refused first 1 year extension of stay on Non-O retirment visa at CW today

I went to Chang Wattana Divsion 1 today and was refused my first 1 year extension of stay on my current Non-O retirement visa (expires Jan 15 24). I was told because I need a 1 year lease. I currently live in a month to month apartment building.

The male Immigration Officer asked me "where's your contract"? I politely told him that I pay month to month at the apartment where I stay in Bangkok. I supplied a TM30, invoice and receipt for my rent. He told me no. You need a contact and then also showed me a laminated page describing the Tambien baan and other house registration. I'll attach it. He told me to bring a contact and I asked "how long"? and he said 1 year. He said make an appointment and come back. Your Visa expires Jan 15. Come back etc.  He said "money OK" everything OK but where is the contact?

My Non-O expires on Jan 15 24'

I am really discouraged. I've not had big problems getting extensions before. I've done all mine at Chonburi. I used only a contract there. Never had to supply a Tambian Baan OR condo owner ID. What gives?

I really do not want to get a 1 year contact here at my apartment building. I'm not sure I want to live here much longer and will be actively looking for a condo. I've already paid till Jan 15 here. What a headache!!

I think I can get a one year lease here at the apartment building but I'll have to make a deposit. I really do not wish to make a "contract" to stay here as I'm currently looking for another place to live and will obviously lose the deposit if I leave.

Is this common practice for an extension at CW? Supplying a lease contract and Tambian Baabn ( I suspect if I don't' supply a signed copy of the owners ID I will be refused AGAIN!)

Anyone have any solutions? HELP!

If I do get a contact here  at my apartment - what EXACTLY should I bring besides the contact? Is it really a requirement now to bring the Tambian Baan? And possibly also copy of the owners ID? what a pain! Did I run into a rogue I/O at the L counters?

tambianBaan.jpg

2 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

He said "money OK" everything OK but where is the contact?

OP, that is really disappointing.

You should not require a one year lease for your first extension.

The io was unreasonable especially if you explained that you are thinking of moving. 

You could discuss doing a non binding lease with landlord.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, that is really disappointing.

You should not require a one year lease for your first extension.

The io was unreasonable especially if you explained that you are thinking of moving. 

You could discuss doing a non binding lease with landlord.

I can get a lease with my landlord. Perhaps non-binding. This I/O also brought out the Tambien Baan laminated sheet and basically told me I have to bring one of those also. I have in the past been asked to bring a copy of the owners ID signed . (This was at Jomtien Chonburi office but from what I remember this was for the Non-O visa with the known rogue Non-O visa officer there at desk 7)

So are you suggesting that I was unlucky and got a rogue Imm Officer looking over my paper work? With that being the case what should I do? Should I try again in a week ( walk in) and then try my luck with the next IO there?

This really sucks, I do not plan on living in this apartment long term. I don't really want to leave the country and do a visa run and then get yet another Non-O retirement visa and restart the process... this is exhausting. 6 hours of my day wasted, sorting paper work, paying the bank for paper work that will be useless after a week (IO officer said bank papers are no good after a week??) that sounds wrong too.

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

Basically, they're telling you to use an agent. No lease, TM30 or proof of funds needed. You can even got to an agent in Pattaya and they'll sort it out for you. Or use Thai Visa in Bangkok. They'll send someone to your room to pick up your passport.

Respectfully, I am not sure this is the case. This is Division 1 Chang Wattana Bangkok. Please read my post. Proof of funds is necessary to get any 1 year extension of permission to stay on a Non-O retirement visa. Generally some form of residency proof is required also. Just in my case I am staying in a month to month apartment and showing the invoice and receipt of payment wasn't enough for this Immigration Officer at the L counters.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

I can get a lease with my landlord. Perhaps non-binding. This I/O also brought out the Tambien Baan laminated sheet and basically told me I have to bring one of those also. I have in the past been asked to bring a copy of the owners ID signed

Two things going on here. 

The one year lease is rubbish from the io.

I would obtain a throw away 12 month lease with owner. 

The other aspect relates to TM30.

Thinking that you have not done a TM47 with CW? 

Since you have had issues you could consider use of agent to smooth the lease issue..

Surprised this occured at CW. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Two things going on here. 

The one year lease is rubbish from the io.

I would obtain a throw away 12 month lease with owner. 

The other aspect relates to TM30.

Thinking that you have not done a TM47 with CW? 

