Opening A Bank Account In Another City

Can I use a 'Certificate Of Residence' from Pattaya Immigration where I live to open a bank account in Bangkok, or do I need the certificate from Bangkok Immigration?

If I need the Certificate from Bangkok Immigration, will they issue it if my LEASE/TM47/TM30, etc. is in Pattaya?

Edited by JimTripper

From all the accounts I have opened over about 25 years - residence was a mere formality scrawled on the application.

O visa, marriage. I did use a wp in most cases rather than bicker over the legal need.

In the end it's just one of those case by case basis situations. I don't think residents or addresses are important to the bank they know everyone shuffle around all over the place and this transient country.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Can I use a 'Certificate Of Residence' from Pattaya Immigration where I live to open a bank account in Bangkok, or do I need the certificate from Bangkok Immigration?

If I need the Certificate from Bangkok Immigration, will they issue it if my LEASE/TM47/TM30, etc. is in Pattaya?

You can't get a Cerfificate of Residence in Bangkok when you are living and extending your visa in Pattaya, but you can use the one form Pattaya IO to open a bank account in Bangkok.

49 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

From all the accounts I have opened over about 25 years - residence was a mere formality scrawled on the application.

O visa, marriage. I did use a wp in most cases rather than bicker over the legal need.

In the end it's just one of those case by case basis situations. I don't think residents or addresses are important to the bank they know everyone shuffle around all over the place and this transient country.

I concur with the first sentence - until this year.

I tried to open a second account at SCB (been with them for years) and they asked for a COR from immigration.

Samui immigration will not give those any more.

I showed the SCB my passport, existing bank book, work permit, yellow book, TM 30 etc etc.

The bank insisted that it must be a COR from immigration.

Went to Krungsri and just gave them the money that I wanted to deposit. Job done.

As you say - case by case.

21 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

That is non sense.

The staff make up this non sense bcoz they cannot/ dont want to speak English.

SCB is particularly <deleted>ty in this regard.

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I concur with the first sentence - until this year.

I tried to open a second account at SCB (been with them for years) and they asked for a COR from immigration.

Samui immigration will not give those any more.

I showed the SCB my passport, existing bank book, work permit, yellow book, TM 30 etc etc.

Went to Krungsri and just gave them the money that I wanted to deposit. Job done.

As you say - case by case.

I really like Krungsri. Very little wait. I had a UOB account almost 10 years ago, but I closed it as they had so few branches even in central Bangkok. Bangkok indifferent, SCB was the go-to for 20 yrs. Not keen anymore. K bank, Krungthai a big nope for me. KT is a must for government workers. Both are probably essential banks in the provinces of no idea anymore.

Like airlines.

• Like 1