The Problem With EVs

josephbloggs

48 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Let us know where that is.  As a Yank, it's not the USA.  I actually have more 'freedoms' here/TH, than I did in USA.

Democracy ... :giggle:

That's an illusion 

Trump got voted into power through democracy. He got kicked out through democracy. The UK left the EU due to democracy. Democracy sometimes goes the way that we want or against. Im not sure if I have more freedoms here (a democratic country) than the UK, but either way, we are not living in China. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Trump got voted into power through democracy. He got kicked out through democracy. The UK left the EU due to democracy. Democracy sometimes goes the way that we want or against. Im not sure if I have more freedoms here (a democratic country) than the UK, but either way, we are not living in China. 

If not for the air pollution, I wish I was able to live in CH.

Believe what you want, but democracy is a farce, in most, if not all so called democratic countries...IMHO

And Unions are a joke, and a business only to themselves.  I've been a union rep, and sold out by the unions.   All they care about is themselves & dues.   

Anyone depending on employers, unions, government for their future financial security, are about as ignorant and or brainwashed as can be.

If you can't personally negotiate your own salary or contract, then being an 'employee' is a losing game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee65 said:

<Flame removed by moderator>

Nobody has to call most of the anti EV'ers postings an idiot.  They state that themselves by what they post.  IMHO

Only a handful actually engage in educated, informed discussion.  

Why people that don't own, don't intend to own, even bother on the EV threads is a bit telling why they are there, and why most go to my ignore list.   Only see their posts (inclusive) when quoted.

Half my ignore list is probably anti EV/CH folks, rest are, and some of the same, TH/USA/gay bashers, along with solar not a feasible alternative to the grid.   Ignorance or bigotry I simply don't need to read.

Have a Nice Day 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Takeover of HKG? You do know that it’s the British who forcefully took HKG from China, a 99 year lease. HKG was handed back to China in 1997, much to the joy of many Hong Kongers, I was working there during the handover.

China does not want to control Taiwan, it just doesn’t want Taiwan to be a vassal state of the US who would most certainly build military bases there in an effort to further contain China and to prevent China from overtaking the US economically (which will inevitably happen in spite of US’ efforts).

Hundreds of millions have been lifted out of poverty, not in the West but in China. The biggest middle class is now in China. I suggest that Chinese citizens are paid a proper wage for their labours. I pity the poor folks in the West who, while having reducing standards of living, are being forced to pay more for their goods due to tariffs and sanctions which actually hurts them more than those being sanctioned. And the recent move by the EU to investigate “unfair “ subsidies of Chinese made EVs is no more than protectionism.

I was expecting you to respond with your username. You can keep believing that China is whiter than white. 

• Confused 2

On 12/17/2023 at 3:48 PM, Gweiloman said:

A lot of anti-EV posters however go through much pain to rubbish EVs including inventing situations that are less likely than striking first price in the lottery. 

No pain required to rubbish EVs.  Thousands of actual, real-life EV problems at your fingertips on the internet - including serious problems after slightly damaging the battery pack.

• Agree 1

On 12/17/2023 at 2:49 PM, HighPriority said:

Do you go to your local church to tell them they’re all wrong ?

Communist countries ?

Democratic countries ?

How about congregations of left handed people ? 

Let the early adopters be, I say

I actually like this post.  Would have been happy to let the EV-believers be ... until they began insulting the non-believers and arrogantly dismissing their comments.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/17/2023 at 4:25 PM, Gweiloman said:

China is far from perfect. But at least they don’t go round bombing those who have different values and beliefs.

They have put a huge number of Muslims in concentration camps.  Other muslims endure slave labour and forced sterilisation.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, In the jungle said:

They have put a huge number of Muslims in concentration camps.  Other muslims endure slave labour and forced sterilisation.

Yes, and the 2020 US Presidential elections were rigged and Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and Russia blew up the NordStream pipelines :cheesy:

• Agree 1

On 12/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I wonder how many of our EV owners suffer range anxiety?  I certainly don't.

Incidentally, nobody is going to install a fast charger where there is no mobile phone signal, they communicate to their servers over a mobile signal.