Since you have had issues you could consider use of agent to smooth the lease issue..

Surprised this occured at CW. 

Since it's the first 1 year extension no need to do a TM47 yet. the Non-O is dated from Oct 16 to Jan 15 so I"ve not stayed in country on this visa for more than 90 days yet.

What about the TM30? I supplied an updated proof of notification that coincided with my rental invoice.

What exactly do you think the agent would do to smooth the lease issue? Especially if I got the 1 year throw away ??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Since it's the first 1 year extension no need to do a TM47 yet. the Non-O is dated from Oct 16 to Jan 15 so I"ve not stayed in country on this visa for more than 90 days yet.

What exactly do you think the agent would do to smooth the lease issue? Especially if I got the 1 year throw away ??

Well, if you got a throw-away lease, you're golden, no need for an agent.

It's just down to your landlord being willing to make a 'fake' contract to help you.

20 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Well, if you got a throw-away lease, you're golden, no need for an agent.

It's just down to your landlord being willing to make a 'fake' contract to help you.

Are you sure about that? The Immigration Officer pulled out a laminated sheet that I attached above saying I need to bring a copy of that too from the owner. Also in the past when I've had to jump through hoops they might pull out the "we need the signed ID of the apartment owner" bit too. This happened in Chonburi Jomtien Soi 5.

Man I really ran into a bit of bad luck and I don't know why. I dressed well, all my paper work was there.. all friggin 30 pages of it..

Question: Does anybody know exactly which L desks do the Non-O retirement extensions? I was at desk L35 today. It might have been the only desk that deals with retirement extensions. Or, do ALL of the L desks do 1 year extensions? Or do most just do the 30 day extensions? Baffled about this entire business today. Really miffs me.

7 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

What about the TM30? I supplied an updated proof of notification that coincided with my rental invoice.

Few things going on.

Yes you would not require a TM47.

Just checking that is was in fact your FIRST extension.

As for TM30 that should have been sufficient.

No idea what the io issue was.

Perhaps just being difficult.

As regards agent...just a suggestion as time running out. 

You have financials etc in place. 

Perhaps an agent can "make it happen" 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Few things going on.

Yes you would not require a TM47.

Just checking that is was in fact your FIRST extension.

As for TM30 that should have been sufficient.

No idea what the io issue was.

Perhaps just being difficult.

As regards agent...just a suggestion as time running out. 

You have financials etc in place. 

Perhaps an agent can "make it happen" 

I might call around I spoke to one briefly today. He said wait till after Christmas so they "forget about you" and then he'd use one of his addresses and paper work. He didn't mention how much he'd charge though. I hope not alot since i have every pieces except the lease that this rogue IO wanted. The agent that I spoke to did not tell me that I should have gotten the extension with only the TM30.. but I think this agent might not be that great.. anyway. I'll be calling around tomorrow to see what "magic" these guys have to offer. I need one that has an existing relationship with one or more I/O's at the extension desks and can "do the magic". This guy I spoke to sounded like he didn't have a "relationship" with any of the I/O's there and was going to pull some address trickery.

In April 2023 I was turned down at Chonburi on the same grounds. I was told "you want a long-term visa, you need a long-term contract". What I had to show was not a real contract, just an agreement letter stating I was renting for 3 months and what the rent was. When I went to immigration I was 3 weeks away from the end of the 3 months in that condo and I just wanted to get the extension before flying back to Europe for the summer months. This was my 4th extension and the first time I was trying to do it on my own without an agent.

12 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

The male Immigration Officer asked me "where's your contract"?

Was this the first IO you met with? Or was this the first IO's supervisor/manager?

Not sure what to say but I know what I'd do. Get the damn extension

Work with the landlord to get a one-year contract but with a single term that says either party can cancel this contract with one-day's notice.

Register the apartment on the TM30 site, and file there.

Get a copy of the Blue Book and the Owner's ID. Both signed. (These are needed to register for the TM30 site, and your extension doc pack.)

38 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Was this the first IO you met with? Or was this the first IO's supervisor/manager?

Not sure what to say but I know what I'd do. Get the damn extension

Work with the landlord to get a one-year contract but with a single term that says either party can cancel this contract with one-day's notice.

Register the apartment on the TM30 site, and file there.

Get a copy of the Blue Book and the Owner's ID. Both signed. (These are needed to register for the TM30 site, and your extension doc pack.)

