Annual angst about proposal to renew current April International Health Insurance Policy - new AA recommendation to replace with Regency for Expats Policy. What to Do?????

dinga

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It sounds like you may have April UK policy?

April International (France), April Thailand, April UK --- all vpmpletely different.

Please check your policy documents. Who exactly is the contract with and who is listed as underwriter? 

Thanks, Sheryl.  I had no idea there were different Aprils.  I checked my original policy documents and I have April International Expat, a subsidy of April International.  It seems to be run out of the AI Paris office, and my dealings have always been with the Paris office--and my billings always in Euros, with documents in French with English translations.

I could not find any reference to an underwriter in any of my paperwork and it's been so long that I can't remember how I learned of, and got signed up with, AI Expat in the first place.  I used to have to fill out paper claim forms but now I have a phone app to use, Easy Claim.

There are 3 zones with AI Expat.  A, the most expensive, covers the US, Switzerland, Japan and a few others.  B zone, a long list, is mostly other 1st world countries, including GB, Germany and a number of other European countries, plus others scattered around the world.  Zone C, the least expensive, is every country not covered in A or B, including Thailand.   

I guess in a few months when I get my renewal notice I'll see if Thailand will be bumped up to Zone B.  Hopefully not.  I think in the meantime I will check with Paris to see if I can switch over to April Thailand, if it would be cheaper and with no wait periods.

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Thanks, Sheryl.  I had no idea there were different Aprils.  I checked my original policy documents and I have April International Expat, a subsidy of April International.  It seems to be run out of the AI Paris office, and my dealings have always been with the Paris office--and my billings always in Euros, with documents in French with English translations.

I could not find any reference to an underwriter in any of my paperwork and it's been so long that I can't remember how I learned of, and got signed up with, AI Expat in the first place.  I used to have to fill out paper claim forms but now I have a phone app to use, Easy Claim.

There are 3 zones with AI Expat.  A, the most expensive, covers the US, Switzerland, Japan and a few others.  B zone, a long list, is mostly other 1st world countries, including GB, Germany and a number of other European countries, plus others scattered around the world.  Zone C, the least expensive, is every country not covered in A or B, including Thailand.   

I guess in a few months when I get my renewal notice I'll see if Thailand will be bumped up to Zone B.  Hopefully not.  I think in the meantime I will check with Paris to see if I can switch over to April Thailand, if it would be cheaper and with no wait periods.

OK I see. So it is April International out of France (same as I and several others have) but apparently an old type of policy from long ago hence the different name and different zone coding, and inability to add a deductible.

I definitely do not recommend a switch to April Thailand. Keep what you have. If you like coudl consult a broker about whether there is a way to shift to one of April's newer policies that do allow deductible. AOC brokers seem familiar with April. https://www.aoc-insurancebroker.com/

7 hours ago, Sophon said:

Another data point for you:
image.png.748ec8a6666b28ed39926ba4d584c271.png

Last years premium USD 2,114.21 so a 13.4% increase (going from age 61 to 62).

Here's another data point still showing Zone 3.  Policy has been in effect since July 1, 2020. This year's premium increase is about 12%.  Perhaps the change to Zone 2 takes effect from August 2024, so the impact of the increased premium will hit me next year.  

Your benefits for the period 01/07/2024 to 30/06/2025

Premiums

Medical expenses - Type of membership: Principal insured + spouse + 1 child
Type of cover: 1st USD
Level of cover: Essential
Option: Hospitalisation and Basic repatriation assistance
Annual deductible: USD 500
Zone of cover: 3

USD 4,375.43

Comprehensive repatriation assistance and personal liability (private capacity) Not selected
Death and total and irreversible loss of autonomy Not selected
Income protection Not selected

Membership fee to the Association des Assurés APRIL USD 3.00

Total premium due for the period 01/07/2024 to 30/06/2025 USD 4,378.43
TOTAL TO PAY - To be paid before 05/07/2024 USD 4,378.43

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

OK I see. So it is April International out of France (same as I and several others have) but apparently an old type of policy from long ago hence the different name and different zone coding, and inability to add a deductible.

I definitely do not recommend a switch to April Thailand. Keep what you have. If you like coudl consult a broker about whether there is a way to shift to one of April's newer policies that do allow deductible. AOC brokers seem familiar with April. https://www.aoc-insurancebroker.com/

Thank you so much, Sheryl.  Good advice, as always!

On 12/22/2023 at 8:06 AM, dinga said:

YES - I've created another Thread for this specific question (Thai Social Security Health Coverage)

Link?