Multi Entry Tourist Visa - Thai Embassy in Vientiane

Hi experts,

Does anyone have direct experience with getting a multi-entry tourist visa for Thailand at the embassy in Vientiane ?

I live and work in Laos (got a work permit, stay permit card, working visa) but the requirements in the image I attached below are confusing to me.

What do they mean by "Proof of permanent residence" ?

Does anyone have direct experience ? If I apply today for an appointment can I choose the desired date to go to the embassy ?

Thanks in advance

image.png.3619215fb866cbe5f677ced3795c6e93.png

41 minutes ago, RedReding said:

So I guess i can only apply for a TV ?

You can obtain a SETV.

You could also consider some visa exempt border bounces.

You are allowed 2 per calendar year.

How long do you hope to stay in Thailand? 

Keep in mind that you need appointment for Vientiane. 

Any special requirements for the SETV ?

Yes, I know for the visa exempt bounces but I just prefer to get a Tourist Visa as I'm planning on an extended stay of 60+ days in Thailand.

2 per calendar year ? I assume you mean there are only 2 allowed if you cross the land border.

Can you choose your preferred day for the appointment or do they randomly choose one for you? I was hoping to go to the embassy on Wednesday.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

42 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Any special requirements for the SETV ?

Yes, I know for the visa exempt bounces but I just prefer to get a Tourist Visa as I'm planning on an extended stay of 60+ days in Thailand.

2 per calendar year ? I assume you mean there are only 2 allowed if you cross the land border.

Can you choose your preferred day for the appointment or do they randomly choose one for you? I was hoping to go to the embassy on Wednesday.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

You chose day for appointment.

Yes the two visa exempt per calendar year is for land borders.

With a SETV plus 30 day extension= 90 days. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1305565-setv-vientiane-update/

I'm pretty sure I've seen the wording a little different at other embassies - can't remember which.  Something like 'citizens of that country and those who have legal residence'.

It may just be possible, depending on how long you've legally been in Laos, to obtain a METV.

Your permit of stay must surely help? 

I would ask them - asking is free.

Edited by MangoKorat

Did you consider applying for the METV by  eVisa application?

It will then be handled by the Thai Embassy in your home-country (or country of permanent residence) and on successful application sent to you by e-mail, and then it would be a matter of exiting Thailand and then re-entering on that METV. 

Do note that the regulations stipulate that you need to be in your home-country when applying for the eVisa, but obviously when using a home-country set VPN to do the application on-line, there will be no way they can check whether you are indeed in your home-country when doing the application.  However, after successful application and entering Thailand with that METV an attentive and vigilant border-official might notice from your Passport stamps that you were not in your home-country when applying for the eVisa.  But the risk of your METV not being honored for that reason is very small.  And not e that you can then plead 'ignorance' about that home-country application, and will be provided a simple VisaExempt 30-day Permission to stay. 

18 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Did you consider applying for the METV by  eVisa application?

Don't think that's a good idea.

He would need to show flight into home country.

Also the OP later stated this.....

"...but I just prefer to get a Tourist Visa as I'm planning on an extended stay of 60+ days in Thailand." 

A METV would be overkill 

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't think that's a good idea.

He would need to show flight into home country.

Also the OP later stated this.....

"...but I just prefer to get a Tourist Visa as I'm planning on an extended stay of 60+ days in Thailand." 

A METV would be overkill 

~

Just mentioned it as a possible option, but considering his plans to stay in Thailand only 60+ days an METV might not be his best choice, and you provided some alternatives in your earlier response.

QUESTION > Do you have any reports of people entering Thailand on an eVisa where Thai border-immigration requests them 'to show flight into home country'.   When that is standard practice by Thai border-immigration, that would rule out this option of applying for the eVisa when not in your home-country. 

Edited by Red Phoenix

People who are permanent residents of Lao and can legally work in that country are allowed to apply for the 6 month METV for Thailand at the Thai consulate in Vientiane

There is no issue at all and you will have no issue using that visa for unlimited entry to Thailand on 60 day stamps for 6 months from the day it's issued

METV Vientiane

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks all for responding and apologies for the late answer. Totally missed your messages.

So according to @Tod Daniels and his link, people who have a stay permit and working permit in Laos can indeed apply for a METV for Thailand. No need of permanent residence.

This means that the "Proof of Permanent Residence in Lao PDR" stipulated by the Thailand Vientiane embassy website is simply wrong and incomplete.

This is really valuable info for everyone I believe. @MangoKorat@DrJack54@Red Phoenix

5 hours ago, RedReding said:

Thanks all for responding and apologies for the late answer. Totally missed your messages.

So according to @Tod Daniels and his link, people who have a stay permit and working permit in Laos can indeed apply for a METV for Thailand. No need of permanent residence.

This means that the "Proof of Permanent Residence in Lao PDR" stipulated by the Thailand Vientiane embassy website is simply wrong and incomplete.

This is really valuable info for everyone I believe. @MangoKorat@DrJack54@Red Phoenix

Yes, I thought so.