Fire Destroys Luxury Sedan Belonging to Police Officer in Kathu

webfact

George, as you don't mention again, I assume you now accept that I did not report your original post.

Re. this, 'Again I ask you, what are your qualifications, training and experience on fires and fire investigation?'

That's another bit of nonsense. FWIW I have NO such 'qualifications' - but how is that relevant at all ? It's natural enough these days, that the first question which arises when a vehicle catches fire, is whether it's an EV or an ICE.

So I wonder why we sometimes cannot be told. That's all.

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's (was) only an ordinary BMW, many Thais are able to buy them so why not a police officer, especially the Deputy Chief of Police?   Have you never heard of financing or trading up, how many people, generally, buy their cars outright?

Its a 08-15 series 7.

Price on one2car is 399k to 1 million.

• Confused 1

Thanks Ralf. That would make it an ICE then !

I looked at the 2nd pic again - there it doesn't seem to me, to have that characteristic BMW grill in the middle at the front?

There is a burn through of the bonnet at front left, (looking forwards from the car).

Cheers Ralf - then the 'BMW' would be more likely and IMO, to be an ICE, rather than a hybrid, but I note the possibility. Did you see the burn right through the steel of the bonnet ! Wow !

Have a look at the 'grill' in the second picture? The characteristic BMW centrepiece grill is not evident (to me) - maybe that's a 7 series thing.

BUT it does look like the BMW badge on the top in the middle of the bonnet at the front? Cheers ATB

• Confused 1

Ben you are incorrect - the report is about a vehicle fire. The ignoble suggestion was made that a Policeman owning a luxury sedan presupposes corruption.

It's reasonable to want to know if it was an EV fire - that's all.

We don't know for sure BUT it seems it's probably an ICE fire. ATB

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Patong-A fire in Kathu destroyed a luxury sedan belonging to a Patong Police officer".

The Deputy Chief, not just "a police officer".

Given you're a stickler for detail .. actually a Pol Lt Col who is Deputy Chief of the Investigation Division at Patong Police Station.

https://www.dailynews.co.th/news/2993854/

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's (was) only an ordinary BMW, many Thais are able to buy them so why not a police officer, especially the Deputy Chief of Police?   Have you never heard of financing or trading up, how many people, generally, buy their cars outright?

Its a 08-15 series 7.

Price on one2car is 399k to 1 million.

I know.

On 12/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

"Petrol/diesel fires normally ignite and burn under the hood".

From the remarkably clear OP..."

"All of a sudden, smoke began coming out from the engine room in front".

Battery fires are very quick, you would not notice the flames to start with. From the photo and other Battery fires I've seen this looks typical. Do a little Google search of ev fires especially China.  This vehicle is possibly a hybrid so there will also be petrol or diesel fire. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:52 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Did you even bother reading the article?

According to it - and as per a statement by the vehicle owner, "under the hood" is exactly where the fire started. Which as you rightly point out, is where petrol vehicle fires normally start.

"The police officer who owned the vehicle told reporters that he was heading back from Patong to his house in Mueang Phuket. All of a sudden, smoke began coming out from the engine room in front."

Yes I realise that is whay is in the article. However, I am looking with my eyes and what I'm seeing is intense heat fire source in the area of where a battery is situated and not where the fuel tank is.

• Confused 1

On 12/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, Georgealbert said:

Seems you reading skills are about the same as you knowledge and experience of car fires, zero.

But why let facts get in the way of your agenda.

Maybe you need to research, open your eyes before believing everything you read as literal! Phew! Some people.... bahhh, bahhh, bahhh. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

Maybe you need to research, open your eyes before believing everything you read as literal! Phew! Some people.... bahhh, bahhh, bahhh. 

So what are you qualifications, training and experience of fire investigations? 

I do not need to do the research, I know what I am talking about.

You do know that EV batteries are not under the bonnet/hood.

57 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Yes I realise that is whay is in the article. However, I am looking with my eyes and what I'm seeing is intense heat fire source in the area of where a battery is situated and not where the fuel tank is.

Its a 2008-2015 Series 7.

The batteries arenot in the front of the vehicle.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BritScot said:

"Yes I realise that is whay is in the article".

Makes so much sense to ignore what was said by a witness, then, eh?

You think ICE-fuelled cars don't have fuel lines under the car to carry fuel from the rear tank to the engine (not to mention brake lines and transmission lines)?  

• Agree 1