Non-o based on Thai spouse Savannakhet

I am planning to visit the consulate in Savannakhet to get a Non-o visa based on Thai spouse.

I understand that they don't issue multiple entry visas without prove of 400k.

But they still issue single entry visas without financial prove, if I got it right.

Would appreciate if somebody can confirm this.

Also, I read somewhere that a bank statement showing a minimum balance of 20k THB over the last three months would be necessary.

In the past at some borders they ask to see 10k THB for singles and 20k THB for families in cash or the equivalent in foreign currency.

Can somebody confirm if cash or bank statement is required when entering Thailand?

Thank you very much in advance for your consideration

• Confused 1

A 400,000 baht bank balance would be a new requirement, if thats true. I think you are mixing multi non-O requirements with retirement visa requirements or visa extension requirements. That would be major bad news for many and close a major loophole. Yikes!

Because of the COVID border closures, I stopped doing the 1 year multi-entry non-O spouse visit visa at Savannahkhet, so

I have been out of the loop for the last three years and on yearly extensions at the local immigration branch. I have checked periodically on here to see that evrything is the same and if there was a change i missed it. Just do a search on here, there should be numerous reports.

I was just going to check if people are getting their one year extensions on here or if they are arbitrarily denying people now for whatever reason. I was given a month stamp to wait till my paperwork was processed as usual but this time i am about out of time and they still have not gotten back to me. For the last two years they finished everything in a week but they haven't phoned us yet and its just about time over. Who knows, internal immigration and getting an extension is about a lot of games and gauntlets, so maybe thats all it is or that they are simply busier than before. maybe more people are coming back and applying to stay longer because they think the pandemic restrictions are lifted. In the past here they used to put my employers through the wringer every year, their own government univeristies for whom I used to work. They treat even foreign professors like we are some huge liability, they don't want to give extensions to professors, its actually smoother now that i am not employed in Thailand. So, maybe they just want to make me squirm a bit before they give me the stamp on the last day of my 1 month wait for visa extension. Its part of their job description to make applicants feel unwelcome.

Sorry, blah blah blah, right? But my plan B is to go to Savannakhet and if they are now asking for 400,000 that is going to be very tight I barely have above that, it never occurred to me I might need to prove I have 400,000 plus for yet another month. I really hope your info is mistaken.

7 minutes ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

A 400,000 baht bank balance would be a new requirement, if thats true. I think you are mixing multi non-O requirements with retirement visa requirements or visa extension requirements. That would be major bad news for many and close a major loophole. Yikes!

@bogus1965 is correct.
According to recent reports, you are now required to provide evidence of the equivalent of 400K THB in a bank account for the 1-year Non Imm O multi entry visa based on Thai spouse/family.

13 minutes ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

I was just going to check if people are getting their one year extensions on here or if they are arbitrarily denying people now for whatever reason. I was given a month stamp to wait till my paperwork was processed as usual but this time i am about out of time and they still have not gotten back to me.

You're not out of time.

You have an under consideration stamp and until your application is approved you cannot be on overstay.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

Thanks Licorice. That's relief, I was really starting to panic this evening.

I usually apply 45 days prior to my current permission of stay expiring, but the under consideration stamp is dated for 30 days after my current permission of stay expired.
I tend to be notified my application is approved a week before the date on the under consideration stamp.

The extension stamp is backdated to the extension renewal date.

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

I usually apply 45 days prior to my current permission of stay expiring, but the under consideration stamp is dated for 30 days after my current permission of stay expired.
I tend to be notified my application is approved a week before the date on the under consideration stamp.

The extension stamp is backdated to the extension renewal date.

Yes, as do i, but this time they told me to wait until the day my 90 day reporting time had arrived which was 2 days before my stay expired. I explained I'd feel more comfortable to do it before and they said no, wait.

Thinking about your reply actually I now understand it. It is not a relief actually, I'm at the end of the consideration period and yes I understand I will not be on overstay during that time, the issue is that time is just about up and they still haven't contacted us. I don't assume they will approve my application as you seem to. They never promise to contact us at all but the they have the last three years. What they do say everytime is "Come to the office on the day the consideration period is finished." I have often wondered what happens next if i don;t get the extension and the consideration period has ended. I may soon find out.

42 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I can confirm, as others have, that you need to show proof of funds at Savankhet now, 400K.

I was there last week.

thank you very much.

did you apply for a multiple entry or single entry?

did you had to show any money at the immigration at the border?

Edited by bogus1965

9 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

Because of the COVID border closures, I stopped doing the 1 year multi-entry non-O spouse visit visa at Savannahkhet, so

I have been out of the loop for the last three years and on yearly extensions at the local immigration branch. I have checked periodically on here to see that evrything is the same and if there was a change i missed it. Just do a search on here, there should be numerous reports.

I was just going to check if people are getting their one year extensions on here or if they are arbitrarily denying people now for whatever reason. I was given a month stamp to wait till my paperwork was processed as usual but this time i am about out of time and they still have not gotten back to me. For the last two years they finished everything in a week but they haven't phoned us yet and its just about time over. Who knows, internal immigration and getting an extension is about a lot of games and gauntlets, so maybe thats all it is or that they are simply busier than before. maybe more people are coming back and applying to stay longer because they think the pandemic restrictions are lifted. In the past here they used to put my employers through the wringer every year, their own government univeristies for whom I used to work. They treat even foreign professors like we are some huge liability, they don't want to give extensions to professors, its actually smoother now that i am not employed in Thailand. So, maybe they just want to make me squirm a bit before they give me the stamp on the last day of my 1 month wait for visa extension. Its part of their job description to make applicants feel unwelcome.

