How to find what someone owns?

Bracken5807

British guy dies in Thailand. Buddhist wedding, 2 children. I from his first wife in the UK, 2nd with the Thai lady. He had a condo and a pick-up in his own name. He has a bar in his Thai wife's name. She suspects he had another building that he owned but can't find any paperwork. Is it possible to check anywhere if there are other assets,,?. No will. Many thanks 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bracken5807 said:

She suspects he had another building that he owned but can't find any paperwork. Is it possible to check anywhere if there are other assets

Go to the land office and ask. 

My names on my Chanotes so they're registered with them. 

Payment may be necessary for information 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

6 hours ago, Bracken5807 said:

British guy dies in Thailand. Buddhist wedding, 2 children. I from his first wife in the UK, 2nd with the Thai lady. He had a condo and a pick-up in his own name. He has a bar in his Thai wife's name. She suspects he had another building that he owned but can't find any paperwork. Is it possible to check anywhere if there are other assets,,?. No will. Many thanks 

If he didn’t tell her, perhaps he didn’t want her to have it. Up to him. Wasn’t the condo and pickup enough?

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Bracken5807 said:

I understand what you mean but surely as the mother of his 3yo she would have a right?

Why, if they weren't legally a couple?  Maybe the child would have some rights if he had been officially recorded as the child's father, something that doesn't always happen when the mother is single.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why, if they weren't legally a couple?  Maybe the child would have some rights if he had been officially recorded as the child's father, something that doesn't always happen when the mother is single.

He is officially recorded as the childs father 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bracken5807 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So a court will have to administer the child's inheritance, if there is any?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

56 minutes ago, Bracken5807 said:
10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know 

The land office will probably want to know some details of the property, such as the address, or will it trawl through every single property record on it's books?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Bracken5807 said:

a Thai lawyer can do the land title search, plus banks and financial institutions easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...the domestic partner laws would give her something".

Which laws are those?

"...if you are unmarried but living with a Thai partner, your partner may not be entitled to anything at all".

https://www.thaicontracts.com/articles/8-thai-law-isn-t-simple/36-foreigners-and-inheritance-in-thailand.html

"De-facto informal marriages, common-law marriage or Buddhist marriage or any religious marriage ceremony are not recognized as legal marriages under Thai Civil Law and therefore do not create any legal rights, duties, powers, or responsibilities of husband and wife. Only officially registered marriages entered into the government´s marriage register are recognized as legal and valid marriages in Thailand and will create the rights, duties and responsibilities of husband and wife under Thai family laws".

https://www.thaicontracts.com/articles/8-thai-law-isn-t-simple/66-marriage-in-thailand.html#:~:text=De-facto informal marriages%2C common,responsibilities of husband and wife.

website you are referring to is nice and easy for non-legals :-)

4 hours ago, Bracken5807 said:

The child would be heir after Thai law, not the mother, if there is no last will. There need to be a lawyer or a by court appointed executor handling the estate; they will get access to information.

Official record as father to a child is not enough with a name on a birth certificate, by that age you also need a DNA-test, when not registered married to the mother.

This is a lesson for everyone. MAKE A WILL before you die. Leave the ORIGINAL will with a law firm. Leave a prominent note detailing the law firm's contact details with a COPY of the will in a prominent place at home. This way YOU decide who gets what.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The land office will probably want to know some details of the property, such as the address, or will it trawl through every single property record on it's books?

Name and passport number should be enough information to link property on their database. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

16 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
22 hours ago, Bracken5807 said:

She suspects he had another building that he owned but can't find any paperwork. Is it possible to check anywhere if there are other assets

I forgot to mention....

My name on Chanotes have been translated to Thai so before going to the land office have his name translated. 

So translated name and passport should be enough information for them. 

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which laws are those?

"...if you are unmarried but living with a Thai partner, your partner may not be entitled to anything at all".

https://www.thaicontracts.com/articles/8-thai-law-isn-t-simple/36-foreigners-and-inheritance-in-thailand.html

"De-facto informal marriages, common-law marriage or Buddhist marriage or any religious marriage ceremony are not recognized as legal marriages under Thai Civil Law and therefore do not create any legal rights, duties, powers, or responsibilities of husband and wife. Only officially registered marriages entered into the government´s marriage register are recognized as legal and valid marriages in Thailand and will create the rights, duties and responsibilities of husband and wife under Thai family laws".

https://www.thaicontracts.com/articles/8-thai-law-isn-t-simple/66-marriage-in-thailand.html#:~:text=De-facto informal marriages%2C common,responsibilities of husband and wife.

If they haven't rewritten the law in the last 10 years. I am very confident that they do exist. I was warned about it and later in contact with lawyers. According to them my ex could have had a right to 50% of everything I bought when we were a couple as we had lived together for so many year. I would also have been able to get 50 percent of everything she bought during the same time period. 

Made a very fast Google and found. "If the cohabiting couple have lived together for a significant period of time and there are titled assets at stake {e.g. land, houses, condominiums] a lawsuit is more a question of “when” not “if.” "

https://www.aaacoth.com/living-with-your-thai-girlfriend-cohabitation-family-law-in-thailand/

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2023 at 1:08 AM, Bracken5807 said:

I understand what you mean but surely as the mother of his 3yo she would have a right?

Only, if the guy is registered as the father on the birth certificate of the child (as mentioned above). Then she could take the birth certificate and the death certificate to the court, have the court establish inheritance rights for the child, and with that paper, she can start her search

9 hours ago, 12Gon said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which laws are those?

Expand  

If they haven't rewritten the law in the last 10 years. I am very confident that they do exist. I was warned about it and later in contact with lawyers. According to them my ex could have had a right to 50% of everything I bought when we were a couple as we had lived together for so many year. I would also have been able to get 50 percent of everything she bought during the same time period. 

Made a very fast Google and found. "If the cohabiting couple have lived together for a significant period of time and there are titled assets at stake {e.g. land, houses, condominiums] a lawsuit is more a question of “when” not “if.” "

https://www.aaacoth.com/living-with-your-thai-girlfriend-cohabitation-family-law-in-thailand/

So, as I suggested, there are no laws covering cohabitation as you claimed there could be.  Your link states that a cohabitation agreement would be required to have any rights and any lawsuit would be a civil action, not an action covered by rights.