The Problem With EVs

josephbloggs

1 hour ago, stratocaster said:

EV fanboys in the UK are called EVangelists.

Definition. A person who seeks to convert others to the EV faith especially by public preaching.

And by dismissing opposing views as the rantings of deranged or lesser humans unable to appreciate the divine complexity of the good news about EVs.

I mean can you turn on your vehicle's air conditioner from inside 7-11 (where you've been waiting 30 minutes again while your EV charges)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, rwill said:

EV's emit more microplastics into the environment due to more tire wear from the extra weight and acceleration.

https://www.earth.com/news/hidden-costs-electric-vehicle-tires-emit-20-more-pollution/

That is a genuine issue. Much of the problem has to do with the weight of the battery. As time goes by and batteries become more and more efficient, this should be less of a concern.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/12/2023 at 5:15 PM, josephbloggs said:

My point was that if a car has been smashed enough to damage the battery the rental company would not be handing it out to the next driver as the car would be so severely damaged as to be unusable. So your argument that EVs are bad because you might rent one and you don't know what the previous renter did to the battery is just nonsensical. You are inventing ridiculously far fetched scenarios each time.

And isn't it the case that the auto will give a reading on the battery's current capacity?

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

The OP and myself have both said that EVs are not for everyone. So you are wrong. An Evangelists wants all to be converted. 

Most of the EV haters posting here have demonstrated an inability to complete basic research so will definitely struggle with the tech in an EV. EVs are not designed for simple folk yet, they are complicated, please don’t buy one. 

Clearly someone who struggles to understand the difference between fact and opinion will also struggle using an EV app or reading a user manual.

Those of us who own multiple EVs and have driven them for years like myself get exasperated at uninformed EV haters trying to tell everyone what it’s like to own an EV. Stop it you are embarrassing yourselves. 

Out of Interest how many forum members have been driving EV's for more than 10 years or more , their must be some since EV's have been available mass market since 2008

Just now, BritManToo said:

Most posters on this forum are at the end of their lives.

Yeah, I get that.

But we are (mostly) all closer to the end than the beginning…

The ev market is currently young and still developing but bear in mind that we have only had ICE vehicles for what, 140 years ?

The level of ICE infrastructure today is enormous compared to even only 50 years ago.

41 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That is a genuine issue. Much of the problem has to do with the weight of the battery. As time goes by and batteries become more and more efficient, this should be less of a concern.

It is important to remember that due to regenerative breaking in EVs very little break dust is emitted.

Also no diesel particulates.

EVs generally have more advanced tech than ice cars and traction control which prevents wheel spinning is very common.

EVs sold in Thailand generally weigh less than the average pickup truck that seems to be the vehicle of choice here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

My Post is related to checking under the car on a rental to ensure there is no damage to the external battery casing that the rental company hasn't pointed out to your prior to you renting. most rental's mark when there is existing damage to the bodywork or interior and that's it

And you don’t think they would’ve thought of checking such critical infrastructure as an ev battery… 🙄

Just give it a rest.

If the ev’s battery doesn’t self diagnose a critical incident already, then it won’t be long before they do, I agree with you that battery protection is important but let’s keep it real huh ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

The OP and myself have both said that EVs are not for everyone. So you are wrong. An Evangelists wants all to be converted. 

Most of the EV haters posting here have demonstrated an inability to complete basic research so will definitely struggle with the tech in an EV. EVs are not designed for simple folk yet, they are complicated, please don’t buy one. 

Clearly someone who struggles to understand the difference between fact and opinion will also struggle using an EV app or reading a user manual.

Those of us who own multiple EVs and have driven them for years like myself get exasperated at uninformed EV haters trying to tell everyone what it’s like to own an EV. Stop it you are embarrassing yourselves. 

"Those of us who own multiple EVs and have driven them for years like myself get exasperated at uninformed EV haters trying to tell everyone what it’s like to own an EV. Stop it you are embarrassing yourselves. "

When you say you have driven them for years I assume you mean between 5-7 years while most forum members will have between 40-50 years of driving ICE vehicles you see the difference 5-7 years versus 40-50 years

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

"Those of us who own multiple EVs and have driven them for years like myself get exasperated at uninformed EV haters trying to tell everyone what it’s like to own an EV. Stop it you are embarrassing yourselves. "

When you say you have driven them for years I assume you mean between 5-7 years while most forum members will have between 40-50 years of driving ICE vehicles you see the difference 5-7 years versus 40-50 years

lol.

