Thai Consulate-Los Angeles-New OA Visa informaton

I thought this would be interesting to anyone who is considering a new OA Visa:

Required documents to upload in the system (Large and clear JPEG or PDF format): 

1. Passport Biodata Page or Travel Document (Must be valid within 18 months from travel date)
  2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months
  3. Document indicating current location (driving license, bank statement, or proof of stay)
  4. Recent bank statement showing the applicant's name and ending balance of no less than $30,000 or proof of monthly income of not less than $2,500/month) along with the current bank statement showing incoming income
  5. FBI or certificate of criminal record clearance issued from State or Federal Bureau of Investigation only (Issue within 3 months).
    An online criminal record without an authorized signature is unacceptable
  6. Medical certificates showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months. All applicants are required to use our form only (Download) and signed by the medical provider with hospital or medical stamp
  7. Health Insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant O-A 
  • Effective from 1 October 2021, the applicant must be insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:
    – Health insurance must cover COVID-19 disease with the total sum insured of no less than 3,000,000 THB or $100,000 per policy year

The applicants must submit the following:

• Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:

(a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the insurance policy document; Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed, and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form. Please contact your insurance company since this Foreign Insurance Certificate is mandatory

(b) In the case of a Thai insurance company that is on the list, the applicant must submit the insurance policy document. A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org

If you notice an applicant now has to prove bank balance of $30,000 USD(approximately 1 Million Baht) or $2500 per month income(approximately 88,000 Baht).

• Thanks 2

How is any of that new? Seems the same requirements for O-A visa since they upped the health insurance to 3 million baht a couple of years ago

Note: all embassies seem to use a poor exchange rate so more required than 800k baht. Australia requires A$54,545 for O-A which is about 1.25 million baht instead of 800k

Regarding O-A visa, I know it's valid for a year with multi-entry and every time you come back you get another 12 months (subject to insurance to that date). This means leave and re-enter just before validity expiry and you get 2 years out of it (needing re-entry permit in 2nd year).

Or, if you want to get a further 12 month extension of O-A without leaving Thailand, do you need to show 800k baht in Thai bank, or show your original home bank account again?

3 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

How is any of that new? Seems the same requirements for O-A visa since they upped the health insurance to 3 million baht a couple of years ago

Note: all embassies seem to use a poor exchange rate so more required than 800k baht. Australia requires A$54,545 for O-A which is about 1.25 million baht instead of 800k

First time I have seen the LA Consulate post financial requirements in US Dollars. 800,000 Baht in today’s rate is $22,764 and 65,000 Baht is $1849.  These numbers are way different than $30,000 and $2500.  These numbers might disqualify some. Or this is an indication of future requirements? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

First time I have seen the LA Consulate post financial requirements in US Dollars. 800,000 Baht in today’s rate is $22,764 and 65,000 Baht is $1849.  These numbers are way different than $30,000 and $2500.  These numbers might disqualify some. Or this is an indication of future requirements? 

As I said in my post above, it's just the poor exchange rate the embassies use. Another example is O-A visa officially costs 5000 baht, which is A$217, but embassy in Australia charge A$300

36 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

if you want to get a further 12 month extension of O-A without leaving Thailand, do you need to show 800k baht in Thai bank, or show your original home bank account again?

~ When applying for the 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa at your local Imm Office the same requirements as for a 1-year exension based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement are applicable.  But on top of that the Non Imm O-A extension ALSO requires a Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy issued by a Thai TGIA associated insurer  (foreign Health insurance even if it meets the coverage requirements, is not accepted). 

Also note that the first time you apply for a 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O-A Visa, that this can only be done for reason of retirement.

And it's only after that first 1-year extension, that you could consider switching to a 1-year extension for reason of marriage to a Thai national.  And such 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa but for reason of marriage, does NOT require the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance. 

31 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

~ When applying for the 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa at your local Imm Office the same requirements as for a 1-year exension based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement are applicable.  But on top of that the Non Imm O-A extension ALSO requires a Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy issued by a Thai TGIA associated insurer  (foreign Health insurance even if it meets the coverage requirements, is not accepted). 

Also note that the first time you apply for a 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O-A Visa, that this can only be done for reason of retirement.

And it's only after that first 1-year extension, that you could consider switching to a 1-year extension for reason of marriage to a Thai national.  And such 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa but for reason of marriage, does NOT require the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance. 

Thanks for all that, but a simple "yes, you need to have 800k baht in Thai bank" would have sufficed lol

Now I know to milk 2 years out of the initial O-A before having to bank 800k

Edited by Pattaya57

45 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Thanks for all that, but a simple "yes, you need to have 800k baht in Thai bank" would have sufficed lol

Now I know to milk 2 years out of the initial O-A before having to bank 800k

~

You can of course at the end of the 2nd year instead of applying for the 1-year extension of stay at your local Imm Office (requiring +800k on a personal Thai bank-account), simply apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa, and repeat the 2-year cycle.  That way you would not have to deal with local Thai Imm Offices, nor have to semi-permanently keep +800K on a Thai bank-account.

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

As I said in my post above, it's just the poor exchange rate the embassies use. Another example is O-A visa officially costs 5000 baht, which is A$217, but embassy in Australia charge A$300

800,000 Baht / $30,000 = 26.67 Baht and 65,000 Baht / $2500 = 26 Baht.  Currently $1 = 35.14 Baht.  This is a major fluctuation in Thai Baht to USD exchange rates. 

