Parliament debates marriage equality bills

snoop1130

equality.png

Four marriage equality bills, separately proposed by the government, the opposition and a people’s network, were debated in the House of Representatives today, as supporters of the right to same-sex marriage appealed to legislators to pass the first readings of the bills as a “New Year’s gift”.

Deputy Prime Minister Somsak Thepsuthin told parliament that the government-sponsored bill aims to amend Section 68 of the Civil and Commercial Code, regarding the definition of marriage, to cover all genders, instead of just between a man and a woman.

He explained that the government’s bill is not meant to write a new law on marriage and, hence, it does not go against Sharia law, which is enforced in the southernmost provinces.

Caption: File photo

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-12-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

deja vu.. Prayuth had promised after the Gay Pride to arrange the Gay Marriage and it was accepted in the parliament. However after many committees and readings and delays still nothing. Now again first reading and accepting 4 bils.. They have to merged to one and it will take again months, and delays that I don 't dare to hope that Gay Marriage will be possible in 2024... They should have voted yesterday to accept one law and gay to make gay marriage possible on 1st of January 2024 or.. so  but this in Thailand.. nobody dares

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the government-sponsored bill aims to amend Section 68 of the Civil and Commercial Code, regarding the definition of marriage,

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the government’s bill is not meant to write a new law on marriage

Um, how does that work, I wonder?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The only advantage would be to be able to adopt kids, or less money in the bank if you are a 'Falang', but I can hear it now, "You Falang CAN NOT"

It also strengthens (1) the Thai b/f's rights of inheritance, both here & in Falangland (2) the falang b/f's rights of usufruct in Thailand.

Those are the principal issues from my point of view.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/21/2023 at 7:48 PM, snoop1130 said:

He explained that the government’s bill is not meant to write a new law on marriage and, hence, it does not go against Sharia law, which is enforced in the southernmost provinces.

I honestly didn't know that Sharia law is enforced in Thailand's southernmost provinces, and I find that quite shocking. Anyone know since when? I tend to follow the news but must have missed this. 

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

I honestly didn't know that Sharia law is enforced in Thailand's southernmost provinces, and I find that quite shocking. Anyone know since when? I tend to follow the news but must have missed this. 

I hadn't heard that before either, and I find it shocking too if its true.     I'm  hoping something has been lost in translation, possibly they meant to say sharia law was "observed"  down south,  and it was a was of saying they didn't want to upset traditional muslim sensitivities . 

I really can't believe they are allowed to amputate peoples hands as a punishment for theft

• Like 1