Storing & Keeping Dried Cannabis Fresh In Thailand?

Hokeus

Assuming storage is done using a double Ziploc bag, and kept in a dark place, I'm wondering how long one can store cannabis in Thailand, while having it remain fresh without losing much of its potency or developing mold or fungus, given the high heat and humidity in the country?

Edited by Hokeus

Thank you for all the storage suggestions. I think there may be too many different strains to keep them in separate mason jars and would also want to be able to access them regularly. Thus, putting them in a cold storage environment probably wouldn't be ideal. I'm also not wanting to seal them away in a long term storage environment.

So my question should be re-paraphrased as: How long can you comfortably store cannabis in Ziploc bags in Thailand before it starts to lose any of its quality?

Or, how many months supply should one keep on hand in Thailand (without risk it going bad) before you have a chance to use it all up?

It seems like keeping more than a 6 month supply on hand probably isn't the best idea if you want it to retain its full quality and potency?

Edited by Hokeus
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Hokeus said:

It seems like keeping more than a 6 month supply on hand probably isn't the best idea if you want it to retain its full quality and potency?

I always keep my grow until the next year grow, I just smoke a bit more at the end of the year.

Anything left after 18 months, I chuck in the bin.

Jam jars work if you don't have Mason jars.

• Agree 1

zip lock bags are not 100% air proof , so if you store them in a room with high humidity it could be a problem . 

also keep in mind the environment in the room in which you put the bud into the bag . if the air in the room has a high humidity and you close the lid/zip and it is air tight then the air in the jar will also be high humidity

as suggested by @bamnutsak , best to use boveda pouches as well as a jar 

18 hours ago, khunjake said:

GroveBags. Once you go TerpLoc bags, you will never go back to using jars. 

Thank you. I think I've seen these in use before.

Would storing multiple strains of cannabis in one (1/2 pound sized) GroveBag with each strain placed in an individual Ziploc bag inside the GroveBag be a reasonable approach?

Edited by Hokeus
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Another option is vacuum bags. Can get a good vacuum sealer machine online for less than 500 Baht and a pack of 100 vacuum bags sized 15x20 cm for 100 Baht. 

I assume cannabis sealed in one of these vacuum bags could stay fresh for at least a year, maybe longer and without losing any terpenes or cannabinoids. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, stoner said:

use small grove bags for each strain. also put a humidity pack in each bag. i use the integra boost humidity packs. they come with a little card that turns color telling you to replace the pack. zip lock bags are pretty useless.

then put all those grove bags into 1 big grove bag. cool dry dark place etc. 

i personally use glass jars as i find glass everything keeps more flavor. 

After further research it seems like vacuum sealing in vacuum sealed bags is the best method for long term storage and you don't have to regulate humidity or anything. Terpenes and cannabinoids also can't escape. Air can't get in or out.

Glass jars may be good, but there is air trapped in the jar when you close it which can still degrade the cannabis over time. 

If you really want to extend the storage life of the cannabis then put it in a vacuum sealed bag and into the freezer. It can last up to 4-5 years that way.

In Thailand though I might just put the vacuum sealed bag in the fridge. This way, when you take it out of the fridge and bring it back into Thailand's hot tropical environment, the weed won't experience as much condensation as it might do coming out of the freezer and right into the extreme heat.

In fact, to minimize condensation all together, it would be best to remove the bag from the freezer/fridge and let it sit for a few hours until the cannabis returns to room temperature before cutting open the vacuum sealed bag to remove any of the cannabis for consumption. 

You can also double layer vacuum bag it to add another layer of protection for long term storage since the bags only cost an average of 1-2 Baht each. 

Edited by Hokeus
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

i am not worried about that. mine doesn't last nearly long enough to degrade. :)

Well done, in that case you are definitely doing it right. 👍🏼💯😊

• Haha 1