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

800,000 Baht / $30,000 = 26.67 Baht and 65,000 Baht / $2500 = 26 Baht.  Currently $1 = 35.14 Baht.  This is a major fluctuation in Thai Baht to USD exchange rates. 

As is 800,000 Baht / A$54,545 = 14.67 instead of 23 for Australia but it is what it is (application fee seems to use 16.67 exchange)

Note that Australia has 2 choices to apply. Sydney is $54,545 (1.25 million baht) or Canberra which says 800,000 Baht equivalent. Likely different thai embassies in US also differ between Baht and $ equivelent 

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

As is 800,000 Baht / A$54,545 = 14.67 instead of 23 for Australia but it is what it is (application fee seems to use 16.67 exchange)

Note that Australia has 2 choices to apply. Sydney is $54,545 (1.25 million baht) or Canberra which says 800,000 Baht equivalent. Likely different thai embassies in US also differ between Baht and $ equivelent 

Ok. I am not talking about the AUD.  This information was posted on the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website.  So the relevant currencies would the USD and THB.  Currently the THB to USD exchange rate is 35 to 1. 

21 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Ok. I am not talking about the AUD.  This information was posted on the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website.  So the relevant currencies would the USD and THB.  Currently the THB to USD exchange rate is 35 to 1. 

I'm saying Thai Embassy/Consulate exchange rates are stupidly wrong all over the World. LA is not special and it's not an increase in the 800k baht requirement

Edited by Pattaya57

17 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Regarding O-A visa, I know it's valid for a year with multi-entry and every time you come back you get another 12 months (subject to insurance to that date). This means leave and re-enter just before validity expiry and you get 2 years out of it (needing re-entry permit in 2nd year).

Or, if you want to get a further 12 month extension of O-A without leaving Thailand, do you need to show 800k baht in Thai bank, or show your original home bank account again?

There is only Single Entry and Double Entry (slightly more expensive). There is Multiple Entry Non O-A visa.

2 hours ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

I just checked my US consulate and the DC page still shows 800K THB. The LA consulate has always been sketchy with the info so I wonder if you just apply with the standard 800K USD equivalent, you get it nonetheless.

Doubt it.  They now require bank statements showing the $30,000 in the account or direct deposit of $2500 or more if one is using the income/pension method. 

19 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Agreed.I switched from the O-A from the Royal Thai Consulate with extensions for 12 years, to an "O" Visa based on Thai Spouse this last year. I continue to transfer the 65,000 baht per month as that is what we spend anyway. Just ditched the useless (in my case) health insurance requirement.  $2500.00 USD per month might well cause me problems, my sustainable monthly transfer is $2200.00.

Hello, thank you for the information for those who need it. I am applying for OA from a specialized service provider and your list is complete, indeed. Small detail, for the identity photo, in order to avoid the file being refused you must go to a photographer, who you ask him to send you the photo in jpg by email. For those who have decided to stay in Thailand beyond the visa expiry date, you can renew your OA non-immigrant multiple entry visa by ensuring that you have at least 800,000 Baht in an account in Thailand. To open one you will need a certificate of residence, the yellow booklet and/or the foreign resident identity card.

17 hours ago, andy said:

Does the LA consulate accept US bank accounts with the 30k?  Or does this money need to be in Thailand?

Has anyone done the "foreign insurance certificate form" with their non-Thai insurance?  How much of a hassle was this?  Having lived in Thailand before, I'd never sign up with a Thai insurance company...

#1 Yes

#2. Agree with you and I have been with Pacific Cross for years and the last time I up loaded the insurance document from Pac Cross(page 2 was in Thai) and the consulate still wanted the Foreign Insurance Document?  Pac Cross was nice enough to complete this document for me.  "TIT".

3 hours ago, andy said:

How easy is it to get California criminal record clearance these days?  I had to get a couple for work many years ago, and I remember being able to go to a digital fingerprint scanner and the whole process being fairly quick.  Is this still the case?

I got one two years ago.   Digital Fingerprints submitted at a Print/Notary type place at 200 PM and the results were emailed to me in two hours.  I got the FBI fingerprint background check and it was $47 dollars.  It should be the same for a California DOJ check.  There are two main companies that provide this service. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:36 AM, sqwakvfr said:

#1 Yes

#2. Agree with you and I have been with Pacific Cross for years and the last time I up loaded the insurance document from Pac Cross(page 2 was in Thai) and the consulate still wanted the Foreign Insurance Document?  Pac Cross was nice enough to complete this document for me.  "TIT".

I just applied for my OA visa last month.  My US insurance company would not sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate.  They only issue an insurance verification letter. I had to buy a Thai insurance policy to meet the requirement. 

On 12/10/2023 at 6:04 AM, sqwakvfr said:

I got one two years ago.   Digital Fingerprints submitted at a Print/Notary type place at 200 PM and the results were emailed to me in two hours.  I got the FBI fingerprint background check and it was $47 dollars.  It should be the same for a California DOJ check.  There are two main companies that provide this service. 

For the non-Immigrant O-A visa, are both local (California) and federal (FBI) criminal background checks required?

9 hours ago, andy said:

For a year?  Must be complete garbage coverage at that price, but cheap enough to do it for visa purposes if you have to I guess.

Yes, for a year.  It meets minimum coverage for visa purposes.  I'll never use this insurance policy.  I consider this as a part of the cost of doing business.  I have my own insurance that covers me worldwide but isn't accepted by the Thai visa folks.