How To Increase IQ in Thailand from 89... to HK Level, 107? Any Ideas?

GammaGlobulin

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thousands of Thais sleep on the floor next to their loved ones in public hospitals, it's part of the culture.

Let's say I follow your suggestion, and die in a private hospital instead. In doing so, I run up a bill of 300,000 baht.

That is 300,000 baht less she will receive, in what I have willed to her. Need I say more?

OK let her sleep in the bed with you, or stay at home so she gets all the money and a hospital none. It's not required to die in hospital, and those <deleted> doctors do try and keep one alive as it generates more money to keep someone alive and in need of intensive care than to send them to the morgue. I have a do not resus order which will be observed in a western country, but not, I understand, by Thai doctors.

21 hours ago, cooked said:

Thai Beach Lover seems to think you can increase IQ through social engineering. IQ can be stimulated to some degree, but not much. This is where I (and many scientists) get accused of racism. To survive in Northern Europe you do need a certain amount of intelligence to survive the winters, planning ahead etc. Here, food is available all year round so even the less fit tend to survive.

Stop making it up, or look at who you are referring to. I know sod all about IQ, don't know mine, don't care about other's IQ. It's just more social BS IMO.

18 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

And Western posters on AN do? I don't think so! TBH there's not much difference.

Agree. Looking a certain posters, it seems all they can post is inane silliness ( being polite ) and refuse to answer the question they quote. Also seems some don't have much beyond personal insults to offer.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:29 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

This is why we have so much trouble shopping in Thailand...I guess.

Maybe shopping in Thailand is a lot of trouble for you because you need an IQ upgrade. Shopping has never been any trouble for me in Thailand.

What happened in Japan? Did they send you packing?

On 12/2/2023 at 12:55 PM, Lacessit said:

I will die with my Thai GF at my side. If I am in a hospital, she will be sleeping on the floor next to my bed.

This I know, because it has been demonstrated previously.

I'm sure I'll be dying alone, but I don't give a sh*t LOL.

It's quite the thing in South Korea

Lonely Deaths in S. Korea

Edited by JensenZ

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, I predict I will be here long after you are gone.

You think I care? You are as significant to me as a dog turd on the sidewalk. Just something to step over or around.

Edited by Lacessit

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK let her sleep in the bed with you, or stay at home so she gets all the money and a hospital none. It's not required to die in hospital, and those <deleted> doctors do try and keep one alive as it generates more money to keep someone alive and in need of intensive care than to send them to the morgue. I have a do not resus order which will be observed in a western country, but not, I understand, by Thai doctors.

As you say, it is not mandatory to die in a hospital bed. It's just one of the scenarios.

You have presumably not seen a bed in a Thai public hospital. Sharing one is quite impractical.

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You think I care? You are as significant to me as a dog turd on the sidewalk. Just something to step over or around.

If you think dog turds are so insignificant, then why step around them?

Just step on them, is my advice.

I'm sure you would hardly notice, anyway.

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I did not travel 10,000 miles to live in a foreign land.

I have been in Asia most of my life.

How far from here to HK? Or, to Japan? Or, to China? Or, to Taiwan?

I never had any trouble shopping in HK or Japan.

I did have some trouble once shopping in Japan, many years ago. I'm sure things have changed, but....

I needed a new black cartridge for my printer. I went to Yodobashi Camera. They did not have the specific cartridge for my Epson printer, even though it was the latest model. Unfortunately Epson Japan had made different cartridges for its US models.

So I thought...just buy another printer here. I asked the sales woman to show me printers. We looked at a few demo models on the floor. All of the interface was in Japanese. At the time I spoke Japanese, but could not read it all, if it used Kanji instead of hiragana. I asked her if she could switch it to English. She said it was Japanese only.  I remarked that I could not read all of the Kanji. She suggested it would make sense to learn (true, of course). I asked if the printer would work with my computer, which was a Toshiba of Japan I had bought in the US. She said probably not, but she had many models of Japanese operating system computers in stock.

I then recapped out conversation to that point, and posed it as a question:

"So I want to buy a (inexpensive) cartridge for my Epson of Japan printer, but since it won't work with my Epson of Japan US printer, I need to buy a Japanese printer. But since that printer will only work with a computer whose operating system is in Japanese, I also need to buy a Japanese computer. Since the Japanese computer does not have English on it, I also need to hire a teacher to teach me all the Kanji I would need to read the computer, which could operate the printer, whose cartridge could then print out the single page I need to print?"

