Would YOU watch HIS bag on the beach?

henrik2000

17 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It certainly is not normal to be expected to watch  complete strangers bags.

It is easy to change words, i did not say expected, i said it is normal to do so. But some people suck indeed, so it can not be expected.

"Normal" behaviour is "expected" behaviour. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, petermik said:

goodness me....I,ve just been to the toilet maybe I should post it on here as a hot topic....sorry but have you nothing else better to do?

Good on you P.Mic. Now you really told him that you are the one deciding what topic other members post here. You are clearly on a roll. Note to me and all other posters: Do not forget to consult P.Mic before posting.

By the way, feel free to post your story about your toilet adventure. ;-) 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It's normal to watch each others bags when on a beach. I guess you both are not the nicest people, that is likely also why you guys met each other lol. Well, and it is of course the beautiful Pattaya we talk about.

Not in TH, for the 2 reasons below

And not back in the USA, unless they opened that bag and let me see 'everything' that was in it.  Error on the side of caution, as any 'unattended bag is suspect' in the 21st Century.  SAFETY (mine) FIRST

Live longer and happier with better choices, as I'm not in this world to make friends with strangers.

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

I rather wouldn't watch a stranger’s bag on a Thai beach:    

- Someone might run off with HIS bag in MY care (either planned by him or not) 

- The bag might contain illegal stuff and be part of a setup    

Or would you?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's a fair enough question. If I go to the beach I drive the car. So I've got the car keys, my phone, plus I always carry quite a bit of cash, and I prefer to pay for a deck chair and a drink and then ask the vendor to keep an eye on my stuff while I'm swimming. At least he or she has got a vested interest in keeping your bag safe, and they can't do a runner. Personally, I'd never ask a stranger.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

IMO the polite thing to do would have taken the 1-2 seconds to remove an earphone to hear what was being said.  If I was asked to watch someone else's bag or belongings, I'll say "I'll try, but it's not a guarantee". 

As for the OP saying the stranger was standing over him, it brought back memories of those comic book ads I used to see as a child.

image.png.77c753e1c4579bfe2efac134ead81905.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither would I.... but thats not the question. 

I've been asked to keep an eye on peoples bags (on the train / airport lounge etc when someone pops to the toilet etc).... no issues whatsoever....   The same on the beach, its really not a hardship to look out for others. 

About the 2 worst place to watch a stranger bag.  The constant warnings of notifying authorities if you see an unattended bag didn't seem to sink in then 😮

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither would I.... but thats not the question. 

I've been asked to keep an eye on peoples bags (on the train / airport lounge etc when someone pops to the toilet etc).... no issues whatsoever....   The same on the beach, its really not a hardship to look out for others. 

Bit different for a few moments while someone goes to the toilet at the airport. I would do that as it makes sense. As long as the bag is at a distance and can't be deemed my possession. . Asking someone to watch your bag while they frolic in the water is a bit indulgent. No I would not like to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

A middle-aged westerner and a younger Thai lady walked past me towards the water, held a yellow plastic bag my way and asked something. I didn't hear one word, because of the noise-canceling headphones, but assumed they asked if that bag was mine, what else could they mean? So I made a no-no gesture with my hands.  

Basic manners to take headphones off to talk.

So you were rude to them first

They were rude second

• Like 2
  • Confused 2