Beware of Fake McAfee invoices/orders

xylophone

This may have been going on for some time and I've not noticed it, or it may have been mentioned elsewhere, however over the past couple of months I have been getting emails, thanking me for my purchase of McAfee software and quoting an order number.

Of course I have labelled them as spam and most of them find their way into the spam folder, but a few seem to escape. As yet I haven't opened one of the invoices, but have viewed the email, and I suspect that if one did open the invoice (mainly because it asks for feedback on it) it may contain a virus or some sort of malware.

Just saying: – BEWARE false McAfee invoices/orders.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

This may have been going on for some time and I've not noticed it, or it may have been mentioned elsewhere, however over the past couple of months I have been getting emails, thanking me for my purchase of McAfee software and quoting an order number.

Of course I have labelled them as spam and most of them find their way into the spam folder, but a few seem to escape. As yet I haven't opened one of the invoices, but have viewed the email, and I suspect that if one did open the invoice (mainly because it asks for feedback on it) it may contain a virus or some sort of malware.

Just saying: – BEWARE false McAfee invoices/orders.

Dont need anti virus software. Its useless anyway. I havent used any for 20 years.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, xylophone said:

but have viewed the email

Can you view details of the mail with the effective sender address? (not what's displayed in the overview)

It's about the best method to uncover spam/fake mails.

Example:

grafik.png.56522a862576e45ad1182beb169a7f78.png

"muckenschlabble.com", definitely not from Tinder :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

Spam always has bad Ebglish

Don't rely on that. Some senders have much improved.

Check the real sender address.

Check whether the mail contains any personal data (your name/address, contract/delivery number that you can verify).

Or is it just "Dear customer" etc.

One of the worst and hard to recognize is the "booking.com" scam.

There the sender address is legit AND it has real booking data.

Quite a shame for booking.com,

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I purge every new device I get from anything that remotely smells of McAfee. Each mail/promotion sender blacklisted and where possible reported. It's not like there's a shortage of similar software and service providers, no need to go with the most annoying one (never mind the potential damage).

Edited by Morch
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Morch said:

I purge every new device I get from anything that remotely smells of McAfee. Each mail/promotion sender blacklisted and where possible reported. It's not like there's a shortage of similar software and service providers, no need to go with the most annoying one (never mind the potential damage).

McAfee is rubbish.  They are also sneaky and not to be trusted.

• Agree 1