License shortcut

farangkrab

Anybody have experience using an “agent” to get motorbike / car drivers license. 1500 baht and 2500 baht respectivily. They say they take car of everything and don’t need to test etc. 

They say it’s 100% legit but price seems a little low, if you know what I mean na. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Op - Where is your primary licence from (i.e. do you have a licence from your home country). 

And... Does your home licence (if you have one) also have the silhouette of a motorcycle on the back (endorsement for small motorcycles) ?

If no home licence - an agent may be easier. 

If using an agent - you will still need to go there and do the tests etc.. the just hold your hand through the process.

If you have a home licence (that is in English), then you can get a Thai licence yourself, quite easy and no need for an agent to hand hold - you'll need other paperwork (proof of residence / medical certificate etc).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, farangkrab said:

They say they take car of everything and don’t need to test etc. 

They say it’s 100% legit but price seems a little low, if you know what I mean na. 

& no... if you are 'avoiding the tests'...  etc then its not legal - there have also been reports of these sorts of agents getting caught over the past few months.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

My 20 year old daughters went the driving school route, they never took a test.  The DLT trust some schools to vouch for the student drivers in lieu of a test.

Perfectly safe and legal.

Not the same thing at all!The op is talking about getting a license without showing up,they still need to take you pic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The op didn’t say that. How the agent handles it isn’t specified, we won’t know until you ask the agent.

Ha said without doing any test and i also believe your daughters paid a bit more.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

if you cannot pass a Thai driving test on your own , you should not be on the road.....

regards worgeordie

Bogus statement. The written exams have very little to do with actual driving.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

My 20 year old daughters went the driving school route, they never took a test.  The DLT trust some schools to vouch for the student drivers in lieu of a test.

I did my MC license through a school, after many practice tests, on 4th day took a legit test at school and took all paperwork to land office.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

OP-Just go to a driving school and at least get educated, there’s enough halfwhit digbats on the roads as it is, don’t need another one. Short-cutting proper procedures is asking for trouble.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, farangkrab said:

Anybody have experience using an “agent” to get motorbike / car drivers license. 1500 baht and 2500 baht respectivily. They say they take car of everything and don’t need to test etc. 

Whether  you already have 'home country' licenses or not, obtaining Thai licensees via an authorized agent is perfectly legal. The 'agencies' are in fact driving schools who are licensed and authorized by the DLT to train and test drivers and then walk them through the license issuing procedure.

If you do have home country licenses then you skip the tests as they are not necessary. And the price, by the way, at 4,000 THB is about right.

My experience last Friday 15 December; my Thai licences were long expired, not renewals, so started from new.

Took 55 minutes from arriving to departure, 310 baht total fee for car and motorcycle licences.

Provided documents: medical (100 baht); passport; ID card; yellow book; NZ driver licence; IDP International Driver Permit.

They took two copies of each at no extra charge.

Very brief tests took total about 3 minutes - braking coordination, colours, depth perception, peripheral vision. Paid fee then photo taken and two licences issued.

Really, not so difficult, an hour out of my not so busy day.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty easy to renew them.  I have never had a written test to take.  Last time I renewed just had to watch about a 45 minute video and take the vision/reaction tests.

If your license is expired more than a year you have to do more.

17 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's how my wife obtained her licenses. The driving centers are authorized by DLT to train and test the students up to the required standard. I was new here when she did this and so I 'piggybacked' and had the center obtain my licenses as well. I got a discount because of a two for one deal and the fact that I didn't have to do the tests.

And I agree with you 100%. it is safe and legal and unlike most posters here, I DO have the direct experience that @farangkrab asked for.

Yes, it was possible 2005 in Pattaya. An agent took care of everything. After 3 days got my license. 

In 2008 I had a bad accident. But fortunately the license proofed to be genuine. As far as I can remember, had to pay about 5k to the agent. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, farangkrab said:

Anybody have experience using an “agent”

No

to get motorbike / car drivers license. 1500 baht and 2500 baht respectivily

Driving school will cost about the same depending on if you currently have a valid license/endorsement and international drivers permit. If you have all the above, then you just need to watch a ~45 minute video, the school will put the paperwork in order, go to the dlt take the color blind test and you’ll be on your way 

13 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

My experience last Friday 15 December; my Thai licences were long expired, not renewals, so started from new.

Took 55 minutes from arriving to departure, 310 baht total fee for car and motorcycle licences.

Provided documents: medical (100 baht); passport; ID card; yellow book; NZ driver licence; IDP International Driver Permit.

They took two copies of each at no extra charge.

Very brief tests took total about 3 minutes - braking coordination, colours, depth perception, peripheral vision. Paid fee then photo taken and two licences issued.

Really, not so difficult, an hour out of my not so busy day.

Really depends on what Province and Amphoe.

Chonburi - Banglamung you aint doing it in 55 minutes.

Will take you 55 minutes just to book an appointment to come back at a later date !

• Haha 1

100% legit to use an agent and just pay money on the side for something??!! Somebody had a bad dream.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, farangkrab said:

Any "Agent" who claims they can get you a licence without you attending DLT is a scam.  100%  There are several reputable agents who will assist and advise - these are entirely legitmate and useful for those not confident enough to do the process themselves.

PH

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Any "Agent" who claims they can get you a licence without you attending DLT is a scam.  100%  There are several reputable agents who will assist and advise - these are entirely legitmate and useful for those not confident enough to do the process themselves.

PH

Can you name any?