"Hai" (with a bow to boot).

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I did have some trouble once shopping in Japan, many years ago. I'm sure things have changed, but....

I needed a new black cartridge for my printer. I went to Yodobashi Camera. They did not have the specific cartridge for my Epson printer, even though it was the latest model. Unfortunately Epson Japan had made different cartridges for its US models.

So I thought...just buy another printer here. I asked the sales woman to show me printers. We looked at a few demo models on the floor. All of the interface was in Japanese. At the time I spoke Japanese, but could not read it all, if it used Kanji instead of hiragana. I asked her if she could switch it to English. She said it was Japanese only.  I remarked that I could not read all of the Kanji. She suggested it would make sense to learn (true, of course). I asked if the printer would work with my computer, which was a Toshiba of Japan I had bought in the US. She said probably not, but she had many models of Japanese operating system computers in stock.

"So I want to buy a (inexpensive) cartridge for my Epson of Japan printer, but since it won't work with my Epson of Japan US printer, I need to buy a Japanese printer. But since that printer will only work with a computer whose operating system is in Japanese, I also need to buy a Japanese computer. Since the Japanese computer does not have English on it, I also need to hire a teacher to teach me all the Kanji I would need to read the computer, which could operate the printer, whose cartridge could then print out the single page I need to print?"

Superior Japanese IQ right there !!

35 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

They do not have internet shops in Japan?

If for some reason I need to print something, either that, or I take a thumb drive to my condo office, where they can print in B&W or color. 5 baht per page.

I am confident you could find the requisite US cartridge on Amazon.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

They do not have internet shops in Japan?

If for some reason I need to print something, either that, or I take a thumb drive to my condo office, where they can print in B&W or color. 5 baht per page.

I am confident you could find the requisite US cartridge on Amazon.

[I did have some trouble once shopping in Japan, many years ago]

It was in 2005.

Fortunately, the world has changed.

(I also used to buy something at Yodobashi called 'film', which I used in my Leica rangefinder cameras, and only knew what my camera captured after some time in what we called a Dark Room, with which I am sure you are familiar. There was a certain joy in that experience, back when humans had patience and did not need instant gratification. When I saw the digital revolution unfolding, I emptied out all of my favorite films that Yodobashi had in stock, before they were discontinued. I still have a refrigerator full of Kodak Technical Pan and Kodachrome25. I develop the Techpan myself, but no labs remain that develop K25. Yodobashi was one of the two last who did it.)

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

[I did have some trouble once shopping in Japan, many years ago]

It was in 2005.

Fortunately, the world has changed.

(I also used to buy something at Yodobashi called 'film', which I used in my Leica rangefinder cameras, and only knew what my camera captured after some time in what we called a Dark Room, with which I am sure you are familiar. There was a certain joy in that experience, back when humans had patience and did not need instant gratification. When I saw the digital revolution unfolding, I emptied out all of my favorite films that Yodobashi had in stock, before they were discontinued. I still have a refrigerator full of Kodak Technical Pan and Kodachrome25. I develop the Techpan myself, but no labs remain that develop K25. Yodobashi was one of the two last who did it.)

I used to have about 3000 books, hardcover and paperbacks, in my home library. I don't even use my Kindle now, simply read books on my smartphone.

Unfortunately, the world has changed. Hatred and grievance are spread on various forms of social media daily. Frequently, the tail is wagging the dog.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I used to have about 3000 books, hardcover and paperbacks, in my home library. I don't even use my Kindle now, simply read books on my smartphone.

Unfortunately, the world has changed. Hatred and grievance are spread on various forms of social media daily. Frequently, the tail is wagging the dog.

Actually, I found my experience at Yodobashi kind of irritatingly humorous. It was so very Japanese.

In the time I lived and worked there, there were many experiences that lent incite into the cultural peculiarities of the place. One time, near Christmas, a female colleague asked me if I celebrate. I told her "Of course".

Her: But you're Jewish!

Me: What gave you the idea I was Jewish?

Her: Because you wear glasses.

Me: So Takahashi-san is also Jewish? (he wears glasses).

Her: Don't be silly, Walker-san!

Another time I commented on the katakana spelling of the firm Salomon Brothers on a Japanese trading screen. They used the katakana character pronounced "So", not the one pronounced "sa". I asked another female colleague about it, remarking that Solomon was the king of the Jews. She asked, "In America?" I replied, "No, that would be Alan King". She said, "Oh"

Of course I would not expect her to know any biblical history nor Catskills' comedians, but I just found it funny.

