Chinese EV's set to disrupt Thai Automarket

CharlieH

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Nonsense.  It's a gigantic leap to go from removing the plug while charging to electrocuting you.  Absolute nonsense, first the ELCB would trip.

The manufacturer seems to be worried enough to institute a recall on the affected vehicles, and auto companies hate recalls. Destroys their bottom line.  Perhaps they know more than you do.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The manufacturer seems to be worried enough to institute a recall on the affected vehicles, and auto companies hate recalls. Destroys their bottom line.  Perhaps they know more than you do.

The manufacturer is recalling the vehicles because the plug is supposed to be locked in place during charging.  Removing it whilst charging will damage the contacts, I think you know this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The manufacturer is recalling the vehicles because the plug is supposed to be locked in place during charging.  Removing it whilst charging will damage the contacts, I think you know this.

If the contacts are damaged, there is an electrocution risk, no? You are clutching at straws.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

If the contacts are damaged, there is an electrocution risk, no? You are clutching at straws.

No, you need to look at the plug and socket arrangement, the contacts are shielded by heat resistant plastic.

Power is immediately shutoff by the charger wallbox as it loses the pilot signal from the car.  Any ark would be between shielded pins and extremely short lived.  220 volts is not enough to keep an arc going and as I said the power would be shut off immediately.

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

No, you need to look at the plug and socket arrangement, the contacts are shielded by heat resistant plastic.

Power is immediately shutoff by the charger wallbox as it loses the pilot signal from the car.  Any ark would be between shielded pins and extremely short lived.  220 volts is not enough to keep an arc going and as I said the power would be shut off immediately.

Your post begs the question of why the manufacturer is recalling vehicles.

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your post begs the question of why the manufacturer is recalling vehicles.

There is a specific international standard that has to be observed and clearly in some circumstances it isn't.

40 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

There is a specific international standard that has to be observed and clearly in some circumstances it isn't.

I am getting dizzy, we are going around in circles.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am getting dizzy, we are going around in circles.

Please look at the plug & socket arrangement.  You will find as the plug is removed when the connection is broken and for a further centimeter approximately, the plastic shielding around the body of the plug is still engaged in the car.  220 volts will not support an arc in open air over a gap of 1cm and even if it did, it would be contained by the outer plug shield and invisible to the user.  By the time the contacts are 1mm apart, the connection is still double insulated by both the plastic shield around the pins and secondly by the plastic shield around the entire plug, at the same distance of 1mm, the power from the wall box has already shutoff because the wall box lost the pilot signal from the car.

A lot of thought has gone into the design of these plugs and sockets to make them very safe.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Is it far fetched to suggest to take this self anointed car 'expert' with a truck load of salt? I understand he is trying to make a living on the cheap and needs clicks.

2023-12-07_11-53-11.png

He has mechanical engineering qualifications from Sydney University, and has been a motoring journalist for over 20 years. Your own qualifications?

Granted he us trying for clicks, is that not the whole point for anyone on YouTube?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Please look at the plug & socket arrangement.  You will find as the plug is removed when the connection is broken and for a further centimeter approximately, the plastic shielding around the body of the plug is still engaged in the car.  220 volts will not support an arc in open air over a gap of 1cm and even if it did, it would be contained by the outer plug shield and invisible to the user.  By the time the contacts are 1mm apart, the connection is still double insulated by both the plastic shield around the pins and secondly by the plastic shield around the entire plug, at the same distance of 1mm, the power from the wall box has already shutoff because the wall box lost the pilot signal from the car.

A lot of thought has gone into the design of these plugs and sockets to make them very safe.

Your response still begs the question of why the manufacturer is recalling vehicles, if there is no risk. Car producers hate recalls.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your response still begs the question of why the manufacturer is recalling vehicles, if there is no risk. Car producers hate recalls.

I already explained it you twice.

Because it does not always perform as it should meeting International Certifications.  Unplugging whilst charging will make a spark which will erode the contacts, if the contacts are eroded or blackened then the resistance increases and the plug & socket will get hot.

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He has mechanical engineering qualifications from Sydney University, and has been a motoring journalist for over 20 years. Your own qualifications?

Granted he us trying for clicks, is that not the whole point for anyone on YouTube?

He's a sensationalist, and before you ask, my Electronic Engineering degree trumps his Mechanical Engineering Degree in anything electrical.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The manufacturers are concerned because a charge socket mechanical interlock device is not functioning correctly. The primary reason for this interlock is likely to be prevention of contact damage when disconnecting under load. Secondary electrical safety devices prevent plugs remaining live after disconnection. 

It’s possible a substantial and scary arc would be drawn off a plug if carrying DC load before the system shuts off from connection loss. Looking at the CCS2 charging plug design and location of the handle its doubtful there would be much risk of injury to the operator.

As usual the media are giving the full shock horror to this story. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

He's a sensationalist, and before you ask, my Electronic Engineering degree trumps his Mechanical Engineering Degree in anything electrical.

I was not responding to you, but I suppose your qualifications entitle you to butt in.

He has 377,000 subscribers, but I suppose you could say the same for Trump.