Decarboxylation temperature and time matrix? Accurate?

connda

The Decarboxylation cycle graph below seems to be the "go-to" authority on decarbing cannabis.

Does anyone use a different method to maximize THC content?   Care to share?  :thumbsup:

I think the limitation to this chart is the potential content of THC in each batch of cannabis.  Now, we have vendors claiming their product produces "nnn" milligrams of THC or "nn" % THC.  But what is that based on.  Do we really know the amount of
THC-A and CBD-A that a batch of cannabis we purchase really has?  Then - if we decarb and infuse (with coconut oil) what will be the potenacy of the oil we produce?

decarboxylation-cannabis-temperature-chart-thc-768x595-2563105146.jpeg.f0fb914868fe7ad48daeab82ba7c2b30.jpeg

20 hours ago, connda said:

The Decarboxylation cycle graph below seems to be the "go-to" authority on decarbing cannabis.

Does anyone use a different method to maximize THC content?   Care to share?  :thumbsup:

I think the limitation to this chart is the potential content of THC in each batch of cannabis.  Now, we have vendors claiming their product produces "nnn" milligrams of THC or "nn" % THC.  But what is that based on.  Do we really know the amount of
THC-A and CBD-A that a batch of cannabis we purchase really has?  Then - if we decarb and infuse (with coconut oil) what will be the potenacy of the oil we produce?

decarboxylation-cannabis-temperature-chart-thc-768x595-2563105146.jpeg.f0fb914868fe7ad48daeab82ba7c2b30.jpeg

Build your own lab and test it. Can't wait to see your exploration 😂🎄

• Confused 2

Thank you for sharing this! 

I buy brick cannabis for 20-30 baht/gram and want to make edibles (rather than joints) but the decarbing process is hard to understand for me.

So, thank you for sharing this and I hope to learn more from this posting!

105c for about 40 or so min will convert about 85 % into thc. the drop in potency as the chart shows comes slower at at temp than others. trying to catch that falling knife with higher temps is not really advisable. 

On 12/21/2023 at 4:21 PM, connda said:

Do we really know the amount of THC-A and CBD-A that a batch of cannabis we purchase really has?

after decarb you have dropped the acid molecule and are left with just thc. 

Edited by stoner
  • Thanks 1

Experience shows cooking for 60 minutes at 225 F works well. To control variables, use an oven thermometer, and a thermal mass (like a heavy ceramic dish) and preheat (including the thermal mass) until the temperature is stable before placing the material in. The material can be loosely contained, e.g. in a vented container or loosely wrapped aluminum foil. There will be a strong odor. Cooking at time that is too short or long, or temperature that is too low or high, will reduce potency.

The easier way is to use a decarboxylator, a device specifically designed to provide the optimum thermal profile. Ref thread

For best body absorption results, eat the decarboxylated material with a fatty food, like butter, peanut butter, Nutella, coconut oil, etc.

The advantage of doing your own decarboxylation rather than buying edibles is you can choose your specific strain. While edibles typically claim type, e.g. Sativa, Indica, Hybrid, Energy, Restfulness, etc. they seldom state the specific strain they use. Strain specific cannabinoids and terpenes, etc. will persist through the decarboxylation process, whether that is smoking, vaping, or cooking (these are all decarb processes, removing the CO2 molecules from the THCA / CBDA / etc. molecules, to enable them to be psychoactive effective.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 4:21 PM, connda said:

This decarboxylation business is a rabbit hole. It is not that critical regarding all these variables: Decarboxylation during combustion is about 1000 F. So why all this control this control that about it. What I do is just grind up  about 4 grams leaves/flowers . Put in a frying pan with enough coconut oil to cover it , about 250ml. Then heat it while monitoring the CO2 bubbling up during decarboxylation. With out burning it. So off on the heat for "about" 20 minutes/until the CO2 is released.  So now I add dark chocolate powder, brown sugar, and wheat germ for filling it out. Any wheat flower would work. Then let pour the mixture into pan and let cool to a solid. Then cut up to small cubes. Then keep in refrigerator.  And these brownies for sure do it. *** One more thing. You can either chew and swallow or let disolve under tongue. Seems under tongue is a lighter high. Do start with only one of these cubes - pretty strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I just put some coconut oil in the pan, heat it up, drop small made buds mixture on it and mix it well while it's in the pan, I guess that after 15 minutes I can take the oil and make ice cubes of it, without going through the decarb step, and it's gettting heated up in the oil. Am I right?