to get a yellow book

On 11/27/2023 at 4:47 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I live here since almost 30 years, most of that time with a business visa (not leaving Thailand). And I don't have a yellow book. And I have bank accounts and vehicles in my name. What am I missing? 

Times are changing, in these days Banks are asking for Certificate of Residence or blue/yellow House Book plus plus plus.

• Confused 1

On 11/27/2023 at 5:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Stupid reason to get a yellow book, don't need one, totally daft, spend 600k on a condo to save a 300 baht residence certificate 

when the bank is asking to be registered in a blue or yellow book, they don't mean certificate... I asked about residence certificate of immigration or from embassy, nope...  yellow , blue (not possible anyway) or GO AWAY

4 minutes ago, john donson said:

when the bank is asking to be registered in a blue or yellow book, they don't mean certificate... I asked about residence certificate of immigration or from embassy, nope...  yellow , blue (not possible anyway) or GO AWAY

Change your bank (or speak to their call centre)   -  that is nonsense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Change your bank (or speak to their call centre)   -  that is nonsense.

Thai credit union, pretty clear...  also ttb apparently

change, well... those promise an almost descent interest rate, still under inflation

but more than my current bank...

2 minutes ago, john donson said:

Thai credit union, pretty clear...  also ttb apparently

change, well... those promise an almost descent interest rate, still under inflation

but more than my current bank...

You don't choose a Thai bank for 'higher interest rates'........you choose one for practical day to day needs and to satisfy Immigration.

46 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You don't choose a Thai bank for 'higher interest rates'........you choose one for practical day to day needs and to satisfy Immigration.

I have money locked in a zero interest saving account in green bank for immigration

are people getting some interest in that account for immigration ?  if it is fixed deposit and they want to see 100 baht more or less, how do you manage that...

yellow bank, where I am a customer for many years, came up with the fluff they want, once again, a certificate / residence... when I tell them I am client and here is the last credit card invoice you sent me... it is... get the paper or get lost, kind off...

On 11/27/2023 at 12:09 AM, john donson said:

feasible or not ?

kind of getting bored with bank asking for a blue book, while foreigners cannot be on one

so I was thinking, what if I would try to find the cheapest thai social welfare condo that was available...

would that be possible to do the needed steps, after buying the piece of c... to go to ampur to get a yellow book

to finally shut up banks when they are asking their ridiculous demands of being registered as if having a passport and a retirement visa and a rental lease with your name on it is not enough

if there is  a yellow book 'agent' like they have for visa's and extension, would prefer that option...

maybe there is a whole new business model for them to start adding farangs on their tabien baan ?

Just go and get a certificate of residency since your already on a "retirement" permission to stay. Thats all the bank needs as far as a validated address

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I opened the last bank account maybe 3 years ago, no problem.

About the same time, I also applied for a 2nd credit card, independent from my bank accounts, also no problem.

What’s that got to do with the fact that for the 30 years the OP was talking about, the rules have changed an infinite number of times?

On 11/27/2023 at 12:56 AM, scorecard said:

Foreigners who are in Thailand on long-term visas (and some other circumstances) have a yellow Tabien Baan book.

No, they do not necessarily have a yellow book, a long-term visa doesn't mean that a yellow book is available . I'm on a 'retirement visa' (Dr Jack!) and do not have a yellow book.  Maybe your reference to a long-term visa is different.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

What’s that got to do with the fact that for the 30 years the OP was talking about, the rules have changed an infinite number of times?

Because in my previous post I mentioned that I live here since almost 30 years.

With work permit it was easy to open a bank account decades ago and it is still easy.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Because in my previous post I mentioned that I live here since almost 30 years.

With work permit it was easy to open a bank account decades ago and it is still easy.

With a work permit perhaps, try getting one if you don’t work. Personally I had no issues getting 5 different banks, but that was quite some time ago. The landscape is very different now.

On 11/27/2023 at 12:56 AM, scorecard said:

The Thai government (since decades ago) wants to have an address for every person in Thailand, Thais folks and foreigners.

Thais have an address, recorded in their blue Tabien Baan book.

Foreigners who are in Thailand on long-term visas (and some other circumstances) have a yellow Tabien Baan book.

Ninety day reporting is part of the quest to have an address for everybody.  

You are dreaming.

Back to the OP.

If you want to open a bank account most simple way is an agent.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

With a work permit perhaps, try getting one if you don’t work. Personally I had no issues getting 5 different banks, but that was quite some time ago. The landscape is very different now.

Things have changed dramatically.

Pretty much necessary to obtain a certificate of residence or equivalent from embassy.

Not all embassies provide that.

UK, USA,AU being just 3 (no I'm not confusing income letter) 

If you already have a non O then it may be possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 8:38 PM, DrJack54 said:

You are dreaming.

Back to the OP.

If you want to open a bank account most simple way is an agent.

you missed the point, for krungsri, I am a many years old customer even have CC with them...

but they still need a certificate...

hey, to prove that who you say you are... go get it... but but... you send me my credit card overview every month, here, I brought it to you with my name on it...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, Stevemercer said:

Plenty of expats have a yellow book, similar to a pink ID Card, but it is not essential or even very useful. It saves getting a residency certificate from immigration for some things. Getting/renewing a drivers licence, for example. I often use the pink ID when checking in at hotels, rather than a passport (I know it doesn't meet the immigration requirements). 

I guess the yellow book and pink ID card (you need the yellow book before you can get the pink ID card) are just items to demonstrate you have some sort of commitment to living in Thailand. Maybe it will mean something at some future date as they keep fiddling with immigration laws. 

Thai Permanent Residents are usually recorded in the dark blue Tabien Baan book, therefore never have a yellow Tabien Baan book. 

Edited by scorecard

visited the condo

decided against it

if thai banks want to be difficult for their peanuts, than I better return the money back to home country

to get a better rate... not as good as UK or USA...

and it involves losing 2.5-3% of my money in bad exchange rates and fees...

the flat fee of some app online , they might indicate the rate you get for your THB, but it is always worse than even the SELL rate of the banks or TT ...    hidden costs or rather lost money that people don't think about it, if they would go check bank's rates and compare to online apps.

you sadly lose years worth of thai bank interest rates in 15 seconds for one transaction, but this is the way ..

Yellow book is a complete waste of time and effort IMO.

Some farangs seem to wear it as a badge of honor for some reason ( along with pink ID card ), kinda like 'look at me, look how smart i am', most STILL cannot utter more than about 3 words of Thai ' Check bin kap"

amusing...

• Agree 1