Sorry, blah blah blah, right? But my plan B is to go to Savannakhet and if they are now asking for 400,000 that is going to be very tight I barely have above that, it never occurred to me I might need to prove I have 400,000 plus for yet another month. I really hope your info is mistaken.

as many reported and their website is stating you'll need to show 400k in your bank account when Appling for multiple entry visa non o based on marriage.

it was also said it does not to be seasoned. 

however, I'd like to know if they issue single entry non o based on marriage without financial prove.

1 hour ago, bogus1965 said:

as many reported and their website is stating you'll need to show 400k in your bank account when Appling for multiple entry visa non o based on marriage.

it was also said it does not to be seasoned. 

however, I'd like to know if they issue single entry non o based on marriage without financial prove.

Yes they are still issuing non o 90 day single entry for parent/marriage without financial proof. I was there last week. Also I was not asked about the 10/20k at the border. Still very easy to get this type of visa, for now at least. 

50 minutes ago, dontpanic said:

Yes they are still issuing non o 90 day single entry for parent/marriage without financial proof. I was there last week. Also I was not asked about the 10/20k at the border. Still very easy to get this type of visa, for now at least. 

thank you very much.

that was the information I was hoping for.

22 minutes ago, bogus1965 said:

thank you very much.

that was the information I was hoping for.

Towards the end of that 90 day entry from the single entry Non Imm O, you can apply for a further 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse before applying for a new visa again.

9 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

Thinking about your reply actually I now understand it. It is not a relief actually, I'm at the end of the consideration period and yes I understand I will not be on overstay during that time, the issue is that time is just about up and they still haven't contacted us. I don't assume they will approve my application as you seem to. They never promise to contact us at all but the they have the last three years. What they do say everytime is "Come to the office on the day the consideration period is finished." I have often wondered what happens next if i don;t get the extension and the consideration period has ended. I may soon find out.

Your under consideration stamp will state, "application of stay is under consideration of the Immigration Bureau. Applicant must contact this office again in person on XYZ"

If you've not heard beforehand, then contact your IO on the given date as instructed.

If your local IO accepted your application, then I've never heard of a case being refused by the regional office ........requested further documents, yes, but not a refusal.
Your application is under consideration for as long as it takes to approve, and whilst under consideration you cannot be on overstay.
If an extension application is refused, you should be given a stamp allowing 7 days to leave the Country.

55 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Towards the end of that 90 day entry from the single entry Non Imm O, you can apply for a further 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse before applying for a new visa again.

thank you for the additional information.

hope that by then I can use my company income (with work permit of course) as financial prove to get a one year extension of stay.

right know the company is to young and no social security had been paid.

that's the reason I just need the single entry for now.

anyway, if anything goes sideways I will use the 60 day extension to get all ducks in a row.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

The definition of spouse is a 'husband' or 'wife'.

Maybe in Thailand, spouse is a very old terminology for wife, a long term partner relationship is also recognized as a spouse in the UK. I moved to OZ with my long term GF from the UK and she was considered my spouse on the immigration visa form, she got there solely on my qualifications. 

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Maybe in Thailand, spouse is a very old terminology for wife, a long term partner relationship is also recognized as a spouse in the UK. I moved to OZ with my long term GF from the UK and she was considered my spouse on the immigration visa form, she got there solely on my qualifications. 

Partners can be defined as a married or unmarried couple.

I always thought Australians called their married partners 'Sheilas'.   :cheesy:

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bogus1965 said:

thank you very much.

did you apply for a multiple entry or single entry?

did you had to show any money at the immigration at the border?

I got a multi non O based on marriage.

I took with me a 3 month bank statement dated 2 days before the application, along with the other requirements.

Nothing to show at the border, only consulate.

On 12/7/2023 at 11:34 AM, Liquorice said:

Your under consideration stamp will state, "application of stay is under consideration of the Immigration Bureau. Applicant must contact this office again in person on XYZ"

If you've not heard beforehand, then contact your IO on the given date as instructed.

If your local IO accepted your application, then I've never heard of a case being refused by the regional office ........requested further documents, yes, but not a refusal.
Your application is under consideration for as long as it takes to approve, and whilst under consideration you cannot be on overstay.
If an extension application is refused, you should be given a stamp allowing 7 days to leave the Country.

Thats good to hear Liquorice, thank you for attending to this thread, with Ubon Joe having passed away, glad to see others are showing similar kindness and care about the expat community, I truly appreciate it. But, yes, I was wondering about that, who has the majprity of the power in making the decision to extend our stay.

I had an additional problem as well, my go to office date is for a Saturday when I'm pretty sure they are closed, I finally called to ask about the Saturday come to office date and they told me the visa extension had already arrived. Perhaps they called by couldn't get through or it all fell through the cracks. Oh well...sure glad there wasn't an issue and that I'd have to go to Savanakhet and get a new multi, bummer you have to show them 400k now. A recent report confirmed that, but at least it does not have to be seasoned for 3 months (our Immigration branch office only, most offices its 2 months, people need to ask their branch office and not assume it is the same everywhere). The report on this forum from a few weeks ago said he topped up his savings account only a few days before going to the Thai consulate in Savanakhet. Also, he said that's only for multi entry non-O spouse, single entry 1 month spouse non-O's only require 20k, but if I was you I'd read around on this forum and double check. All the best everyone, take care.