Bye bye Thailand, thanks for nothing!

ujayujay

22 hours ago, Celsius said:

What idiot makes money in Thailand?

LOL

There are quite a few of us who make a nice living here. We pay taxes, employ a lot of people, and generally contribute to society. We don't tend to bang on about it. 😉

I'm not sure why working here and making money makes us "idiots". 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

My parting gift, because I feel sorry for you.

Screenshot (36).png

I see my mistake. On my phone** I needed to slide over to the fees. Do you see all those 'other fees' under implant? Those are commonly associated with the procedure.

As someone has just verified, they paid US 2800 in CM for the procedure, 7k US. I think this is 1.5k over the top. My mother had this done for about 5500usd

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I have read on this forum dozens of times of Trump-types outraged that migrants in the USA get medical care, social services, education when they are not US citizens.

Therefore, I expect they will be first in line to pay Thai taxes with a smile, lest they be thought of as foreigner freeloaders.

If you believe in America First back home, (or no benefits for asylum seekers in Europe), then what's wrong with Thai people believing in Thailand First about us -we who are much, much richer than migrants and asylum seekers?

Those immigrants you cited are also not getting pensions from previous work.  I for one, not a democrat or Republican but realize that the US cannot survive with OPEN borders.  Right now the estimate is over 12 million illegals and more pouring in daily.  With the limited immigration courts, that gives them years to run around the US (no 90-day or TM-30 reports).  I am against all the freebies that cause local taxes  (especially noticable in Dem controlled states/cities) have to be increased monthly just to give it to these immigrants.  My opinion anywayu.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Galong said:

There are quite a few of us who make a nice living here. We pay taxes, employ a lot of people, and generally contribute to society. We don't tend to bang on about it. 😉

I'm not sure why working here and making money makes us "idiots". 

If he's referring to teachers he would be correct with those numbers and opinions

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Your jumping the gun , wait till something happens ,they say they are going to do a lot of

things (the Government) they do u-turns when they realize it's a stupid idea , happens a lot.

if it does ,but doubt they are going to tax your pension ,they would know what would happen 

if they did that.......

regards Worgeordie

indeed a stupid idea by the government 

2 hours ago, Fr87 said:

Thailand has this perfect blend of inexpensive, efficient and soft living. It's very easy to get settled in even for someone who's never been abroad. Undeniable. Too easy for my liking

I would imagine as they (Vietnam, Cambodia) build up their infrastructure expats will follow. Bali has the infrastructure but not the policies. Vietnam with it's coasts will be a winner. Philippines has so many issues and problems it will only attract the working class, grittier expat that can suffer the food, blackouts, chaos and crime.

Times will be getting much tougher and that old moniker of Land of Smiles is sadly gone. Thai people have it as hard as anyone else and this will just get more difficult as the economy cannot jump to a more mature, advanced, well paying status.

Thais do have it rought (some of them) if you notice the news today, poor working stiffs here will be getting 330-370 baht a DAY - I really don't see how they can survive - oh yeah recently another news article said that soon the population of Thailand could be 33 million citizens as opposed to today's number of 66 million citizens because folks are having fewer children - that is probably because they can't afford them!  This is a great place for many ex-pats, I love it, immigration requirements are considerably easier now that years ago for sure.  Cost is still a lot better than at home. My opinion anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Fr87 said:

If he's referring to teachers he would be correct with those numbers and opinions

Ah, teachers... yes.  Small business owners like myself do just fine here and play by the rules. Thailand has been a very easy place to run a small tour company. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

If I was some pi yai in government reading this thread I would be more than satisfied that we were over the target. A previous poster who said their wife would go back to voting for the junta has a naive faith that they would reverse the direction of travel. They have found a huge amount of money untaxed and easily traceable in the digital age. Governments of whatever stripe are not going to be able to resist dipping into this pool.

Exactly....look at the US govt and the SS fund - govt continues to rob it to meet obligations to enrich the richer and in just a few years, the old folks who built that fund will be the ones suffering!!!!!!! this is fact!

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Surasak said:

$215=£180 approx To a UK pensioner, that can be a fair slice of their income.

That's on a $25K annual remittance as per the table in this thread. If it comes to pass.

Many people here don't like that and are engaged in a war against arithmetic, I guess to go along with the war on Christmas.

When you lived in the UK, were you happy to see Non-Doms taxed? Did you, like most people there, want them taxed even more?

