Putin admits heavy losses as EU to open membership talks with Kyiv

CharlieH

image.png

The EU has agreed to open membership talks with Ukraine.

European Council President Charles Michel said on Thursday: “The European Council has decided to open accession negotiations with Ukraine & Moldova.” Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky declared the move a victory “for Ukraine and all of Europe”.

The announcement came after Vladimir Putin inadvertently admitted that more than 300,000 Russian soldiers have died or been heavily wounded in the ongoing war. The figures are in stark contrast to the last death toll offered by the Kremlin, which suggested less than 6,000 troops in Ukraine had been killed.

During his first news conference since the full-scale invasion, he suggested that 244,000 Russians had been mobilised, before adding that 486,000 had volunteered to fight. He then proceeded to say that 617,000 Russians were fighting in Ukraine.

This figure roughly aligns with US estimates that were declassified earlier this week, which suggested that Russia had suffered 315,000 dead and injured troops in Ukraine. But the last time the Kremlin offered an estimate of the death toll was September 2022, in which they said only 5,937 soldiers had been killed.

FULL STORY

independent.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, JayClay said:

So are you saying that member states actually do have a democratic say in the operation of the European Union? It's almost as if the EU isn't actually the undemocratic, dictatorial regime that it's detracors claim, then, wouldn't you say?

They have the right to veto certain things, for now... I'd expect the powers to veto to be eroded over time as the article below suggests.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2023/05/04/nine-eu-countries-join-forces-to-reform-voting-rules-on-foreign-policy-and-dent-veto-power

But for now they can veto, as long as they are prepared to accept their punishment, likely to be a smaller slice of the pie at the next round of handouts from the net contributors like Britain was. Zere vill be consequences for Hungary's insubordination.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

Hungary sort of abstained, so Ukraine will start talks. But it can never join as long as there is a war going on, everybody is clear about that.

That was indeed my understanding as well, however, as AFAIK the EU does not have a defence pact, I'd guess war with one EU member would not mean war with the others.

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

image.png

The EU has agreed to open membership talks with Ukraine.

European Council President Charles Michel said on Thursday: “The European Council has decided to open accession negotiations with Ukraine & Moldova.” Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky declared the move a victory “for Ukraine and all of Europe”.

The announcement came after Vladimir Putin inadvertently admitted that more than 300,000 Russian soldiers have died or been heavily wounded in the ongoing war. The figures are in stark contrast to the last death toll offered by the Kremlin, which suggested less than 6,000 troops in Ukraine had been killed.

During his first news conference since the full-scale invasion, he suggested that 244,000 Russians had been mobilised, before adding that 486,000 had volunteered to fight. He then proceeded to say that 617,000 Russians were fighting in Ukraine.

This figure roughly aligns with US estimates that were declassified earlier this week, which suggested that Russia had suffered 315,000 dead and injured troops in Ukraine. But the last time the Kremlin offered an estimate of the death toll was September 2022, in which they said only 5,937 soldiers had been killed.

FULL STORY

independent.png

There is only one interesting question, if one at least is interested how this war could end : are there any Russians opening their mouth, and start to raise questions about this 300.000 death toll and much to come ? Since I wouldn't be able to name one other country (except N-Korea) where the whole population would go on the streets. I understand an angst regime is making people scared, but the radio silence in Russia is almost unbelievable. Also Russians outside their home country could be a bit more loud, I would say. Are there maybe some Russians in this forum who could explain ?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, tgw said:

which "all the links in the article" are you referring to ?

The underlined words. They are working now,  maybe my VPN was playing up.

Misread the article before the 300K deaths must be 300K deaths AND wounded. The difference between both is not specified. It was 40K deaths a few month ago ...

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, RayC said:

Maybe the other 26 EU members should form another organisation? They could also invite the UK to join.

There is actually a proposal to create a two-teir system within the EU. And if anything every comes from it, it very well could be the first point of reentry for the UK. Probably best not to get off topic on that side of things, though...

The second-teir of course could also be used to accelerate Ukraine's entry. But I'm sure it would still exclude countries currently at war.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/05/11/what-do-we-know-about-macron-s-idea-for-a-two-tier-europe

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Doesn't seem like Hungary is going to agree to these membership talks. More trouble for the EU.

https://tvpworld.com/74805706/orbn-blocks-ukraines-eu-accession-talks-plus-aid-at-summit

image.png.d6132a7b49873ae9cbad1ad890736555.png

Even weirder, I red they voted for the Ukraine to EU, when Orban had left the room !!

They also tried to buy his vote in return of 10 billion for Hungary !! Guess that one is for entering Ukraine to EU.

But then 50 billion agreement was taken WITH Orban in room. Bit weird put in article.

There were 2 issues to be discussed. Ukraine to EU AND the 50 billion support.

15 billion in gifts and the rest in loans. I dont understand, as there is 300 billion Russia money frozen in EU !

Why do I and many others need to pay for all this ! Get that Russia money !

Brexit?  Stupidest sh** I've heard of.  We need to band together, to fight off the criminal dictatorships who are trying to take over peaceful nations.  Run your own countries, don't try to take over neighbors who are having a tough enough time running their own.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

Hungary sort of abstained, so Ukraine will start talks. But it can never join as long as there is a war going on, everybody is clear about that.

Nothing is set in stone, if the politicians want something enough. After all they are the ones who make the rules.

Seems to me Euro politicians just can't wait to start WW3.

• Confused 6