Bye bye Thailand, thanks for nothing!

ujayujay

23 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

You seem as bitter as Neem Oil and as knowledgeable as a US Republican House member.

In one post you said nobody here is in a 35% tax bracket. Wrong. I'm in the highest US tax bracket just through TBill interest alone, never mind dividends and capital gains, and I suspect there are some other members here (maybe Mr Rolex himself) so burdened by good fortune and dumb luck.

I bought a Thai business during Covid, I make a nice profit, and I'm not miserable. My business pays Thai taxes, both VAT and income. I'd gladly be a sex tourist, but I have a lovely Thai girlfriend and am content with her alone.

Membership here varies considerably. Don't make assumptions or spout inaccurate generalizations.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only thing this new program will do to me is require many more forms and document submissions, as I already pay more than the Thai top income bracket, and the US has a tax treaty with Thailand. I bring no outside funds into Thailand either.

I do have sympathy to European pensioners, as it may cost them.

Yes!  "and as knowledgeable as a US Republican House member."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

We rich folk have this great little thing called OPTIONS.

I can pretty much live wherever I want and not worry about how much it costs.

In the end if they do decide to enact such a ridiculous policy then it will be Thailands loss, not mine.

I too am like you, however, with a DTA between my country and Thailand, I am not bothered in the least as taxes are paid back in the old country, so if they ever implement what everyone is freaking over, I have nothing to worry about, perhaps some extra paperwork at best, i.e. if I remit annual funds from my "savings" account, which is separate to my share holdings, whereby dividends get paid into a different account as do any capital gains.

My savings are my savings, not income earned, and they pay a 10% withholding tax on any interest earned.

Most people have their nickers in a not, because they can't see past their bottle of Chang/Leo.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, RayWright said:

As @TorquayFan lawyer says, "Wait and see".

Take a read of Barry's article in today's Pattaya Mail.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/myths-about-thai-expats-and-those-income-tax-changes-starting-very-soon-447262

Thanks. A nice clear article although I would take issue with one of his comments depending on your perception -

nor off-shore bank accounts hiding their cash.

"hiding" suggests evasion whereas many people use off shore accounts quite legitimately. If a UK person is registered as non-resident for tax it could make sense to hold investments off shore and under the current Thai rules can pay no tax on the income generated. I know that is different for US folks.

When/if the new rules come to pass that option unfortunately disappears. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

In the end if they do decide to enact such a ridiculous policy then it will be Thailands loss, not mine.

Well said Bob.

They will miss us white skinned Farang really soon!

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Perhaps you didn't read this article in The Thai Enquirer @ujayujay, which is where most of us first became aware of this tax issue.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/50744/thai-government-to-tax-all-income-from-abroad-for-tax-residents-starting-2024/

As far pensioners are concerned the most important paragraph is this one:

'The program will begin January 1, 2024 and apply only to tax residents in Thailand meaning tourists and short term workers will be exempt. Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand'.

Got it now?

That's meaningless!

Do you believe everything written in newspapers?

Egads.

Do you realize how often major lost in translation stuff gets published here?

Countries with double taxation treaties are subject to unique treaties for their country. 

Exempt?

Meaning what?

Totally exempt or only exempt for the amount of tax paid if any in the home country?

Your link doesn't resolve anything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Also exempt will be those who have been taxed in a foreign country that has a standing Double Tax Agreement with Thailand'.

Best case scenario: they use that as a way to not have to use RD resources chasing small sums from non Thai speakers.

Worst case scenario: They insist on proof of home country payment and no excess payable in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Well said Bob.

They will miss us white skinned Farang really soon!

I think it's a pretty sure bet both of you will stay put, regardless of what happens.

After all, this would create too many new opportunities for complaints etc. - would be a shame to miss out, wouldn't it?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My level considering most of my income.is US social security which is treated advantageously has no US tax so double tax credits do  nothing for me in Thailand. 

You're right. Low income people (below $25K a year) do in fact pay no tax in the US and therefore have no credit to apply against a Thai tax credit. 

With no tax credit to apply against a $25K remittance, the annual tax due to Thailand as per the above table is 91K baht ($2,588, $215 a month).

No one likes an extra bill, but recall that you're also not paying state income tax and getting much cheaper medical insurance and care here. Plus cheaper-everything like phone utilities etc.

• Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I pay for Medicare Part B and get nothing for it.

But I think being taxed on foreign sourced income as expats is a very unfair.

You can opt out of Medicare Part B. It would prob pay for your new Thai Tax bill.

Most countries have some kind of tax for remitted income. In Mexico and Brazil, they tax ALL world wide income, whether remitted or not. At crazy high rates that kick in early

Unpopular opinion: We live here, we use the road, police ect. So Thailand deserves some revenue for that.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Unpopular opinion: We live here, we use the road, police ect. So Thailand deserves some revenue for that.

I have read on this forum dozens of times of Trump-types outraged that migrants in the USA get medical care, social services, education when they are not US citizens.

Therefore, I expect they will be first in line to pay Thai taxes with a smile, lest they be thought of as foreigner freeloaders.

If you believe in America First back home, (or no benefits for asylum seekers in Europe), then what's wrong with Thai people believing in Thailand First about us -we who are much, much richer than migrants and asylum seekers?

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Celsius said:

Hahaha.... this table must be a joke, right?

I mean, just look at it..... Thailand pretending to be a high income developed country that it isn't.

Thank god that after filing a tax return,  you mugs will have access to permanent residency and free healthcare!

And you don't have to worry about 90 day reports too!

WHAT A RELIEF!

"Thank god that after filing a tax return,  you mugs will have access to permanent residency and free healthcare!" 

Can you please expand the details of this. Thanks.

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

Well said Bob, we are not at all linked to Thailand where they don't want to integrate us due to pure racism therefore they always indicate on our non-immigration extension with regular checks to see if we are still where we live, which civilized country does this? Only in countries where dictatorship exists.

So if they continue to bust my balls I have no problem with changing country.

• Like 1