Help/ Advice regarding a visiting Vietnamese national to Thailand 2024

Scouse123

I have a young man in his mid to late twenties,  I know him from Ho Chi Minh. He is self-employed in Vietnam and has a successful business.

I have just returned from South Vietnam and he was acquiring a new passport intending to visit Thailand in the New Year 2024.

He will fly into Don Muang from Ho Chi Minh and will be here for less than a week.

My question is does he need to be carrying the equivalent of 20,000 baht with him in cash? 

I am unsure if it is just Suvarnabhumi who is strong with that rule or uses it as an excuse to refuse.

There were many Vietnamese on my return flight from Ho Chi Minh last week (obviously), I should have asked them as some appeared to know Thailand as if they were frequent flyers.

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

That's the rule for everyone... I have never been asked... why not just follow the rule if he is a successful businessman... 20,000 bht is not that much money.

I can't see it being any problem at all but better he knows in advance to bring that amount in cash as it is an unusual rule and not widely advertised.

Many people, including me, don't often walk around with 20,000 baht cash in this age of Scan and Pay. He has credit cards etc

19 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I can't see it being any problem at all but better he knows in advance to bring that amount in cash as it is an unusual rule and not widely advertised.

Many people, including me, don't often walk around with 20,000 baht cash in this age of Scan and Pay.

Lot's of countries have minimum cash requirements and yes in this day and age that rule is antiquated... some countries will enforce the rule... some will not bother.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 7:04 AM, Scouse123 said:

My question is does he need to be carrying the equivalent of 20,000 baht with him in cash? 

Flying in visa exempt, he should be able to show the following if questioned:

10,000 baht or equivalent in another currency in cash. (20,000 baht is the amount required for those on a tourist visa).

Address in Thailand (e.g. a hotel booking).

Outbound ticket. This one will probably be enforced by the airline already, before allowing him to board his flight to Thailand. 

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1