What are most Russians doing here and how are they financing themselves?

bob smith

On 12/24/2023 at 5:00 PM, Felt 35 said:

Thailand

$17,100 (2021 est.)
$16,800 (2020 est.)
$18,000 (2019 est.)    

Russia

$28,000 (2021 est.)
$26,600 (2020 est.)
$27,300 (2019 est.)

Real GDP per capita - The World Factbook (cia.gov)

I have been hundreds of times, speak fluent Russian, extreme poverty in the villages and small towns, alcoholics and easily manipulated illiterate people

• Agree 2

On 12/24/2023 at 5:00 PM, Felt 35 said:

Thailand

$17,100 (2021 est.)
$16,800 (2020 est.)
$18,000 (2019 est.)    

Russia

$28,000 (2021 est.)
$26,600 (2020 est.)
$27,300 (2019 est.)

Real GDP per capita - The World Factbook (cia.gov)

A great portion of Russia's GDP comes from oil and gas. Thailand doesn't have that. But if you compare salaries in Thailand and Russia, you will see that they are pretty much the same.

Edited by JoseThailand

On 12/20/2023 at 3:32 AM, bob smith said:

what are the vast majority of them doing here?

Some of them living an idle life, some of them working remotely.

how are they supporting themselves and their families without working?

Some of them working remotely, some of them have pre-saved capital, some of them are funded from abroad.

how long are they going to stay here?

Some of them stay for years (elite, student, retirement, tourist visas), some of them stay for 3 months of visa free period, some of them come on package chartered tours especially in winter.

will they ever go home? why dont they just go back to russia, put on their army uniforms and face the music. they started the war after all, best go back home now and fight it imo.

No. Half of people (less or more) don't support the war - why should they fight at it? They think it is not protective war for Russia so no remorses for them...

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 5:13 AM, anandra said:

I have been many times, extreme poverty, and a little better life in a few large cities. 

russian dream.jpg

scale_1200.webp

ruzzia.webp

ruzzia1.webp

No need to exaggerate - most of Russian people don't live like that - and never experienced such misarable views in their lives. Lots of regions, small towns and villages are abandoned or half-abandoned now - as many especially young people have moved to bigger towns or cities.
I would say the life in Russian big cities is much more comfortable than in Thailand though the climate in some areas like Eastern or Northern part of Russia is tough. There are often no differences between life in the Russian big cities and life in Western Europe. 

11.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

From the mouths of babes and very old people. She won't be needing to travel --

Thank you for a real video!  Not one using old women state actors calling for the death of Ukrainian Children. She represents a wider part of Russian opinion than state propaganda leads you to believe. 

You should hear an old friend of mine. He won't mention Putin by name on the phone (out of fear) but calls him "the one whose name cannot be mentioned".

Btw, his daughter came to Thailand with her husband so he wouldn't get killed. They are lovely ordinary folks trying to live life. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 minutes ago, rabas said:

Thank you for a real video!  Not one using old women state actors calling for the death of Ukrainian Children. She represents a wider part of Russian opinion than state propaganda leads you to believe. 

I have been following that channel for a while he has mad some good video's 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I also found this guy make some interesting video's about life in Russia

Zack the Russian is a charming young Russian dissident now studying in the US. He does political news and opinion. He originally fled to Georgia the country.

The massively successful NFKRZ channel often covers Russian politics. The creator is exiled in Georgia. He did some entertaining videos about his trip to Thailand. He's paying a lot of money to lawyers trying to emigrate to western Europe.

On 12/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, JoseThailand said:

I am Russian living in Thailand. You can ask me some questions

Do you think because so small amount of Russians speak any English, and the only news source in Russia is state controlled, that from an early age this is all they see and hear? That it is almost a brainwashing they get all their lives?

2 hours ago, Seppius said:

Do you think because so small amount of Russians speak any English, and the only news source in Russia is state controlled, that from an early age this is all they see and hear? That it is almost a brainwashing they get all their lives?

Most of the Russians I meet speak good English and I've met a few especially if they come from Moscow, it's the older ones who don't speak much, I guess from the days of the USSR, 

On 12/29/2023 at 1:04 PM, Seppius said:

Although most Russians don't speak or even understand English, I don't think that's the main reason. There is plenty of information in the Russian language from independent media that operate on the Internet and Youtube. Russian-language opposition channels get millions of views.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Agree 2

On 12/29/2023 at 3:21 PM, ChipButty said:

Most of the Russians I meet speak good English and I've met a few especially if they come from Moscow, it's the older ones who don't speak much, I guess from the days of the USSR, 

Even the younger generation speaks very basic English at best. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Although most Russians don't speak or even understand English, I don't think that's the main reason. There is plenty of information in the Russian language from independent media that operate on the Internet and Youtube. Russian-language opposition channels get millions of views.

nonsense, all ruskis are complete zombies without any critical thinking

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/22/2023 at 9:25 AM, Prubangboy said:

There is a trope here that Americans ONLY want to talk about money and how much they have.

And that they will not shut up about how cheap healthcare is here (OK, that part is true).

Excuse me, I have to go and prevent a German from hogging a sun bed.

russian healthcare is so cheap, that people visit half-destroyed rotten hospitals. the doctors are drunk at work, and cancer patients commit suicide, because of a lack of medicine just to soothe their pain. I  can send articles about this from ruski state media, if you want

• Agree 1

This is one of the examples of what the ruski do here in Thailand, the clown after living in a tent in Ko Larn, now moved to live in a tent and in an abandoned house in Kho Pangan, This Video is about ruski oligarchs. the richest tourists, should he be deported?

• Like 1

There are many Russians in Pattaya/Phuket for example, setting up businesses to accommodate Russian Expats and tourists. Naturally they, like most other small immigrant community's around the world wants a reputation of "Mafia" to protect themselves from local thugs. Russians, they are just like anyone else. When it comes to setting up in foreign country like the Chinese have done all around the world, just as Italians, Lebanese, etc. it is an advantage to have a reputation that people should not meddle in your business. And yea...some Russians probably sell steroids, run online scams or whatever to support themselves here just as many Europeans do. 

• Sad 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:43 AM, save the frogs said:

you know how it goes man.

money talks and bullsh*t walks.

Yup, Bob is a walker, no doubt.

• Haha 1

I think here in this post we are talking about Russians in Phuket and Pattaya, I have been told from a well connected Thai it's even worse in Chiang Mai, but not just Russians also the Chinese, my friend told me they have built Chinese schools up there, 

On 12/20/2023 at 8:25 AM, stupidfarang said:

I see some russians selling cars via FB

Plenty doing and bikes here in Phuket 

Edited by ChipButty