Australian Tourist Allegedly Loses 200,000 Baht to Pickpocket on Pattaya Tour Bus

webfact

On the bus I think it would be hard to actually open the bag still the cash still all the documents, and then put the bag back without somebody noticing it then again, I would never do that. I carry large sums of money. I wear the elastic belt inside my T-shirt straps around my body, so it would be hard for somebody to actually take it without me, noticing it, then again, TIT 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

"One has to be rather naive not to leave their baggage (stored in the overhead bin) unlocked when sleeping on a flight or a bus"?

Don't you mean:- 

"One has to be rather naive not to leave their baggage (stored in the overhead bin) unlocked when sleeping on a flight or a bus"?

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

You'd think that when carrying so much money and important documents travailing on a public bus one would be extra vigilant and pay attention to his belonging, what made him think that the over head locker is safer then placing the bag on his knees where he can see it all the time?...

He could even have kept his wallet in his pocket!

I smell a big doss of BS, A$9,500 in a wallet???  Must have been a big wallet!!! 

Anyway who in their right mind would carry that much cash and then leave it in a backpack in an over head locker, nice little insurnace scam no doubt :thumbsup:

Craighj

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, craighj said:

I smell a big doss of BS, A$9,500 in a wallet???  Must have been a big wallet!!! 

Anyway who in their right mind would carry that much cash and then leave it in a backpack in an over head locker, nice little insurnace scam no doubt :thumbsup:

Plenty of people carry those amounts when travelling - we see this in the news when its found in the back of a taxi !!!... :whistling:

I don't think insurance polices cover the loss of cash.... so I'm not so sure its a scam.

22 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Seriously, who carries $9,500 cash in a backpack that he puts out of his sight anywhere in the World. Idiot!

That's not nice. Yes, that was not a smart thing to do. Or it may have been an oversight. Maybe he didn't do his homework or was naive and trusting. Maybe this was his first trip abroad. Everyone makes mistakes, or are you one of those perfect individuals who has never done something regrettable?

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Agree 1

I have a range of Pacsafe items. Back pack, shoulder bag, wallet and man bag. Now they are available for less than $100. A small investment compared to $9500. Its a pity people have to wait till something is gone to realise how easy stuff is to steal from the unwary. 

You should take action now to buy the travel gear that makes you less of a target. But to be honest even these devices don't work if you take things out and leave them on the seat next to you or in your pocket. You are not safe even in a car. An open car window is no protection from a  mobile snatch and grab. Make yourself security wise before it happens not after. 

I see so many people with their phones and wallets in their back pockets. Or filming from their phone out of an open car window. One second and they're gone.

Also accounts like Revolut and Wise allow you to use cards and take out currency when you need it at the base exchange rate. They are linked to your mobile GPS so if your not nearby they can't be used. Carrying cash in no longer a necessity. 

He will have learnt a lesson. An expensive one but a memorable one. You cannot close the stable door after the horse has bolted.

21 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

You can put a padlock on your bag though so no-one can simply open a zip to steal cash

As most bags are of the soft variety today a thief can simply cut the case open. Happened to me with my checked luggage flying to Thailand.

Only safe place for large amounts of money passport etc is in a money belt inside the trousers. My money belt even had steel wire in the belt so it couldn't be cut.

Re the OP, one wonders if the guy has enough sense to be traveling, if he leaves that amount of money where others can easily get it.

On many occasions I have had on my person a significant amount of cash. Whenever I'm carrying thousands of dollars I'm always taking extra precautions to make sure that the cash is safe. To put your backpack in an overhead rack on a bus with significant amounts of cash in it, is a demonstration of his complete lack of survival skills. Therefore very little sympathy is warranted in a situation like this. At a very minimum he could have put an $8 luggage lock on the backpack, which would have at least been an impediment. The guy was obviously a moron. No real survival skills. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, FarangFB said:
7 hours ago, nausea said:

1000bt note in my shoe

Very disrespectful thing to do in Thailand. I would never

That means you are standing on the Kings face. You can get into a heap of trouble for that. The soles of your feet are deemed really dirty and offensive here. Then putting them on the Kings face on a bank note is even worse. Tread carefully my friend (no pun intended), that could get you into some very hot water.

If it's a true account, which I don't believe, he was targeted someone must have known he was carrying that amount, I use those buses regularly, be hard for someone to check more than one bag

More likely he lost it. I never carry a wallet, and never keep all important money and documents together when travelling