Well, welcome to shoe on the other foot-land. 

Swissie, one of our deepest thinkers, had a good thread called "The Doors Are Slamming Shut". He meant on low income retiree's options world-wide. Poor places will def be looking to expats to pay up,

24 minutes ago, gunner1 said:

I cannot see anywhere on the website that mentions "retirement" income.

Then they don't differentiate. It's all just income.

The point I'd made earlier with pension income is that in most cases the person will be filing taxes in home country as thresholds so low. Even if you combine super low pension with investments you gotta hit the taxable level - therefore, gotta file. Issue is moot.

In most cases in US: social security is taxable as most pension income at federal level.

16 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I have read on this forum dozens of times of Trump-types outraged that migrants in the USA get medical care, social services, education when they are not US citizens.

Therefore, I expect they will be first in line to pay Thai taxes with a smile, lest they be thought of as foreigner freeloaders.

If you believe in America First back home, (or no benefits for asylum seekers in Europe), then what's wrong with Thai people believing in Thailand First about us -we who are much, much richer than migrants and asylum seekers?

Apples and oranges.

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Income is the key word... that is what is being taxed.

You do understand this, Yes or No ?

yes your English language understanding is co

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yes you understand the meaning that English-language word -  but those who are deciding the taxes, are Thai and they may translate to something totally alien to us.  Wait until Jan to find out for sure.

15 minutes ago, Surasak said:

$215=£180 approx To a UK pensioner, that can be a fair slice of their income.

Google tells me the average pension for a single UK person is £242.00 per week.

Tax (if indeed it has to be paid in full) would be Bt.710.00 a week.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Apples and oranges.

Nah, people don't want to pay for non-nationals, in every place in the world. It's a human nature kind of thing.

Just like Thai people don't want to pay for your share of infrastructure and government service usage.

Yes, it's nice that you stuck $22K in a bank account (assuming you even did, and didn't use an agent).

But what have you done for them lately?

6 minutes ago, Fr87 said:

Then they don't differentiate. It's all just income.

The point I'd made earlier with pension income is that in most cases the person will be filing taxes in home country as thresholds so low. Even if you combine super low pension with investments you gotta hit the taxable level - therefore, gotta file. Issue is moot.

In most cases in US: social security is taxable as most pension income at federal level.

Also, many of the states in the US also tax both SS and govt/mil pensions!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

yes your English language understanding is co

Yes you understand the meaning that English-language word -  but those who are deciding the taxes, are Thai and they may translate to something totally alien to us.  Wait until Jan to find out for sure.

You think Thai's are moron and do not know what is and what isn't income ?

Thailand might not be the place for you methinks.

Or maybe it is you that is struggling with what is and what isn't income.

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

Nah, people don't want to pay for non-nationals, in every place in the world. It's a human nature kind of thing.

Just like Thai people don't want to pay for your share of infrastructure and government service usage.

Yes, it's nice that you stuck $22K in a bank account (assuming you even did, and didn't use an agent).

But what have you done for them lately?

I do believe that the first comment about paying for immigrants is the western-world problem today and that is why the far-right politicians are enjoying a better ride in elections.  You sure don't see the folks from countries ruled by autocrats mentioning this problem do you?

1 minute ago, Presnock said:

You sure don't see the folks from countries ruled by autocrats mentioning this problem do you?

It's a mean ol' world and the Con side is doing a very good job of winning, despite a huge demographic disadvantage. Respect.

Someone told (Saint) Obama that he needed to talk tougher. Replied O: "Nah, what I needed was more votes".

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Well, the problem is not that they claim a different meaning, it is the "Thainess" of the meaning for the tax law that THEY are writing.  And that should still be "earned" income which means something entirely different to them and us maybe.

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

It can actually be complicated to define what is income.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Only over a certain level in a formula mixed with any other income if any. In my case not at all.

Again, thanks for pointing this out.

Real life examples with real life math are always light on the ground here.

Edited by Prubangboy

Just now, Prubangboy said:

It's a mean ol' world and the Con side is doing a very good job of winning, despite a huge demographic disadvantage. Respect.

Someone told (Saint) Obama that he needed to talk tougher. Replied O: "Nah, what I needed was more votes".

Yeah, check out O and his stand on Iran - now the world is going to pay for it.  Just ike little rocket man or a cockroach, if you don't stomp on it immediately, millions more will follow that original one.