Would YOU watch HIS bag on the beach?

henrik2000

2 hours ago, bbko said:

IMO the polite thing to do would have taken the 1-2 seconds to remove an earphone to hear what was being said.  If I was asked to watch someone else's bag or belongings, I'll say "I'll try, but it's not a guarantee". 

As for the OP saying the stranger was standing over him, it brought back memories of those comic book ads I used to see as a child.

image.png.77c753e1c4579bfe2efac134ead81905.png

Manners are rare these days.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bignok said:

Not really if you are sitting 5m away and not moving.

The OP was totally rude in the first place by not removing ear phones.

It's pretty sad how selfish and self absorbed people are these days.

The world is full of tossers.

Be a bit cup half full. He may have been elsewhere, thinking, and by the time he became aware the moment had passed and the two had walked by. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Most people mean well I think.  

I must admit I often feel like people are tossers when I'm travelling i.e. actually going place to place, especially on planes,  as you get in a lot of niggly situations. Meeting new people all the time. Maybe you have been moving around too much. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Be a bit cup half full. He may have been elsewhere, thinking, and by the time he became aware the moment had passed and the two had walked by. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Most people mean well I think.  

I must admit I often feel like people are tossers when I'm travelling i.e. actually going place to place, especially on planes,  as you get in a lot of niggly situations. Meeting new people all the time. Maybe you have been moving around too much. 

The two people walked up to him and tried to talk. He kept his earphones on. Thats just rude.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Why would someone 'plan' to go to the beach and NOT include a plan to protect their belonging while in the water?

Personally, although I've been to the beach once or twice in the past 77 years, it's been at least 60 years since I learned to be responsible enough to make provisions for my own belongings when going to the beach!

Was the OP 'rude' by not taking off his headphones? Perhaps. Hardly a major insult or catastrophe. Wasn't he busy? Do you always respond politely to interruptions when you are busy?

Was the bag owner foolish for expecting a stranger to be responsible for his things?  Perhaps.

Some people make it a habit to include others in their plans without asking first, just expecting compliance from everyone else without regard for their needs.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Today on Jomtien beach I was sitting in the sand, with noise canceling earphones and deep sunk in (earphone-compatible) work. The headphones are easily visible for anybody walking past, by their cables and black color.    

A middle-aged westerner and a younger Thai lady walked past me towards the water, held a yellow plastic bag my way and asked something. I didn't hear one word, because of the noise-canceling headphones, but assumed they asked if that bag was mine, what else could they mean? So I made a no-no gesture with my hands.  

They left the bag at the water's edge, splashed 10 minutes in the water and walked back past me, shouting something again my way.    

This time I took the earphones off, and we had this dialogue:    

I: “Sorry?”    

Man: “Thanks!”    

I: “Thanks for what?”    

Man: “Thanks for NOTHING!”    

I: “What do you mean?”    

Man: “Thanks for NOT watching our bag.”    

I: “0h sorry, you see I had the headphones in and was just assuming that you - "    

Man, interrupting: “Okay okay, have a WONDERFUL day!”    

He walked off with a superior air, no longer listening to my reply, and the lady laughed happily. He had shown her who the master is, especially as they towered upright over me, sitting below in the sand.    

—    

No need to comment on their behavior, but would YOU watch a stranger's bag on the beach? Especially when you're occupied with headphone and complicated thoughts and sometimes trek to bathroom or snack stalls?    

I rather wouldn't watch a stranger’s bag on a Thai beach:    

- Someone might run off with HIS bag in MY care (either planned by him or not) 

- The bag might contain illegal stuff and be part of a setup    

Or would you?

Absolutely not!

2 hours ago, ignore it said:

Like what kind of guy goes up to a stranger on the beach, disturbes him, leaves his crap on the sand, goes to play in the water and then comes back up to the guy and gets all smarmy with him? 

What part of the world produces tards like this?

The same countries who think it's okay to leave " markers" like a magazine or towel on a chair or chaise lounge, usually positioned closest to the sea or pool then they go off to have breakfast and do a 1/2 day tour of the area and come back hours later to use their chair or lounger and think it's totally okay! 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

23 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

- Someone might run off with HIS bag in MY care (either planned by him or not) 

If that happens:

Sorry sir, I didn't look at your bag all the time - and I don't really care.

What will he do? Go to the police and complain about you not watching his bag? 

• Love It 1

34 minutes ago, bignok said:

A few in Chiang Rai

Nobody remembers who came second.

If I have earbuds in to listen to music or have white noise, anyone who interrupts that is disrespectful of my desire to be left alone. That being the case, why should I respect their requests/demands?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither would I.... but thats not the question. 

I've been asked to keep an eye on peoples bags (on the train / airport lounge etc when someone pops to the toilet etc).... no issues whatsoever....   The same on the beach, its really not a hardship to look out for others. 

About the 2 worst place to watch a stranger bag.  The constant warnings of notifying authorities if you see an unattended bag didn't seem to sink in then 😮

Some hyperbolic 'whatifery' there along with an impressive absence of logic and reading comprehension. 

Since when is 'someone else's' bag an 'unattended bag ???

In an airport lounge, people have already gone through security...   keeping an eye on a neighbors bag while they pop to the toilet is hardly the terrorist security breach you make it out to be, neither is watching a seat neighbours bag on a train.... 

Me thinks in the aim of scoring a 'critical point' you over egg this pudding.... 

But.. if you are not willing to assist those around you in such simple ways that highlights something of your character. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither would I.... but thats not the question. 

I've been asked to keep an eye on peoples bags (on the train / airport lounge etc when someone pops to the toilet etc).... no issues whatsoever....   The same on the beach, its really not a hardship to look out for others. 

Bit different for a few moments while someone goes to the toilet at the airport. I would do that as it makes sense. As long as the bag is at a distance and can't be deemed my possession. . Asking someone to watch your bag while they frolic in the water is a bit indulgent. No I would not like to do that. 

Why is it indulgent to ask someone to keep an eye on your bag why they for a swim ??...  

Its not exactly an onerous task to allow someone to place their bag next to you while taking a dip... (frolicking in the water or otherwise).

Of course, a perfectly valid reason not to, would be if you are about to leave soon, or may go for a swim yourself etc... 

But, otherwise, telling someone 'no' in such a situation does highlight a degree of 'ayholeness'.... 

(not you), however, its of no surprise me to read some of the 'nay' responses and reasons from some of the posters who repeatedly re-affirm they are antisocial misfits. 

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If I have earbuds in to listen to music or have white noise, anyone who interrupts that is disrespectful of my desire to be left alone. That being the case, why should I respect their requests/demands?

Up to you. I think its rude but whatever. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it indulgent to ask someone to keep an eye on your bag why they for a swim ??...  

Its not exactly an onerous task to allow someone to place their bag next to you while taking a dip... (frolicking in the water or otherwise).

Of course, a perfectly valid reason not to, would be if you are about to leave soon, or may go for a swim yourself etc... 

But, otherwise, telling someone 'no' in such a situation does highlight a degree of 'ayholeness'.... 

(not you), however, its of no surprise me to read some of the 'nay' responses and reasons from some of the posters who repeatedly re-affirm they are antisocial misfits. 

I agree. No skin off my back. Id say ok if 10 mins. If longer I might be leaving.

Generally doing favours in life brings you good karma.

Do 10 good deeds. You might get 5 back.

Do none you get none back.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Buzz Aldren?

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Irrelevant what they are doing. Either one has good manners, or they don't. It's not a question of degree.

Everyone is 'always doing something'...       This is why we have the term 'excuse me'.... So that it possible to interrupt without being impolite. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1