Survey reveals increasing homelessness in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) and associated agencies took the stage on November 30, to bring to light the findings of an extensive survey conducted on the state of homelessness in Thailand.

The details were presented at the 2024 Protection of Homeless People Expo.

The survey, spearheaded by Phoranee Phuprasert, director of ThaiHealth’s Office of Vulnerable Group Support, discovered that Thailand is currently home to over 2,499 homeless individuals. The primary causes leading to this situation were identified as unemployment and familial disputes.

The majority of these homeless individuals were observed to be residing in urban territories, specifically in cities like Bangkok, Chon Buri, and Chiang Mai.

The survey further dissected the demographics within the homeless population, revealing that 18.1% were grappling with alcoholism and 17.9% were dealing with mental health issues. These factors have contributed to the rising percentage of elderly individuals within the homeless community. According to the study, the percentage of elderly homeless individuals has risen to 22%.

by Top 

Photo courtesy of Pattaya News

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The survey further dissected the demographics within the homeless population, revealing that 18.1% were grappling with alcoholism and 17.9% were dealing with mental health issues. These factors have contributed to the rising percentage of elderly individuals within the homeless community. According to the study, the percentage of elderly homeless individuals has risen to 22%.

Some dubious figures... are these real stats or just fiction?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Some dubious figures... are these real stats or just fiction?

Yeah, it is really difficult to believe that 1 in 5 homeless people have alcohol problems and mental issues considering that Farang sexpat population numbers are probably close to 100%

• Haha 2

The homeless numbers are far higher than they state. Thailand's days as a tourist mecca are behind it now. They will have to live on scraps. None of the myriad of issues that existed long before Covid have been addressed, and the quality of tourist Thailand attracts has been declining for years. Nearly anyone in the industry will attest to that. Few tourists will be interested in visiting a Quaker state, built on a foundation of fake purity, stripped of its character, by fools who know nothing about anything.

The recession that is likely coming next year will not help. But, a lot of Thailand's current economic woes are largely self inflicted. The last guys were an exceedingly reckless administration engaged in multiple, highly selective economic shutdowns, that favored their cronies, and punished the masses. They also kept the nation closed off for far too long, and decimated tourism. Then they partially re-opened, with draconian restrictions.

So, if you want to put the blame in the place it belongs, blame Prayuth and Prawit. They are the architects of the downfall of Thailand, the increased suicides, homelessness, crime, unemployment, and unhappiness of the people. 

Let us call it The Prayuth Decimation.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The homeless numbers are far higher than they state. Thailand's days as a tourist mecca are behind it now. They will have to live on scraps. None of the myriad of issues that existed long before Covid have been addressed, and the quality of tourist Thailand attracts has been declining for years. Nearly anyone in the industry will attest to that. Few tourists will be interested in visiting a Quaker state, built on a foundation of fake purity, stripped of its character, by fools who know nothing about anything.

The recession that is likely coming next year will not help. But, a lot of Thailand's current economic woes are largely self inflicted. The last guys were an exceedingly reckless administration engaged in multiple, highly selective economic shutdowns, that favored their cronies, and punished the masses. They also kept the nation closed off for far too long, and decimated tourism. Then they partially re-opened, with draconian restrictions.

So, if you want to put the blame in the place it belongs, blame Prayuth and Prawit. They are the architects of the downfall of Thailand, the increased suicides, homelessness, crime, unemployment, and unhappiness of the people. 

Let us call it The Prayuth Decimation.

You seem to know a lot about homelessness ( maybe ). But how do you know about it? Because someone begs on the street in Bangkok does not mean they don't go to some kind of " home " after. You seem to be overly political as well. I've arrived recently and met many others who have. The airplanes are all packed. Nobody cares about politics here if they are visiting. I actually noticed famous islands and tourist destinations here BEFORE Covid with extremely low amounts of tourists but TAT said numbers were huge. Your last paragraph is overly dramatic. That paragraph minus the two names was something that certain posters 12 years ago would say verbatim. Remember the Tsunami?? I mean Thailand came back in impressive form!  I'm not saying 2499 homeless is true but it seems the heavy tourist areas as mentioned in Nana and also places like Silom and few others are hot spots here for them. But they seem to leave after a few hours of begging. 

56 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You seem to know a lot about homelessness ( maybe ). But how do you know about it? Because someone begs on the street in Bangkok does not mean they don't go to some kind of " home " after. You seem to be overly political as well. I've arrived recently and met many others who have. The airplanes are all packed. Nobody cares about politics here if they are visiting. I actually noticed famous islands and tourist destinations here BEFORE Covid with extremely low amounts of tourists but TAT said numbers were huge. Your last paragraph is overly dramatic. That paragraph minus the two names was something that certain posters 12 years ago would say verbatim. Remember the Tsunami?? I mean Thailand came back in impressive form!  I'm not saying 2499 homeless is true but it seems the heavy tourist areas as mentioned in Nana and also places like Silom and few others are hot spots here for them. But they seem to leave after a few hours of begging. 

How do you know Thailand is not having serious economic issues?

GDP is down.

Exports are down.

New car sales are down. Condo sales are down. Hotel occupancy rates are down. 

A busy bar in Nana does not convey the whole of the nation. Does it for you? 

A (very) small number compared to size of population and for example European countries like Britain with an almost equal number of citizens...

New research from Shelter shows at least 271,000 people are recorded as homeless in England, including 123,000 children. Shelter's detailed analysis of official homelessness figures and responses to a Freedom of Information request shows that one in 208 people in England are without a home.
Source link: At least 271000 people are homeless in England today.

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

How do you know Thailand is not having serious economic issues?

GDP is down.

Exports are down.

New car sales are down. Condo sales are down. Hotel occupancy rates are down. 

A busy bar in Nana does not convey the whole of the nation. Does it for you? 

I guess you are the type who answers my questions with several questions. Never mentioned  busy bar in Nana but maybe that's where you hang. Another poster only mentioned Nana area and that's Sukhumvit to me. I'd say most countries are having some economic issues. Should I blame Biden for this? Please don't answer should I blame Trump lol. It's just to predictable. This topic is about the homeless numbers in Thailand. My question to you was about this topic. 

• Sad 1

When I was up in Bangkok in February of this year I was shocked by the amount of homeless people woman with young children sleeping on pavements in doorways on benches I was there for three days and nights in one small area I counted at least 60 people and yet here we see the government buying a frigate from the Chinese for there navy when there is absolutely no need for such a waste of money that could be spent on homelessness .