Buying Used European Car - Good Or Bad Move?

Considering a used (95) Audi A4, it seems well maintained and only has 65K on the clock, am I potentially setting myself up for expensive repairs, parts and servicing? Presumably any parts would be European sourced so expensive. Is servicing European Cars here significantly higher than local manufactured cars like Toyota, Honda or Mazda?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

I'm driving a 24 year old European car (Volvo 245), and in general parts are quite expensive.

However, since your car (and mine) is over 10 years old there might be a pretty good supply of reconditioned spare parts.

For example, a few months ago the power steering pump gave out on my car, and I could choose between a 9500 Baht new one, or a 3000 Baht reconditioned one. The Volvo does have the advantage of being assembled in Thailand, and additionally the 245 shares a lot of parts, including the engine with the 900 series, of which heaps are still driving around.

For other less important parts such as suspension rubbers and joints etc, a lot of affordable aftermarket stuff is available.

The biggest worry on imported European cars seems to be auto gearboxes. I've seen heaps of Audi's, older BMW's, Saabs etc stranded with blown gearboxes, and these things are terribly expensive to repair/replace. Culprit seems to be the quite high average temperature in Thailand.

However with 65000 km on the clock (if genuine, seems very low for the age) you wouldn't need to worry about the gear for at least another 70 or 80 thousand clicks!

Normally these Audi's are pretty cheap to acquire, since they seem to have "old man's car" imago problem, so demand is not very high considering the fact that "imago" is probably the most decisive factor in buying a car in Thailand :o

Is that silver one I saw advertised ?? Good price.. Same goes for many 100's and A6's in this market.

I drive a VW golf here and yes I have hassles with parts and hassles with getting people to even look at things (airco was a problem) plus I think many Euro cars are under AC'ed for this climate..

Also the VAG is represented here on Phuket by the worst main dealer service centre I have ever had the miss fortune to meet, complete ######wits who can never do a job on time, get parts even months after they take the money for them (wont order otherwise) and in general have been a nightmare. I have now found a good backstreet mechanic who seems to be able to get everything required from BKK in a fraction of the time and money.

When I look at whats in the second hand market I think theres some great deals on Euro cars and would do it again, I am more than happy with the VW.. But you have to have a good mechanic, know how to handle your own problems I would say. I wouldnt trust the main dealer here to change my oil now.

The biggest worry on imported European cars seems to be auto gearboxes. ...

Normally these Audi's are pretty cheap to acquire, since they seem to have "old man's car" imago problem, so demand is not very high considering the fact that "imago" is probably the most decisive factor in buying a car in Thailand :o

When I look at whats in the second hand market I think theres some great deals on Euro cars and would do it again, I am more than happy with the VW.. But you have to have a good mechanic, know how to handle your own problems I would say.

Reading these posts, and info elsewhere that the popular (Toyotas, hondas, etc) cars hold their value well, it seems that a european car is undoubtedly better value if one is buying 2nd hand. And with is a good mechanic available, or if the car is not too old, these would be the cars to buy. Are the solid brands, not more than a few years old, available in any numbers on the market? Where or which publications would one look to quickly ge an idea of prices? Is the depreciation for the european cars at a higher rate than in europe - enough to remove most of the initial high taxation imposed on the new price?

For these and/or further reasons would you advise anyone without the image consideration and looking for a 2nd hand car to put the money available to buying a european over a conventional, thai assembled make?

be careful with that A4 they are known to have transmission problems, but the good thing is, if someone has already had the headache of fixing it (correctly) the problem will be gone...

right now im trying to decide between a used benz 300e or a new nissan navara...so we're kinda in the same boat....

The biggest worry on imported European cars seems to be auto gearboxes. ...

When I look at whats in the second hand market I think theres some great deals on Euro cars and would do it again, I am more than happy with the VW.. But you have to have a good mechanic, know how to handle your own problems I would say.

Reading these posts, and info elsewhere that the popular (Toyotas, hondas, etc) cars hold their value well, it seems that a european car is undoubtedly better value if one is buying 2nd hand. And with is a good mechanic available, or if the car is not too old, these would be the cars to buy. Are the solid brands, not more than a few years old, available in any numbers on the market? Where or which publications would one look to quickly ge an idea of prices? Is the depreciation for the european cars at a higher rate than in europe - enough to remove most of the initial high taxation imposed on the new price?

For these and/or further reasons would you advise anyone without the image consideration and looking for a 2nd hand car to put the money available to buying a european over a conventional, thai assembled make?

For prices the one2car.com site and many others (thaicar ?? ) all have a good selection.. Still more expensive than Euro prices but they drop faster than asian ones due to Thais not liking them.

I had a Audi 100 years back and it was a really tough beastie.. I would happily drive a 100 late model or A6 early which are often there in the under 250k range.. Compare that to what you got for a 525 which is pure dogs at that money and I know which wins for me.

a used (1995) Audi A4, it only has 65K on the clock

Hmm..

Let me guess: grandma drove it to the temple on Sundays?

