Another Disappointing Encounter with the Thai Medical Establishment

BangkokHank

3 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I don't think anyone is trying to 'play the victim' here?

What you say in general is true, that is you get pretty good, fast service for a reasonable price, certainly compared to the US.

However the fact there are two separate price lists, quite legally, for medical services seems unfair at best and xenophobic at worst!

I like what Mike Lister said. Almost every business in Thailand would have two price list if they could, many already do but you don't realise it. Go with the flow and accept the things you cannot change, you'll live longer.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I think its both! If they loved foreigners would they charge them 'extra' for being a foreigner?

They only love the money foreigners bring in, that's where it seems to end!

It could even be called 'racist' because they think Thai's are superior to all foreigners, so we can charge them  a lower amount?

So, you are saying that the medical establishment in Thailand fears and hates foreigners 🤔

Maybe not. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It took me a while to realise it but the hospitals were actually charging me for taking my blood pressure, every time I visited. I finally stopped letting them do it and my bill dropped by 125 baht each time. At first they looked at me strange, now they just accept itt. I mean, sure I need to know my blood pressure but since I take it at home every day, I don't need three times daily updates!

On my last 2 visits to the hospital, (BNH Bangkok), I declined their request to check my BP, as I check it every morning, and when I go to the hospital I photograph the monitor, where it is normal, (as in 120/83 with pulse of 63). In the hospital it is nearly 200/120 because of my white coat syndrome. Secondary attempts to check it makes it worse. Whether it's in the nursing fee or not, I don't care, as long as I don't have to go through this procedure, (even at the hygienist for teeth cleaning, or the physio)...it's a national obsession.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

So, you are saying that the medical establishment in Thailand fears and hates foreigners 🤔

Maybe not. 

Absolutely not, like most Thai people they either like us or they're indifferent towards us. But they certainly don't fear and hate us, that's a certainty. I've been treated very well in clinics and hospitals throughout Thailand, both private and public. 

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, samtam said:

Whether it's in the nursing fee or not, I don't care, as long as I don't have to go through this procedure, (even at the hygienist for teeth cleaning, or the physio)

Sounds like low T. Maybe ask for check while you're there.

overcome.jpg.529ad3422af91de52d387be29083b8f0.jpg

Last year at Sirikit the nurse pulled the slip out of the BP machine, smiled, and said, "Number beautiful." So cute.

• Confused 1

Price Gouging you say.  I just got back from a Famous Major Hospital in BKK.  (Check my cover name) 

Their Website advertises Endoscopy $18,000 Baht,  So I made an app't and went over and at the paperwork counter

(you have to pay first, of course)  I am told that Anesthesia is a required part of the procedure           $12,000  Baht

BAIT AND SWITCH??         I paid because I have a swallowing problem and needed it looked at immediately

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Could it be the distinction between "expat" and "tourist" - both "foreigners" - is important here?

Medical services are generally subsidized by taxpayers.  Yes, I know this was ostensibly a private clinic.  Long-stay expats do generally pay considerable taxes via the Thai VAT.  Tourists not so much.

I think charging foreign tourists more for subsidized medical services is understandable.  But there is less of a case - if any at all - for dual-pricing for long-stay expats.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

Medical services are generally subsidized by taxpayers.  Yes, I know this was ostensibly a private clinic.  Long-stay expats do generally pay considerable taxes via the Thai VAT.  Tourists not so much.

Medical services are free to citizens, foreigners pay the actual costs of the service.

Nothing is subsidised by the government or anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What are "AN Prices" and what prices are in "bath"?

The post quotes both the $ signs and the words Baht!

I am asking which currency is being quoted!

I understood your query.

AN = AseanNow

Bath was a lame joke about how frequently baht - 4 letters - is misspelled in these forums.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely not, like most Thai people they either like us or they're indifferent towards us. But they certainly don't fear and hate us, that's a certainty. I've been treated very well in clinics and hospitals throughout Thailand, both private and public. 

Well, that's pretty much the definition of xenophobia.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Medical services are free to citizens, foreigners pay the actual costs of the service.

Nothing is subsidised by the government or anyone else.

Medical services are free to citizens only in government facilities (or, i nthe case of people covered by Thai SS, private facilities that choose to opt in to the system).

Majority of Thais are covered by the "universal" (AKA "30 baht" or "gold card") system. This is totally subsidized by the government.

