No cool season this year?

Batty

8 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Chanthaburi seems to have skipped the rainy season and it HAS been unseasonably warm. End of November we were cooling off, but jumped backed into hotter than usual. Even Thai teachers at my school are complaining about the December heat.

Was over there last week, Laem Sing area, and surprised didn't need long sleeve shirts or the AC at night.  Though did use the AC, try to knock the humidity down a bit.  Expected a bit cooler temps.

Here in south Surin 'winter' does appear to have finished. Altogether we had around 1.5 days in Nov. Got down to 17C at 0600. Don't know how I managed!

My b/f says they used to get up to 4 months of 'winter' when he was a lad. The most I've experienced in 11 years of visiting and living here was 2 weeks, with lows down to 14C. Had to wear shoes & socks and jeans to cope. The funniest thing is to watch the locals all rugged up with heavy jacket, woollen hat and scarf, but just sandals on their feet ...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Thailand has only 2 seasons... HOT and HOTTER

That depends on which part of the country you live in. (or visit)

We'll be getting our winter woolies and thicker duvet out soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Batty said:

My wife has been saying for a few months that this year's cool season (December through Feb in Udon) is not going to happen. According to her, some freak weather event will prevent it from ever getting cool. I was skeptical, but its mid-December already and it hasn't been cool yet, so maybe she is right.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Absolute bummer if true. Its the only time of year I look forward to, in terms of weather. 

Lowest temp here was 19C early one morning, then the temps started to rise again.

Now averaging 25C early morning afternoons 33C-35C

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Batty said:

My wife has been saying for a few months that this year's cool season (December through Feb in Udon) is not going to happen. According to her, some freak weather event will prevent it from ever getting cool. I was skeptical, but its mid-December already and it hasn't been cool yet, so maybe she is right.

Absolute bummer if true. Its the only time of year I look forward to, in terms of weather. 

El Nino maybe? It isnt that how now though.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

but now it looks like this strong El Niño is going to decline unusually rapidly, and things could be back to normal by April.

Would be good news. Don't need another drought year like 2014. Difficult to bear.
The test here will be around NYE and first half of January when the coldest night temperatures appear. In a neighboring province it easily goes down to single digit Celsius (< 50 F).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here on Koh Samui, cold season is at an entirely different level.

It was cold(er) and raining during November. Daytime temperatures down to low 20's. And yes, I was under the duvet and wore socks and a T shirt in bed at night.

Now, we are back to sunny and 33 C at the moment.

It is not usually this warm in December, but in 23 years here, the lowest that I have know in 19 C and that was many years ago.

13 hours ago, Batty said:

Did she repeat what the weatherman is predicting? Now again your wife. It must be true. Thank you for reminding me 🧑‍🎄😁🎄

13 hours ago, Batty said:

You made the mistake of blinking and so you missed it. Here in lower Petchabun it got pretty cool ( 22=23 until midday ) several weeks ago. Since then it's been a steady 34 which when I got here 40 years ago would have been considered hot in the hot season. The only way you can tell it is the ' hot season ' is that the malls are still trying to flog winter clothing , jumpers and jackets etc.

It gets worse. In the coming hot season we can apparently expect weeks on end at 45 C  :sad: