Retirement extension seems to now include an under consideration stamp and a home visit..

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

First time I obtained a 1 year extension (retirement) on my permission to stay on a Type-OA Visa, at Phuket immigration, the IO stated they would call at my condo unit for a visit.  Even thou this was a retirement extension, my Thai wife happened to be with me, and she also gave the IO her #.  

In the next couple of months we were called twice by immigration. Both times we were out of province. They never did visit in the end.

Then a couple of years later, when I switched to to a 1-year extension on my permission to stay (on that Type-OA) visa, but this time for reason of retirement.  Again, they stated they would do a house visit. And again when they called, I was out of province, and in the end they never did visit.

Later (by leaving the country) I switched to a Type-O visa (for reason of retirement), and on this occasion, they asked for my Thai phone # and setup a Line (social media) video appointment, a few days later - with instructions that I had to be in my condo during the call.  I then had to video chat with them with my phone set to a selfie mode, and they wanted to see me in my condo, see me by the entrance to my condo (where condo # visible) and also see me at the entrance to the condo complex (where # visible).  So I had to walk around a bit during the call.  And again, this was for a retirement permission to stay extension.

I highly suspect this is both Immigration office specific, and may be even specific to the IO on duty when when one does their application.   I am not convinced there is a hard fast consistent practice.

Yes, the video call home video is a good option for those who live some distance from the IO or are “ elusive “ .

I remember you doing your first extension from an O visa, your second extension should be due soon I think ?, would be interested to hear if you have another home visit ( video call or otherwise ).

But I think you are correct, from the replies on here so far, it depends on the wishes of the bossman at each IO as to how many home visits are required.

So far I have had a visit for 1st retirement extension, today another one for the 2nd extension and i also had a surprise visit ( it was a surprise because they just showed up saying they had called me, no record on my phone ! ) around 6 months ago. 

See what happens in June 2024 !!

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I remember you doing your first extension from an O visa, your second extension should be due soon I think ?, would be interested to hear if you have another home visit ( video call or otherwise ).

Likely no more home visits (nor home videos) for myself for a decade or so.  As soon as I obtained the one-year extension on my 90-day Type-O Visa (for reason of retirement), I then immediately applied for an LTR-WP visa.  

I waited until I had the approval of the one year extension on my Type-O permission to stay (for reason of retirement), before applying for the LTR-WP, so that I would not stress over my LTR-WP application if it was slow in getting approved. That turned out to be a fortuitous approach, as it took me 5-months to get the LTR-WP, most likely because my assets are very very diverse, because I had to buy some government bonds to reach the necessary investment in Thailand, and because BoI wanted an up to date Canadian taxation document - where that took me some time to get.

One thing I like about the LTR-WP (as opposed to the old Type-OA retirement extensions) is that the LTR-WP allows self Health Insurance by having a certain amount of money in a bank anywhere in the world.

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So far I have had a visit for 1st retirement extension, today another one for the 2nd extension and i also had a surprise visit ( it was a surprise because they just showed up saying they had called me, no record on my phone ! ) around 6 months ago. 

See what happens in June 2024 !!

Wow ... just showing up.  That would work for me (for retirement) if only I had to be in the condo when they (immigration) showed up.  But if it was for 'marriage' extension, trying to pick a time (other than early morning or evening) when both my wife and I are in my condo would be very hit and miss.

Fortunately, with LTR-WP, most of those paperwork days are gone for another 4.5+ years for myself.   However when the 10-years of the LTR-WP are up, I might go back to a Type-O visa, if it is still around, and if the conditions/requirements have not changed.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So just returned for my stamp, all good until Dec 14th 2024.

Just to recap:

My IO, Ayutthaya, now required a home visit ( with a witness ) and a 1 month under consideration stamp for a retirement extension from an O visa.

No attempt to extort any money they just have changed the rules to their liking ( probably some new boss ).

Attempting to question their reasoning is futile and met with deaf ears, just have to go with the flow !

Only once a year 😕

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2023 at 9:07 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

yes, mine was quick also, under an hour …. if you don’t count the almost 1 month under consideration !!

No 'under consideration' period for a Retirement Extension is needed. Only for Marriage.

In & out, with the stamp and re-entry permit in an hour.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No 'under consideration' period for a Retirement Extension is needed. Only for Marriage.

In & out, with the stamp and re-entry permit in an hour.

You missed the point of the whole thread .

Ayutthaya immigration now requires a home visit and under consideration stamp for a retirement extension.

Maybe not at your IO but that is not relevant.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You missed the point of the whole thread .

Ayutthaya immigration now requires a home visit and under consideration stamp for a retirement extension.

Maybe not at your IO but that is not relevant.

Is Phitsanulok the only IO which does not require a home visit? 

Or better to get other members to say yes or no to their particular IO. Then it would help all others.

So to start.....Phitsanulok DOES NOT need a home visit, map, etc. Ayutthaya DOES.

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is Phitsanulok the only IO which does not require a home visit? 

Or better to get other members to say yes or no to their particular IO. Then it would help all others.

So to start.....Phitsanulok DOES NOT need a home visit, map, etc. Ayutthaya DOES.

I think we have already established that Ayutthaya have recently started requesting a home visit and under consideration period for a retirement extension, as yet no one else has reported this happening at any other IO.

Your statement:

” No ‘under consideration’ period for a Retirement extension is needed. Only for marriage. “ is wrong and isn’t helping all others .

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think we have already established that Ayutthaya have recently started requesting a home visit and under consideration period for a retirement extension, as yet no one else has reported this happening at any other IO.

Your statement:

” No ‘under consideration’ period for a Retirement extension is needed. Only for marriage. “ is wrong and isn’t helping all others .

Sorry, so it seems to be just your IO at Ayutthaya at the moment.

• Thanks 1