Another Disappointing Encounter with the Thai Medical Establishment

BangkokHank

21 minutes ago, samtam said:

What is it with this "hospital fee"? I too pay a "service fee" at my hospital, (plus the doctor - 500, 800, 1000, 1200, depending on the phase of the moon), also plus a nurses fee to take my blood pressure, which by the time I'm more than completely effed off, is verging on the stroke level.

Of course, as new Thai taxpayers, all of these foreigner fees will disappear...:cheesy:

Same here, when I visited PIH in Pattaya they made me pay get the bp test right after checking in. Of course it always reads high.I just got off my motorbike after running the gauntlet of 2nd Rd.

There's a nurses fee involved.It's only 300 baht but I feel it's a wee bit of a rip off.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

It's also only 70 baht for them.

Would you accept it if your supermarket charged you 70 baht extra for being a foreigner? After all, it's just 70 baht - and you're obviously a rich foreigner.

I guess you don't understand the concept of principles. In that case, perhaps you could pay the extra 70 baht for me - since it's such a small amount?

Principles dont come cheapit seems😂

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

This is just another "double pricing" thread.

Everybody knows how this works but you thought you would try to embarrass or humiliate some poor receptionist who works at the clinic by demanding answers, another disgruntled farang.  Pretty pathetic IMHO :guitar:

He's not responsible for the policy, congratulations, well done :clap2:

I have no objection to embarrassing racists/xenophobes/bigots.

I'm just obeying ze orders ........ always nice to see that move.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

A shopping mall near my home in a Bangkok suburb is currently undergoing a complete renovation. While walking around the mall a couple of weeks ago observing the work in progress, I spotted what I thought was a brilliant addition to the mall: A very large, modern looking health clinic. This is such a practical idea, because there are many health-related things that do not require the use of a hospital, such as blood tests, etc.

Yesterday I went back to the mall to check if the clinic was open, and it was. So I asked them what it would cost to have a fasting insulin test. The man working at the reception responded with, "We only recently opened, so we don't have our foreigner prices yet." Ha. Not a good start. I countered with, "So you have different prices for foreigners and Thais." He said yes. So I asked, "And the prices for foreigners is lower, right?" I was actually not so surprised when he answered that no, actually foreigners have to pay a little more. When I asked him why, he just mumbled something about "hospital policy". 

The actual prices were as follows: Price of the test (for foreigners): 420 baht. Plus a 250 baht hospital fee. Price for Thais: 350 baht (plus the hospital fee). Conclusion: The main benefit for me of having this conveniently located clinic just minutes away from my home is that now I don't have to go as far as I used to to get overcharged for medical care. I wonder why they feel the need to charge foreigners more for things? And I just hope that the other shops in the mall, like the supermarket, don't get any ideas from them.

Did you ever came across with the expression " cash cow" ? Very common in economics.🧑‍🎄

2 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Would you accept it if your supermarket charged you 70 baht extra for being a foreigner?

They don't, and there's no suggestion that they will.  Maybe when they start providing blood test services it'll change and they'll deliver a nurse with the groceries for just B70 extra.  'Kin bargain.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

The actual prices were as follows: Price of the test (for foreigners): 420 baht. Plus a 250 baht hospital fee. Price for Thais: 350 baht (plus the hospital fee).

You could always go to a private hospital where Thais and foreigners pay the same 900 baht...

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Because they are stupid.

There must be a reason why you can afford to pay more, right? You could be morally superior, smarter, etc.

No. It's because they can. Same with any commodity. And it's now legally legitimized for medical services as well. So they can, so they scam.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Olmate said:

70bht!! Oh dear.

Nothing Oh dear, It's the Principle  they think If one can do that everyone Can/Will do it.

Greedy ripoffs. 

Would the Thais be happy to pay more then the Locals in an other country. 

I Don't think so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

A shopping mall near my home in a Bangkok suburb is currently undergoing a complete renovation. While walking around the mall a couple of weeks ago observing the work in progress, I spotted what I thought was a brilliant addition to the mall: A very large, modern looking health clinic. This is such a practical idea, because there are many health-related things that do not require the use of a hospital, such as blood tests, etc.

Yesterday I went back to the mall to check if the clinic was open, and it was. So I asked them what it would cost to have a fasting insulin test. The man working at the reception responded with, "We only recently opened, so we don't have our foreigner prices yet." Ha. Not a good start. I countered with, "So you have different prices for foreigners and Thais." He said yes. So I asked, "And the prices for foreigners is lower, right?" I was actually not so surprised when he answered that no, actually foreigners have to pay a little more. When I asked him why, he just mumbled something about "hospital policy". 

The actual prices were as follows: Price of the test (for foreigners): 420 baht. Plus a 250 baht hospital fee. Price for Thais: 350 baht (plus the hospital fee). Conclusion: The main benefit for me of having this conveniently located clinic just minutes away from my home is that now I don't have to go as far as I used to to get overcharged for medical care. I wonder why they feel the need to charge foreigners more for things? And I just hope that the other shops in the mall, like the supermarket, don't get any ideas from them.

From my point of view those prices are still ridiculously reasonable, even with a small premium that they're charging for foreigners. It's not like the National parks where it's 10x more.

I just had some work done Ramathibodi in Bangkok and it was not only excellent, but it was very reasonable. Where I come from in the US the tests and exams that I had done would have been 75 times more. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Nothing Oh dear, It's the Principle  they think If one can do that everyone Can/Will do it.

Greedy ripoffs. 

Would the Thais be happy to pay more then the Locals in an other country. 

I Don't think so.

I think having an attitude like that is just an invitation for aggravation, you can play the victim if you want, but I would rather pay a price that's 2% of what I would pay back in the US, than worry myself over a small premium that they're charging for a foreigner.

It just doesn't make a difference. Water off a duck's back. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2