Edited by Walker88

9 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Actually, I found my experience at Yodobashi kind of irritatingly humorous. It was so very Japanese.

In the time I lived and worked there, there were many experiences that lent incite into the cultural peculiarities of the place. One time, near Christmas, a female colleague asked me if I celebrate. I told her "Of course".

Her: But you're Jewish!

Me: What gave you the idea I was Jewish?

Her: Because you wear glasses.

Me: So Takahashi-san is also Jewish? (he wears glasses).

Her: Don't be silly, Walker-san!

Another time I commented on the katakana spelling of the firm Salomon Brothers on a Japanese trading screen. They used the katakana character pronounced "So", not the one pronounced "sa". I asked another female colleague about it, remarking that Solomon was the king of the Jews. She asked, "In America?" I replied, "No, that would be Alan King". She said, "Oh"

Of course I would not expect her to know any biblical history nor Catskills' comedians, but I just found it funny.

I find it quite comical and sad, when Thais dutifully wear masks on a scooter, while eschewing a helmet. They obviously are never educated in the concept of relative risk.

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Now that really IS a shopping problem. Spend 10 years (or however long it takes - I imagine a very long time) learning Kanji and come back to buy a computer with a Japanese operating system LOL. Problem solved.

Your story also illustrates how English-accommodating Thailand has become. In most shops, even if a sales clerk cannot communicate in English, there's a manager or another staff member nearby who can.

In Pattaya, shopping is an absolute breeze - even pleasure. Only an IQ-impaired shopper in the low 2 digits would have a problem.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I find it quite comical and sad, when Thais dutifully wear masks on a scooter, while eschewing a helmet. They obviously are never educated in the concept of relative risk.

Mask-wearing had nothing to do with education, but government-sponsored brainwashing. You don't remember all the leaflets they sent out during COVID time?

But don't pick on the Thais. Foreigners all over the planet were heavily invested in the practice too. Even on this forum, if you tried to discuss the futility of preventing viral infections with a face mask you received a posting ban.

Just now, JensenZ said:

Mask-wearing had nothing to do with education, but government-sponsored brainwashing. You don't remember all the leaflets they sent out during COVID time?

But don't pick on the Thais. Foreigners all over the planet were heavily invested in the practice too. Even on this forum, if you tried to discuss the futility of preventing viral infections with a face mask you received a posting ban.

I follow the science, which says masks work in crowds. On a scooter, they are probably useless.

Unless it's ridiculously low or ridiculously high, I don't think IQ has much relevance, given its problematic nature as a test of intelligence. In any case, even if it is a valid benchmark, myth has it that 83 was the floor for the US army, so 89 wouldn't be that bad, I suppose. Anyway, I knew a Mensa guy and he seemed pretty average to me, I always beat him at chess (he got quite upset about it), and I'm an average Joe, well, maybe a little above average, certainly not top 2% level.

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Now that really IS a shopping problem. Spend 10 years (or however long it takes - I imagine a very long time) learning Kanji and come back to buy a computer with a Japanese operating system LOL. Problem solved.

Your story also illustrates how English-accommodating Thailand has become. In most shops, even if a sales clerk cannot communicate in English, there's a manager or another staff member nearby who can.

In Pattaya, shopping is an absolute breeze - even pleasure. Only an IQ-impaired shopper in the low 2 digits would have a problem.

I have good experiences with Thai staff, so no complaints, whether for food, clothing, electronics, hardware....always good.

The best service staff I've ever come across, on average, is actually Myanmar. They know everything about the product they supervise. Everything. It doesn't matter if it's a cheap toy or a smart TV, they know everything about it. They know how to assemble whatever they sell, or start it up and get it registered, or how much inventory they have in the back. I never had even a mildly frustrating experience shopping there.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I follow the science, which says masks work in crowds. On a scooter, they are probably useless.

LOL. The science of it all. We heard that a lot from people peddling pseudo-science. I picked up covid myself wearing a mask in a crowd. They are probably more useful on a scooter, protecting the lungs from air pollution.

The Thai people had the fear of God hammered into them. About 2 weeks ago, I went for an early morning walk in the local park. On top of the hill, at 7 am a Thai man was sitting on his own, wearing a mask, no other humans in sight until I got there.