Growing broccoli sprouts in Thailand?

26 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

For those of us worried about the effects of air pollution on our lungs some amazing evidence that eating broccoli sprouts which take just two to four days to grow from seed so boost the immune system in the nose that pm25 particles don't get thru.

Anybody growing them? I really hope they grow in Thailand. 

Dont grow them but can buy fresh broccoli in the supermarkets, pick off two fresh florets each day and stick them in the nose. Good filtration of pm 2.5 when out and about.

• Haha 1

Yes yes, I expected ridicule.

This

Off to China, where “levels of outdoor air pollution…are among the highest in the world.” By day one, those getting broccoli sprouts were able to get rid of 60 percent more benzene from their bodies. “The key finding…was the observed rapid and highly durable elevation of the detoxification of… a known human carcinogen

This

Off to China, where “levels of outdoor air pollution…are among the highest in the world.” By day one, those getting broccoli sprouts were able to get rid of 60 percent more benzene from their bodies. “The key finding…was the observed rapid and highly durable elevation of the detoxification of… a known human carcinogen

https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/combating-air-pollution-effects-with-food/#:~:text=Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM • July 21%2C 2020&text=Outdoor air pollution may be,%2C stroke%2C and respiratory infection.

Its a pity that this topic has been moved to farming forum. I wanted the widest readership because this could potentially save lives.

• Like 1

Eat a lot of sprouts during cool season. Tried broccoli sprouts a few times, but a lot of problems with insects.

Collard sprout and tomato salad with honey mustard dressing.IMG_20230119_112317.thumb.jpeg.431e0b50abec72f930f84ed5db018e3a.jpeg

Fak tong blossom, carrot, daikon radish sprout salad

IMG_20230513_114131.thumb.jpeg.b6851077d68ad0fe670eeba975fbe84b.jpeg

Red leaf and cilantro sprout salad

IMG_20230109_130339.thumb.jpeg.fdf29f4199cc05492cbd5efc7018369e.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 3:56 AM, sidjameson said:

This

https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/combating-air-pollution-effects-with-food/#:~:text=Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM • July 21%2C 2020&text=Outdoor air pollution may be,%2C stroke%2C and respiratory infection.

Its a pity that this topic has been moved to farming forum. I wanted the widest readership because this could potentially save lives.

Keyword "Growing" = Farming or Plants/Pets forum.  Try "Health Benefits of ..." or something like that next time. 

In any case, we all would like a quick fix, a single 'superfood' that makes health and immunity from harm a simple matter.  But in fact achieving health comes from a comprehensive wellness program with many factors to consider. Even the linked article, even though focused on broccoli sprouts as a superfood, points out that public policy and genetics are also important factors in the defense against pollution. Personally I don't like broccoli, but I have some other cruciferous foods and 'superfoods' that I consume, home grown organic high-nutrient-density fruits and veggies, spirulina, moringa, wheat grass, matcha green tea, cloves, and a lesser known 'superfood' - fulvic acid (https://www.manalifelab.com/wu-jin-san), as well as an omnivore diet with minimal added sugar, no maltodextrin, low carbohydrate diet, has helped me maintain health into old-age, along with exercise and qigong, hiking, mtbiking and outdoor work. 

I apply the same 'wellness', preventive approach to the work I do with plants, crops, and landscape turf and ornamentals. No one product or practice fits all, but what works is a comprehensive program considering the growing conditions, soil and water management, species selection for the right plant - right place, integrated and compatible plantings, appropriate irrigation, minimal tillage, mulching, shading of soil surface, cover cropping where possbile, Integrated Pest Management, biologicals for soil and plant health and avoidance of detrimental products and practices like high NPK chemical fertilizers and pesticides as much as possible.