You think the posters in this thread are 22 year olds ? 🤣🤣🤣

Fresh out of high school into an ev, never having had the range anxiety of watching the petrol fuel gauge sink when they’re still 50km from the next town ?

How old do you think we are pops ?

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

And you don’t think they would’ve thought of checking such critical infrastructure as an ev battery… 🙄

Just give it a rest.

If the ev’s battery doesn’t self diagnose a critical incident already, then it won’t be long before they do, I agree with you that battery protection is important but let’s keep it real huh ?

My point is for EV rentals its more critical for potential renters to check under the car before renting 

if a rental agency driver slightly damaged the battery pack would they

A) withdraw the vehicle from their stock

B) advised potential renter that the battery pack has sustained minor damage but the damage doesn't affect the vehicle as far as driving or performance

C) doesn't advise potential renter that the battery pack has sustained minor damage but checks and points out to the driver on their return of the vehicle that they will need to submit a claim on their insurance

A and B can potential lead to a major cost to the rental agency if they don't have adequate insurance coverage

Majority of members on this forum are fully aware of some the jet ski scams where the owner points out damage when you return the jet ski and the problem is that the renter didn't check that area before renting 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

lol.

You think the posters in this thread are 22 year olds ? 🤣🤣🤣

Fresh out of high school into an ev, never having had the range anxiety of watching the petrol fuel gauge sink when they’re still 50km from the next town ?

How old do you think we are pops ?

I stated most forum members will have between 40-50 years of driving ICE vehicles that should have given you a clue to the average age of posters on this thread

• Haha 1

Man, you’ve got a haystack bigger than Texas, which isn’t really that impressive…

For the record:

”Well, just how big is the NT? The Northern Territory has a total area of 1,349,129 km2 which accounts for around 17.5 percent of Australia's total landmass. Let's put that in perspective. North America; Texas USA will fit into NT twice.”

Northern Territory is my home.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:54 PM, Lacessit said:

Just making the point while EV's are ideal for urban driving, no argument there, not so much in rural conditions.

It's quite easy to get your hackles up with the slightest bit of disrespect for electric Jesus, isn't it?

The EV cult are easily offended when they are confronted with evidence that their master is not the best option in many cases. But yet they have no problem with buying Chinese made EVs that help support the communist government of China.

• Haha 2

On 12/10/2023 at 1:57 PM, josephbloggs said:

Just thought I would share this - a series of three articles, each one tackling a different "problem".  Subject are "range anxiety (should you worry about getting stranded)", "the dirty EV mining industry", and "the fire risk of EVs". 

I thought they were pretty well balanced and fair. Would be keen to hear feedback from any open minded anti-EV posters.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/series/ev-mythbusters

(Yeah yeah, the Guardian, lefty liberal, pushing the woke agenda, blah blah)

"range anxiety" is not a good term for a rational huge disadvantage of EVs :
chances are, your EV will not be available in case of an emergency, nor can its range be extended, nor can you stock up on fuel.

it's not a big risk when living in a city, but outside of cities it could make you into a sitting duck.

my mom and dad live in a place where the next hospital is 30 minutes away, sometimes there are storms and electricity is repaired after 2 or 3 days.

another huge disadvantage are the downtimes. I occasionally drive 1400 Km, an EV would add significant time to the trip, possibly causing additional costs for a hotel and food stop.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

chances are, your EV will not be available in case of an emergency, nor can its range be extended, nor can you stock up on fuel.

it's not a big risk when living in a city, but outside of cities it could make you into a sitting duck.

my mom and dad live in a place where the next hospital is 30 minutes away, sometimes there are storms and electricity is repaired after 2 or 3 days.

another huge disadvantage are the downtimes. I occasionally drive 1400 Km, an EV would add significant time to the trip, possibly causing additional costs for a hotel and food stop.

Firstly, I think a key component of owning an ev at present is having access to solar power, it massively tilts the economics and practicality in your favor.

Secondly, read this very short very recent story about range

https://thedriven.io/2023/12/15/record-broken-as-ev-enthusiast-rocks-around-australia-in-just-10-days/amp/?fbclid=IwAR3rh7VQ9tu9hRtdLZByZSxv7XN5Q5QLdNwJABfYKeVYUaXeL6Wt1I7BZT8_aem_AZsr3qVzvJenwiaGIqgGlOdTeFocJRkMjg4L_p8sf69ZjxrbhUXMay6pKYFUBRHRiaY

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, tgw said:

Some of us are infinitely stocked up, until the sun goes out...