Australian Tourist Allegedly Loses 200,000 Baht to Pickpocket on Pattaya Tour Bus

webfact

On 11/29/2023 at 1:13 PM, webfact said:

Upon arriving in Pattaya around 4:30 PM, he discovered that his wallet, containing 9,500 Australian dollars

That idiot radio announcer on 103fm thought this was funny. 

God I hate that guy, he's always screwing up on the radio but if anyone else screws up he's quick to bitch and carry on. 

Look, no one is perfect but this fool is a proper whiner.

His morning show (8am to noon, M, T, T&Friday) is just the biggest complaining broadcast ever. 

Now he's got his assistant (Megan) on the complaint bandwagon. 

He's so offensive, if anyone has anything negative to say about the show he belittles the guy. 

Another issue, the guys slurps his coffee on air (I'm sure the coffee can stand by), he doesn't silence his phone, can't pronounce David Bowie, says notel, not hotel. 

Mr Antagonizer. 

I'd like to change the channel but not many to chose from. 

He charges western rates for adverts but we receive poor quality broadcast, every time we have rain his broadcast is down for hours, still businesses advertise through his station. 

I'm sure he's one of the top 10 moaners here on AN and has a second incognito profile 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, sfbandung said:

Why travel with that amount of cash on you? Silly. He doesn't have cards and a bank account?

Well it is the best way to get profitable exchange rates especially in touristic resorts sa Pattaya. And if you are only counting on your card, the worst that could happen on your journey in a strange country is that the ATM swallows it

46 minutes ago, vangrop said:

Well it is the best way to get profitable exchange rates especially in touristic resorts sa Pattaya. And if you are only counting on your card, the worst that could happen on your journey in a strange country is that the ATM swallows it

So he will no doubt get a good exchange rate on the 200,000 baht he doesn't have any more.

ATMs swallowing cards happens about... well something close to never.

On 11/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, still kicking said:

On a plane you can close but not lock the overhead storage, but it is not just for you, many people use the overhead storage, so they can and will open it a few times I always put it under the seat between my legs. 

Let me know the next time you fly so i can book the seat behind you. Thanks... 

On 11/29/2023 at 3:07 PM, BigStar said:

Convenient for easy garroting. Kills two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Yes, garroting. 

If your "reality" comes from watching action movies and fantasizing about them, no doubt garroting might come to mind.

In real life, no.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Plenty of people carry those amounts when travelling - we see this in the news when its found in the back of a taxi !!!... :whistling:

I don't think insurance polices cover the loss of cash.... so I'm not so sure its a scam.

Yes, since the demise of travelers cheques and the fact that the best exchange rates are now for cash money, there is more of it. The guy may well have had some business venture planned........

Intrigued to know if he was on the regular Reung Ruen Ekamai to Pattaya buses or some alternate. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 3:29 PM, spectre324 said:

something is not right. I have taken this bus before. unless he was really asleep, how could some one rummage thru his back pack standing over him? I smell a something fishy.

it's very common. Someone gets up an pretends to be accessing their bag up there and they are really reaching into your bag. you can't see what they are doing because they are standing there. they are not sure who's bag it is. they do it when people goto the lavatory and also during takeoff and landing when people are shuffling around.

i have had people do this many times on airline flights where they just linger there acting like they are searching for something. i have gotten up and retrieved my bag out of there while they were still standing there several times which puts a fright into them but there's nothing that can be said. it's my bag.

Edited by JimTripper

It seems to me that TAT could prepare a one-page notice to arriving Tourists about how to take care of their money; what to do, and what not to do.  One thing NOT to do is carry a lot of money a lot of money with you in the first place.  A Foreign Debit Card would be much safer, in their wallet and ON THEIR PERSON, not in the overhead bin. 

19 hours ago, Balance said:

It seems to me that TAT could prepare a one-page notice to arriving Tourists about how to take care of their money; what to do, and what not to do.  One thing NOT to do is carry a lot of money a lot of money with you in the first place.  A Foreign Debit Card would be much safer, in their wallet and ON THEIR PERSON, not in the overhead bin. 

That said, just reading a thread of a tourist robbed of a gold bracelet and phone on his person! His person was dead drunk unconscious on Walking St though!