Norwegian Motorcyclist Drives into Dangling Cable and Gets Injured in Sattahip

webfact

image.jpeg

Sattahip — A 60-year-old Norwegian national was injured when he accidentally drove his motorbike into a communication wire that was dangling across the road in the district of Sattahip today, December 1st.

The incident occurred around 1:00 PM in front of Khun Suk Village, Bang Saray sub-district, Sattahip district, Chonburi province. Upon receiving a report of the mishap, the Sawang Rojanatham Foundation promptly dispatched a rescue team to the scene.

There, the rescue team found the victim, identified only by his first name as Mr. Kjetil, who had sustained an injury around his neck. The 60-year-old Norwegian male was discovered near a Filano motorbike with a Chonburi license plate, and communication wires were tangled around the bike.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-12-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

'yanking him by the neck from his vehicle to the ground'. Horrible at any speed. I wonder how fast (plus other factors) would be needed to completely decapitate someone?

Ever watched the Aussie classic bike movie "Stone?"🙃🙃

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

The French Resistance used to do this to decapitate German riders.  TOT are merely jumping on this bandwagon.

Hanging wires are for hanging, just doing their intended job.... unlike the communication companies.

Time the got sued heavily.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

"...accidentally drove his motorbike into a communication wire that was dangling across the road..."

"accidentally implies he made some sort of error (moving to Thailand?). Gives impression communication wires across the road are to be expected.... hmmm okay... it was his fault: should always leave abode with the attitude "They're all trying to kill me!"

Yeh it's like someone accidentally drove down a storm drain cover that had accidentally come loose....

• Agree 1

Dangling cables on the roadways are another aspect of Thainess that takes acculturation to appreciate properly. Once that is accomplished, one will no longer accidentally drive into such cultural artifacts.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

In my area they-TOT fix them with bits of string, tied to the nearest power cable. I have one dangling on the Inside of my 1.5 high fence for 40 meters. our whole road is a complete mess of hanging TOT cables. I did contact TOT months ago and asked them to send their technicians out with some more string :giggle: but they never came. 

PEA had to reposition our power poles due to highway realignment. All the data cables to our street were severed by a PEA employee using huge shears/bolt cutters. Everyone complained to their respective ISP's. In our case, it took three visits over four days by AIS before our internet was restored. Could it be that the cable in question does not belong to Telephones Of Thailand/National Telecom? 

The problem is the lack of a safety culture backed up by a policy of not enforcing the law regarding neglect accompanied by large damages awards and prison sentences.

Whilst I would not like to see Thailand become a litigation crazed society, there is certainly too much protection of large companies and rich individuals at the expense of the generally poor victims.

37 minutes ago, maddermax said:

Hope he takes the power company to the cleaners. This is an occupational hazard when driving around Thailand.

fat chance of winning a law suit here for negligence.  i have tried.  Farang. go home was their attitude.