I wonder what EV experience you have that makes you find range anxiety is real and completely justified?

Could someone please explain why a mobile phone signal is necessary to enable recharging of an EV, I don't understand. In fact, when refueling with gasoline, there are signs asking for mobiles to be switched off.

Is there some reason why a debit/credit card cannot be used to pay for a recharge?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Could someone please explain why a mobile phone signal is necessary to enable recharging of an EV, I don't understand. In fact, when refueling with gasoline, there are signs asking for mobiles to be switched off.

Is there some reason why a debit/credit card cannot be used to pay for a recharge?

When I looked they all operate through an app on your phone. You scan a QR on the charging station then follow the instructions - payment is done through the preferred payment option you've set up in the app.

Could be different now but that's how it was many months ago when I used a charging station.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You can’t authorise a debit card without a connection to the bank, this is done with a mobile signal. Likewise, the charger has to connect to its network to see whether you have any credit on your account with them, and also to keep statistics of charging sessions

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

When I looked they all operate through an app on your phone. You scan a QR on the charging station then follow the instructions - payment is done through the preferred payment option you've set up in the app.

Could be different now but that's how it was many months ago when I used a charging station.

So if you are out in the boonies with no mobile signal and no recharging station, you can't get going again without a tow truck, and there's no such thing as a jerrycan full of electrons you can cadge from a passing EV.

I read some time ago 25% of recharging stations on the West Coast of America are broken down, which is not encouraging. I doubt that many gasoline/diesel pumps are in the same boat.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You can’t authorise a debit card without a connection to the bank, this is done with a mobile signal. Likewise, the charger has to connect to its network to see whether you have any credit on your account with them, and also to keep statistics of charging sessions

I usually pay for my gasoline with cash.

So if there is a service provider outage, EV owners are basically screwed?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So if you are out in the boonies with no mobile signal and no recharging station, you can't get going again without a tow truck, and there's no such thing as a jerrycan full of electrons you can cadge from a passing EV.

I read some time ago 25% of recharging stations on the West Coast of America are broken down, which is not encouraging. I doubt that many gasoline/diesel pumps are in the same boat.

1. How extremely isolated do you have to be to have no mobile signal? I don't remember the last time I've not been able to get a signal.

2. If this extremely isolated place is on your journey you're not going to drive there with an empty battery, just as you wouldn't drive in to an extremely isolated place with an empty tank of petrol either. That would be extremely stupid in both cases.

3. Why would they put a charging station (or a petrol station) somewhere that is so extremely isolated that it doesn't have a mobile signal? There would be no passing traffic so no business case to have either a CS or a petrol station.

4. It really is a stupid argument.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You won’t find a charging station installed where there is no signal available. But bear in mind you can take a mobile signal 40km away with a cheap WiFi bridge setup.

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

They have liquid cooling, I can’t say about radiators, maybe they do.

I think the air conditioning unit is also used to cool the battery pack.

This is a BYD Atto 3 battery pack, all tightly packed leaf cells, no gaps, no cooling.

Screenshot_2023-12-21-10-12-01-647_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

1. How extremely isolated do you have to be to have no mobile signal? I don't remember the last time I've not been able to get a signal.

2. If this extremely isolated place is on your journey you're not going to drive there with an empty battery, just as you wouldn't drive in to an extremely isolated place with an empty tank of petrol either. That would be extremely stupid in both cases.

3. Why would they put a charging station (or a petrol station) somewhere that is so extremely isolated that it doesn't have a mobile signal? There would be no passing traffic so no business case to have either a CS or a petrol station.

4. It really is a stupid argument.

IIRC it was Mike Tyson who said everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

One can't plan for an unexpected detour when a road is closed by flooding, landslip, or a major accident.

IME there are quite a few spots up in the mountains around Chiang Rai where there is no mobile signal.

IMO it's a dumb poster who would discount the possibility of either event.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You won’t find a charging station installed where there is no signal available. But bear in mind you can take a mobile signal 40km away with a cheap WiFi bridge setup.

As I would not know how to do that, the advice is not much help to me.