At those L desks they first have you sit down with an officer who reviews the paper work, then sends you to an officer who again reviews the paper work and if all is well stamps the extension into the passport. The 2nd IO who does the stamping refused the application. Saying I needed a lease and showing me the Tabien Baan card that I took a picture of.

7 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

The 2nd IO who does the stamping refused the application.

Yeah. Been there, done that, 10-ish years.

So the first IO raised the issue of the contract? Did she stamp your passport, and collect the 1,900 baht fee? Or did she refer you to the second IO. 

There is, at least, a third-level review, done outside of your presence.

I always have a contract in hand (and the twelve most recent bills and proof of payment), which runs for at least the duration of a new stamp, so 1+ year. I include it in my doc pack, but it is usually removed and handed back to me with no obvious review or comment.

8 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Yeah. Been there, done that, 10-ish years.

So the first IO raised the issue of the contract? Did she stamp your passport, and collect the 1,900 baht fee? Or did she refer you to the second IO. 

There is, at least, a third-level review, done outside of your presence.

I always have a contract in hand (and the twelve most recent bills and proof of payment), which runs for at least the duration of a new stamp, so 1+ year. I include it in my doc pack, but it is usually removed and handed back to me with no obvious review or comment.

Please read my reply. No, second I/O denied the extension sighting "where is your contract"

10 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Thank you kindly for your attention and help Dr. Jack. Frustrating day today

Be careful of using an agent that will only bring more trouble for you. If they take your passport out of town to get stamped you will be stuck doing that forever. Try again next year and if you have problem just offer cash to clear up the issue for now. In the long run it will be cheaper and next year you will be clear. I used an agent agent for 2 years then tried to switch to CW and they thru my passport back at me and said go back to agent. Long story short the IO showed on there phone how much to clear everything up was 10,000 baht. done and done that was 3 years ago. Best of luck chill out my friend stay cool.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dayo202 said:

You can download a least document contract on-line.

Just fill the form in yours, get you landlord to sign. Once the extension been granted bin the contract 

Sorry, have you tried this yourself?

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Go back to the original office that you used before, some offices are a real pain in the butt, and others are a lot easier to work with, and if the guy gives you a hard time offer him 1,000 or 2,000 baht. He will likely accept it, and sign off on the visa. 

Have you tried this yourself? Or just offering an "idea".

Exactly what would you say to a mainly Thai speaking immigration officer in English in order to subtly offer him a bribe?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Exactly what would you say to a mainly Thai speaking immigration officer in English in order to subtly offer him a bribe?

Open your phone to the calculator and enter the amount they will counter offer same way if not enough. Good Luck

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

I have done it many times and I know many people who have done it many times. 90% of all immigration officers are corrupt. I've offered them tips, I've asked them if there's anything that I can do to move this along, I've asked them what can I do to expedite this? Most speak English. Most understand the anguage of money. Most are on the take. 

And almost invariably they give me a wink or a smile, and sometimes say up to you. Sometimes they give me an actual figure, so yes you can employ this anytime, anywhere, without any fear of any sort of reprisal. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I have done it many times and I know many people who have done it many times. 90% of all immigration officers are corrupt. I've offered them tips, I've asked them if there's anything that I can do to move this along, I've asked them what can I do to expedite this? Most speak English. Most understand the anguage of money. Most are on the take. 

And almost invariably they give me a wink or a smile, and sometimes say up to you. Sometimes they give me an actual figure, so yes you can employ this anytime, anywhere, without any fear of any sort of reprisal. 

If this were common practice at Chang Wattana I would think we'd read much more about this kind of thing in this forum. I read quite a bit here and yours is the first instance stating it's common place. That "many people I know have done it". If that's the case why isn't it talked about more here?

If bribing was something commonly done by Farangs at immigration and without any possible ramifications I think we'd see almost every other post say something like "Be sure and bring a few thousand extra in case there is a problem". Be sure and be prepared if there is a problem and then ask them "is there anything I can do to move this along" whilst opening your wallet. etc etc.

Your experience maybe truly yours, but I'm not one to risk being punished by an I/O who is by the book and decides to accuse me of bribery etc.

I can almost predict the response to this post. Oh yea, I've done it! Every other time! I'm and expert at bribing Immigration Officials. I got my Non-O without even filling out any forms.. Just showed the I/O 10,000 THB and it was done and dusted!!! ... ah no!!