For those who re covered by SS, this is funded through employee and employer contributions. Foreigners are eligible for this as well as Thais, if formally employed (private schools excepted).

At private facilities charges are not just actual cost, how can they be? A private establishment needs to not just cover costs, but make a profit. (And many private hospitals make a substantial one).

At government facilities the price for those paying out of pocket (which can include some Thais who choose to go to other than their registered hospital) is typically less full cost of the services. Government hospitals perpetually operate at a considerable loss.  However, in the case of the few government hospitals who practice 2 tier pricing, sometimes the official price for foreigners exceeds actual cost of the servcies (overall they are still running t a loss though - government subsidies are way too low). 

13 hours ago, Lee65 said:

I understood your query.

AN = AseanNow

Bath was a lame joke about how frequently baht - 4 letters - is misspelled in these forums.

The words Thai Baht are frequently shown as Thai Bath in signs displayed by locals, many locals believe that is the way the currency is spelled. AN posters can be forgiven in part for being uncertain what the prefered spelling is in the non-native English language country.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Majority of Thais are covered by the "universal" (AKA "30 baht" or "gold card") system. This is totally subsidized by the government.

I don't believe 'subsidised' is the right word in this situation, as the 30bht is not related to the treatment.

My local government hospital doesn't even collect the 30bht, not worth their time I heard someone say. 

The hospital get a fixed monthly budget, plus any cash they make from non registered or foreign patients.

And they appear quite keen to get that cash, they don't seem to view it as a 'charity', or making a loss.

My current treatment is mostly X-rays (x2) at 250bht/time, doesn't cost them anything giving 500bht profit per visit.

Doctor already hired, hospital makes 50bht.

X-ray operators already hired, no consumables as all electronic x-rays, shown on the doctors phone/tablet/PC. 

Edited by BritManToo

21 hours ago, Sluglord said:

Maybe not. 

My original post said:

"However the fact there are two separate price lists, quite legally, for medical services seems unfair at best and xenophobic at worst! "

So I am not saying it is xenophobic, but in a worst case scenario it could give the impression in a certain way!:unsure:

Depending how a person looks at it!

It is certainly unfair that hospitals charge foreigners for not being Thai, I understand that private hospitals are a business and need to make a profit etc, but just cos you look different and speak another language, we are all human after all!

Now having said that it is Thailand and as we know, it is AMAZING! TIT

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

My original post said:

"However the fact there are two separate price lists, quite legally, for medical services seems unfair at best and xenophobic at worst! "

So I am not saying it is xenophobic, but in a worst case scenario it could give the impression in a certain way!:unsure:

Depending how a person looks at it!

It is certainly unfair that hospitals charge foreigners for not being Thai, I understand that private hospitals are a business and need to make a profit etc, but just cos you look different and speak another language, we are all human after all!

Now having said that it is Thailand and as we know, it is AMAZING! TIT

Why is it unfair, or do you mean you don't like it? You didn't contribute to the Social Security Fund and you aren't a member of the 30 baht scheme, why should you or anyone else receive benefit for something that you haven't contributed to or helped finance? If you were in the UK you would be the first to scream most likely if you read that foreign tourists were visiting, just to use the NHS for free, there is little difference.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

If you read my post I clearly mention Private Hospitals! The OP was also referring to private clinic.We are not talking about the NHS in the UK or hospitals in the USA, try and keep on track!

Oh I'm well on track, you still don't seem to understand that using a private hospital is a choice, the cheaper option is to use the government hospital which you seem to wish to ignore in favour of the marble fountains in the foyer and the 42 inch flat screen. If that more expensive option, that you freely chose, has several pricing options, hey, you made that choice.

On 12/20/2023 at 8:29 AM, Mike Lister said:

You are a long stay visitor, you do not have residency ergo you are not resident.

My best advice is that you say nothing to the people at the clinic, do you really think they don't know they have two price lists? Almost every business in Thailand would have two price list if they could, many already do but you don't realise it. Go with the flow and accept the things you cannot change, you'll live longer.

I am a resident here. Just not a "permanent" resident.

Who said that I think that the people at the clinic don't know that they charge foreigners more? The receptionist told ME that they practice dual pricing, so of course they are aware of it.

You also say to go with the flow and accept the things I cannot change. So first I have to see if I can change it. And if I can't, only then will I accept it - however reluctantly. But if nobody complains, then they certainly won't change.