178/187 day split to avoid tax resident status.

bob smith

41 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Thanks for getting back, will have to investigate if I could download or request a calander year something from HMRC.

Never done a tax return, always had  payroll departments to do that and since 5 years ago all my income sstreams are tax deducted at source or under tax free savings. Checked  on the online web page then  phoned  HMRC back then to double check if they wanted one, as I was trading a few stock (below the allowance at.that time) HMRC said no, we can see everything on their screenI  

I think the P60s are just circumstantial as they don't match the period applicable to a Thai return, could present them and see if the like general evidence of tax paid..

Thanks again.

I think it’s highly unlikely that HMRC would do anything for you as there is no easy way to do it.

as I said the P60 is far from just circumstantial, if the time comes you will have to do the calculation from the P60 and tax return. It isn’t difficult just a bit laborious, and may never be necessary.

FWIW I have been submitting U.K.  tax returns for over 30 years and Japanese that returns for probably 15 years. Difficult? No.
Bothersome? A bit

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 10:55 PM, nickmondo said:

Having said that..........TIT.   they might just deduct 35% tax from everything we send over and let us fight to get it back.

This will not work. The bank cannot charge 35% tax (tax is progressive, not a flat rate). Banks do not know who is a resident or a non-resident. Banks will vigorously oppose it.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

This will not work. The bank cannot charge 35% tax (tax is progressive, not a flat rate). Banks do not know who is a resident or a non-resident. Banks will vigorously oppose it.

Oh how wonderful to be so lacking in knowledge!

The Thai banks know exactly who is a resident and who isn’t and they are already deducting a flat rate (20%) tax from the vast majority of foreigners, the only way to get interest from the bank without paying tax is to go in and give them your Thai tax ID number.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You keep on harping on about immigration officers counting days when they would have nothing to do with that!!!

Let's see, it was you that said "No certificate no exit. Unpaid tax? No exit."

Please explain who you say will stop the exit and how they'll do that.  Perhaps you're suggesting they'll post revenue officers at the international airports and a traveler would have get past them before seeing the exit immigration officers?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, CMBob said:

Let's see, it was you that said "No certificate no exit. Unpaid tax? No exit."

Please explain who you say will stop the exit and how they'll do that.  Perhaps you're suggesting they'll post revenue officers at the international airports and a traveler would have get past them before seeing the exit immigration officers?

You are the one banging on about how difficult it would be for immigration officers to count days in country. You also are either deliberately misunderstanding or can’t understand that they don’t need to.

i have explained that the immigration department would have nothing to do with that (days in country and tax payable) as it’s the revenue department’s job

Should it ever come to pass it would be the immigration department’s job, specifically the IO  giving exit clearance to,  as they used to years ago, check that the person exiting has a valid exit clearance tax certificate. As to how they stop someone with incorrect or missing documents? Exactly the same way as they do it today, politely, calmly, quietly (if possible) requesting the traveler accompany them to the supervisory desk and going from there, to what ever is deemed appropriate, it could include returning to the nearest tax office to get a clearance document, I don’t know as I never required one since at that time I was always visiting as a tourist and tourists didn’t need clearance.

They did it before, something like 20+ years ago. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The Thai banks know exactly who is a resident and who isn’t and they are already deducting a flat rate (20%) tax from the vast majority of foreigners, the only way to get interest from the bank without paying tax is to go in and give them your Thai tax ID number.

Comparing the interest rate deduction to money brought to Thailand is not the same. Interest rates are accrued when money is kept in the account. If you withdraw it immediately after a deposit in the account, there is no interest or deduction. Moreover, they deduct for every person, whether you stay 180 days or not.