Re-ENTRY permit at BKK Airport

10 hours ago, cooked said:
On 11/29/2023 at 4:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Going to the airport and getting on a plane is stressful ???....   I just don't see how thats possibly stressful ??

What is there to stress about ?

It can be irritating having to queue - but thats about it, isn't it ?

Not really. I've been using airports for 57 years, and have seen all sorts of mishaps. even a bomb threat one time in London on the same day that my train was delayed by 5 hours, You want a list?

...  not forgetting any documents of course.....

1. Getting there on time, which in my case involves an 8 hour bus trip + taxi

I can see how 'getting there in time' could cause stress, especially if running late... 

(note - replies for the purpose of discussion and conversation... not for argument - I travel so much and see so many different characters, it is of interest to me to people watch...  this thread has left me thinking about how others behave and what causes that and why etc - Maybe its a complete lack of EQ that prevents me from understanding how stress can come about from something so innocuous that millions do daily).

2. Finding out how to check in. This seems to have changed again recently

Erm.. come on... thats stretching things isn't it ???

... whats changed ? (some airlines have digital check-in... but is that stressful ?)... 

3. getting through pass control

Stressful if you are an overstayer... otherwise, how is that stressful ?

5. Walking, sometimes for what seems miles, to your departure lounge

Stressful ???...    walking is a stressful endeavour now ?  do you get stressed walking in a shopping mall ?

6. By now you are pretty tired and even there isn't a flight delay, you have a long, boring wait ahead.

Waiting is stressful ???...  you're really over egging that one... Waiting is just boring I dont know how it could be stressful.

Of course, some adventure-fatigued, nonchalant James Bond types take all this in their strides and welcome just a bit more bureaucracy on their departure. 

It seems to me that a lot of your comment revolves around time... queuing, waiting etc...   I think everyone finds that displeasing and its one of the parts about travel everyone dislikes.. but is the queueing and walking a cause of stress ?

No one welcomes bureaucracy, but airports hardly involves a lot of that either..  

-----

I have encountered... Lost baggage / delays / missed connections / bumped of full flights / cancelled flights....   etc..  I can see how some may worry about this stuff...  but they they're worrying about things outside of their control. 

Perhaps the most stressful 'travel related' issue I encountered was preparing 're-entry' documents back to Thailand after being locked out during Covid. 

As soon as we were permitted back.. I was able to contact the Thai Embassy in London and jump through their hoops to secure myself a seat on one of the first repatriation flights from the UK to Thailand... 

... It was 10pm Saturday night, the night before my flight that I found out that Thai Elite Visa's Holders are not permitted entry at that stage.... (I'd paid a lot of money for the flight which was effectively wasted because I'd be rejected entry at Immigration).... 

... that was stressful.. but the Thai Embassy came through - I had to rush to London in the morning and they gave me a Non-Imm O visa based on marriage (thus securing entry permissions - the Thai Embassy staffers also didn't know that Thai Elite visa holders could not enter at that time)... 

.. I think thats the only time I've felt stressed about travel. 

Edited by richard_smith237

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have encountered... Lost baggage / delays / missed connections / bumped of full flights / cancelled flights....   etc..  I can see how some may worry about this stuff...  but they they're worrying about things outside of their control. 

Perhaps the most stressful 'travel related' issue I encountered was preparing 're-entry' documents back to Thailand after being locked out during Covid. 

As soon as we were permitted back.. I was able to contact the Thai Embassy in London and jump through their hoops to secure myself a seat on one of the first repatriation flights from the UK to Thailand... 

... It was 10pm Saturday night, the night before my flight that I found out that Thai Elite Visa's Holders are not permitted entry at that stage.... (I'd paid a lot of money for the flight which was effectively wasted because I'd be rejected entry at Immigration).... 

... that was stressful.. but the Thai Embassy came through - I had to rush to London in the morning and they gave me a Non-Imm O visa based on marriage (thus securing entry permissions - the Thai Embassy staffers also didn't know that Thai Elite visa holders could not enter at that time)... 

.. I think thats the only time I've felt stressed about travel. 

My hero.

• Sad 1