:D

unless you know really well the whole story of the vehicle, you're heading into a lot of trouble.

good luck! :o

Hello :o

I would advise against it. I myself got a '94 Volvo 460 in 2002 for 300.000 Baht with then 81.000 Kilometers on the clock. By now it has 135.000, did cost well over 120.000 in repairs, and is worth (if i would sell it to a dealer) maybe 85.000 Baht!

For european cars you mostly need original spare parts which are expensive as hel_l - because unlike for japanese brand cars, you won't easily get "copy" spare parts that are made locally. Plus the "old car = cheap second hand parts" is a myth, at least for a Volvo 460 - spent a whole day sifting thru some huge car-wrecking area on Bangna-Trat (hundreds of shops that sell second-hand car parts) trying to find a headlight - NO HAVE! And Volvo wants 6.000 Baht for a single one, fresh imported from the Netherlands! (even tough it's a "swedish" car and the headlights are from "Hella" and "Made in Germany").

Most european cars are not really made for asian conditions - heat, humidity. I've had more breakdowns caused by faults in the elctric system due to contact corrosion than anything, and these sh!tpieces just refuse to run if there's some teensy electrical connector fallen off somewhere! The aircon in that car sucks balls too, no regulation for it ("on" or "off", that's it) and when it's "on" it causes the radiator fan to run at highest speed all the time - i'm on the third fan and fourth set of fan relays now. The starter has been refurbished once and completely replaced twice, i'm on the third battery (but ok, all car batteries in Thailand seem to last 6 days longer than their warranty before they rather suddenly expire), the power steering unit had to be replaced twice and the garage had it's fun for five days (!) trying to find some mystic fault with the injection system. ABS has been fixed twice and broken again, this time leave it broken - ABS is for folks who can't drive anyway. Oh and did i mention that it burns just a *little* less gas than a "Proton" carrier rocket?

My next car, if any, will be a Diesel Pickup where i don't want to see any other electrics than the starter, lights and the radio. Preferrably 25 years old minimum - those last for ever.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Electronic causes a lot of troubles, but it's simular like the mobilephones. the simple ones who cost 1500 Baht they have absolutely no options, no MP3, no micro chip, no camera, etc. So nothing can go wrong, because there is nothing. The expensive one for more then 10'000 Baht have many troubles, software problems, camera broken if it fall down to the floor. etc. Simular with a car. A simple Toyota soluna, no engine management system, no airbags, no ABS brakes, maybe not even elevtric windows, etc. All this things can not go wrong, because those options aren't in the car. So no problem but w very simple car, no fun and no safety at all. Audy A4, 2.4 litre for example. Fully loaded, board computer airbags, electronic more and more, More electronic, more can causes troubles. Mostly peaple cares about accidents ar repaint job. I think thats not the main thing anymore. Did you ever ask the cardealer if the car was flouted? Bodyrepair everyone can repair. A car wich was under water, not compleatly, but maybe just the boardcomputer. no body can repair. There is the thing Make sure the car never was in a flouted area. I think if you buy a used car, it's more important to inspect the floor carped instead of the bumbers for repaintwork. Anyway Europecars are much advanced than Japanerse cars therefore more electronic and more things can go wrong. But Europe or US cars are more safety. Look a simple Chrysler Neon 97 is equipped with 2 airbags and 4 ABS brakes, and cost below 200'000 Baht if you get a good one. Don't buy the bad one for 90'000 Baht. There is where you get in troubles. You get what you pay for. So compare: Most of the 97 japanese cars, doen't matter if it's a pick up or a sedan, have not even one air bag and of corse no ABS. So don't safe money at the wrong way. Sure Europe and US cars are more exzpensive for maintenance, but you get safety and luxury and you drive in style, and same as somone already mentioned: Nobody steal your car.

I was down at the wrecking area in those shops last week looking for some audi a4 bits.Absolutely bugger all.They cater for BMW/Merc well.I reckon your best bet on parts would be to buy them off ebay.co.uk and have them sent over,presuming they are not too heavy.

I wouldn't say that spare parts for a Nissan are cheap. I wanted a hard plastic window securing clip and was quoted more than what it would cost in the UK. I repaired the old one.

Whatever you buy I would counsel finding a well equipped garage, talk to the foreman and insist that he attends to your requirements personally. I did this and on every visit I tip him 200 baht. I never have to wait and have driven my second hand truck for 120,000 klicks without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Traditionally, part of the lure of a Mercedes or BMW was that they never break, they go forever. In fact, that is more true now for Toyotas and Nissans. Thanh has mentioned the electrical problems; the old fashioned mechanic back home said that was the biggest problem. Everything is a computer chip nowadays.

I laughed at the mention of cars not having electric windows. My 1997 Nissan NV doesn't!

Anyway Europecars are much advanced than Japanerse cars therefore more electronic and more things can go wrong.

oh really?

i would have thought the japnaes were getting pretty advanced themselves

Anyway Europecars are much advanced than Japanerse cars therefore more electronic and more things can go wrong.

oh really?

i would have thought the japnaes were getting pretty advanced themselves

And demonstrably more reliable too. The fact is that wherever they are given a reasonably open - and open-minded - market they trounce the european and american cars in sales; and in most reliability surveys they outperform the competition. In countries like France and Italy they are still in the small minority - but I would guess that's because of tariffs, quotas and also local chauvinism.

• 2 weeks later...