Taxes refund

franckpattaya

13 minutes ago, BusyB said:

The THB120,000 threshold m u s t affect almost anyone on a Non-O (+ extension), or similar, who spends 180 days a year in country. That, unless they can prove dual taxation agreements with their home country.

120,000/12 = 10,000 = $281.00/month

There is no one not begging on the streets who is living in Thailand on less than 281 dollars a month for 180 days or more. Not even in Pattaya behind a 7-11.

Not necessarily, in fact, many people will not qualify because it has to be assessable income, not just money that is remitted here. US SSc recipients for example can receive far in excess of the threshold but since that income is excluded by treaty, it is not assessable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Presnock said:

Not to start any problems but as it says in the above "earned" income...most retirees are here on a pension and a retirement visa person is not allowed to work to earn a salary or benefits of any kind.

As far as the tax return is concerned, pensions are in the same category, See section A of the tax return linked below

2 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Not to start any problems but as it says in the above "earned" income...most retirees are here on a pension and a retirement visa person is not allowed to work to earn a salary or benefits of any kind.

You may be right, and I'm no expert and don't want to start a discussion. However it appears to me to be about income that is brought into the country.

All I really set out to do is point out that the threshold is extremely low. But as I said only those without a dual taxation agreement will face any problems.

I'm well over that threshold (like most retirees I suspect) but because of DT agreement I won't be submitting a tax statement unless approached for one, and that probably also applies to most. Let sleeping dogs lie. 

• Agree 1

Evening All.

I have a UK Visa debit card which I can load up with Thai Baht at any time using the phone app. It can obviously be used to make purchases and in any ATM. It cannot be used to transfer cash to a Thai bank.

My question is, would it be classed as income as I am not physically transferring cash to Thailand?

My personal opinion is no, but this is Thailand, and we all know how things can be interpreted to suit the situation as they see it.

12 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Evening All.

I have a UK Visa debit card which I can load up with Thai Baht at any time using the phone app. It can obviously be used to make purchases and in any ATM. It cannot be used to transfer cash to a Thai bank.

My question is, would it be classed as income as I am not physically transferring cash to Thailand?

My personal opinion is no, but this is Thailand, and we all know how things can be interpreted to suit the situation as they see it.

Would you be living in Thailand for more than 180 days per tax year? Assuming the answer is yes, the answer to your question is yes, it is technically taxable income. The currency that is used and the vehicle by which the funds are imported to be spent in Thailand are irrelevant. Tax residency and the source of those funds are key issues.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Agree 1

On 12/8/2023 at 8:16 PM, ballpoint said:

State pensions from overseas are a grey area, as they are usually remitted immediately,

In my case direct deposit of government pension into a US Bank account to add to my account balance. At that point they lose their "date;" they become fungible with all previous deposits saved over many years. What is subsequently wired to Thailand has no age or date of income associated with it.

Until my US account is exhausted (unlikely as I use US funds from the account to pay US credit cards and automatic payments) such that a direct deposit from the government and subsequent same-year transfer to Thailand will the transfer to Thailand have a year identifier.

So even more Grey.