Thai authorities demand registration for individuals holding over five SIM cards

snoop1130

thailand-sim-cards-for-travelers.jpeg

Under the leadership of Prasert Chantraruangthong, the Committee for the Prevention and Suppression of Cybercrime has mandated the registration of individuals possessing more than five SIM card numbers.

The numbers are staggering. A whopping 7,664 individuals possess over 100 SIM cards, with Thai nationals holding 3,580,571 of them, and foreigners not far behind with 2,591,365. The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has insisted on addressing this matter within one month.

Trairat Viriyasirikul, acting secretary-general of the NBTC, stated that it is a critical problem for fraudulent online activities. He warns that the regulation has been in effect for years and that all carriers must enforce one ID card for no more than five SIM cards.

Failure to comply could result in hefty fines for operators, with the NBTC board proposing a staggering fine of 1 million baht per day for those who fall short.

The NBTC’s survey in June uncovered a disturbing trend where small dealers facilitated individuals registering more than five SIM cards, paving the way for illicit activities. To counter this, the telecom regulator is contemplating a bold move—forcing existing mobile subscribers with over 10 active SIM cards to re-register at mobile operators’ service centres.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo courtesy of ThailandeSIM.com

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The numbers are staggering. A whopping 7,664 individuals possess over 100 SIM cards, with Thai nationals holding 3,580,571 of them, and foreigners not far behind with 2,591,365. The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has insisted on addressing this matter within one month.

If they already know these stats then why don't they go after the holders?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

As far as I'm aware you need to register all SIM cards, even if you only have one of them like I do.

I think I needed to show my passport at some point in time, I've had it for many years but needed to go down before a certain date a few years back (maybe 5 years ago) and show my id, which I did.

So all SIM cards are already registered which means anyone with more than 5 is already registered.

This is how they know some people have more than 100 SIMs.

Therefore it's nonsense, they already have a list of names to investigate.

Announcing this publicly is essentially undermining any investigation which might be ongoing or about to begin.

Certainly, being able to quote such accurate statistics on the number of SIM cards, separated into those held by foreigners and Thais rather indicates that they already have such information. In addition, as you say, every time one buys a SIM one has to provide a passport or ID card.

Perhaps they are defeated by the prospect of cross referencing the vast store of paperwork which they hold? 

The cynic in me wonders if a newly established agency sees an opportunity for a "cash grab", and the retention of some of that money to fund itself - the magic phrase "a budget to manage" comes to mind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Doesn't this mean 'they' already have the information and just don't understand how to harvest it?

• Haha 1

Think you are free, govt wants to know and register everything.

Just the other day my wife received a call from someone asking why she has so many sims and she explained.

We currently have 5 sims registered to my wife (2 for me, 2 for my wife and a one dtac one year internet one year sim which was performing poorly and we gave it to my wifes nephew)

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

think I needed to show my passport at some point in time, I've had it for many years but needed to go down before a certain date a few years back (maybe 5 years ago) and show my id, which I did.

ditto