Cleaner air in Bangkok and surrounding provinces today

snoop1130

air_quality.png

No areas in Bangkok and its neighbouring provinces, except for Mahachai sub-district in Samut Sakhon province, have excessive amount of PM2.5 dust in the atmosphere today, as most of the country, especially the northeast, is experiencing cooler weather due to a strong cold front from China.

According to the Meteorological Department, the levels of PM2.5 dust in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces, such as Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Prakan and Samut Sakhon, in the past 24 hours were measured between 12.3μg and 42.7μg, with the highest level being recorded in Mahachai sub-district.

Air quality in other parts of the country has also improved today, as PM2.5 levels are mostly below the 37.5μg threshold. The PM2.5 readings in the past 24 hours were 13.2-31.9μg in the north, 4.6-20.1μg in the northeast, 15.3-48.4μg in the central and western regions and 10.0-23.4μg in the east.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-12-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Claims have been made that rainmaking efforts (dry ice) have contributed to the improved air quality numbers for Bangkok 16 - 18 Dec.

Consider me dubious.

Rainmaking to the east of Bangkok has led to a dramatic drop in air pollution in the capital and its surrounds, with ultra-fine dust levels in all areas back within the safety threshold on Monday.

Department of Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation director-general Supis Pitaktham said a rainmaking operation had been launched from Dec 16-18 in areas east of Bangkok after high PM2.5 dust levels during the past week had started affecting people’s health.

Totally fake news, just returned from a few days there in Bangkok and though the Central area was decent, the entire Samut area to the West was dreadful, to the north and  to the south is absolutely horrific with PM readings in the neighborhood of 150.

Fiction does not change reality.

Poor leadership does not clean up the air.

Declarations don't have any effect on the atmosphere. 

Real men act. Small men make insincere promises. 

• Agree 1

Does anyone really trust the AQI readings on aqicn , looking at the map today I can do 4 stops on the BTS and the difference is 102, that's a difference of 102, I can do a 5 min walk from one station to the next in another part and the difference is 50+, one small cluster that I've never been has 38, 100, 52, 71, 78, 29 in what I guess around 600x600metres.

22 minutes ago, eyeman said:

Does anyone really trust the AQI readings on aqicn , looking at the map today I can do 4 stops on the BTS and the difference is 102, that's a difference of 102, I can do a 5 min walk from one station to the next in another part and the difference is 50+, one small cluster that I've never been has 38, 100, 52, 71, 78, 29 in what I guess around 600x600metres.

Too much reliance on technology🤔

I'll believe it when I next spend a day or two walking around BKK, and don't get a throat infection. Always intrigued me how I could smoke like a trooper with no problems, but a day or two in BKK would do for me every time; only happened in BKK, by the way, they sure have something special in the air there.