Fragile Banking

Photoguy21

On 12/24/2023 at 11:29 AM, JayClay said:

It's highly probable that the person you spoke to (being counter staff, as opposed to qualified system technicians...) didn't have all the details

Yes this, to a lot of people the words, pc, computer, server, email and internet mean all the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/24/2023 at 8:42 AM, Photoguy21 said:

I deal with network policies in my work and what the bank has is what an amateur would provide. What do you do in networking?

You know nothing about the setup of the IT environment of banks. You use the very limited knowledge of somebody at the counter to assume a ridiculous situation.

Before you ask, I have been a software engineer when i started in IT 40 years ago and now head of project management at an IT service company which has customers worldwide (including banks).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, JayClay said:

0 is equivalent to 1, is it?

And you're dishing out network policy advice???

It's a way of talking about the need for redundancy.

The whole saying is:

Two is one and one is none.

It's a common meme in critical application technology.

Everything online in Thailand is poorly coded, fragile, and held together by string and brown paper.  Most of the time it does not work.

Like most other issues in Thailand, the root cause here is corruption.

Contracts to install hardware, code architecture and maintain the systems are never EVER given to those who are most compentent.  They are awarded to friends, family and those who are willing to pay.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Everything online in Thailand is poorly coded, fragile, and held together by string and brown paper.  Most of the time it does not work.

Contracts to install hardware, code architecture and maintain the systems are never EVER given to those who are most compentent.  They are awarded to friends, family and those who are willing to pay.

They have limited functionality and fairly brutal guard rails. Was trying to use the SCB App for the missus to transfer money to a set-up account but gave up in the end. And when you finally go into the branch to get help I have to get mildly angry at trying to get them to STOP SELLING FRICKING INSURANCE WHICH WE DON'T NEED !

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/25/2023 at 12:32 PM, Moonlover said:

Krungsri's App, the only one I use here is excellent and very reliable. I very rarely visit the on-line site nowadays. The only transaction I was unable to do with the app was pay my True Move account, but they've even fixed that now.

The Kasikorn bank app is also excellent, as are their phone support lines.  I rarely use the physical banks but whenever I have the staff have been very helpful.  

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

If only you knew how many data breaches there where in your home country every month.

On 12/23/2023 at 4:06 PM, Photoguy21 said:

Today I went to the local branch of my bank and was told they couldn't open at the normal time as the server was down. This was a surprise that a bank would have, at any branch, a single server. This attitude of a single server at the branch is ridiculous. With it down and out of service nothing could be done. No payments into the bank and withdrawals. For me this is the first time I have heard of a bank with such a flimsy setup. It is hardly surprising that people complain about the overall service they sometimes receive when shoe string installations are the norm. This same bank incidentally has an ATM machine in the area which is out of receipts and has been for at least 2 month. Says a lot for the maintenance of the system.

Where is the crying emoji when you need one. Sad, just isn't appropriate. 

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The person to whom it was addressed understood it. That's all that matters.

So what does TroubleandGrumpy think it means please?

Possibly 'Am I bad' ?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Name of the bank - if it is onw of the big opnes that would be surprising - BKK, Kasikorn, SCB, Krungsri?

I wont do that as here in Thailand it is not looked on the same as elsewhere in the world and i don't want to give myself a problem.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/27/2023 at 8:06 AM, Iron Tongue said:

Why would you even bother believing whatever this person says?

When visiting a bank and hearing "The server is down", I would just assume that:

1. There is a technical issue that is preventing the bank from operating as usual; and

2. the person behind the counter knows little more than what he/she has been told; and

3.  that I should in no way trust the technical expertise of this person.

4.  And you will never be told the truth.

It would be up there with believing when the air crew on a plane says that they are "experiencing a technical difficulty, but will be departing shortly"

As a business that runs on security having a single server with no back up is not a clever idea.

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2023 at 10:17 AM, fondue zoo said:

Yes this, to a lot of people the words, pc, computer, server, email and internet mean all the same thing.

Possibly that was the reason but they could not accept any payments, transfers etc so I would guess it was a server problem.

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, timendres said:

Recently went to Bangkok Bank branch on Sukhumvit in Bangkok.

This is the computer the person helping me was using:

image.thumb.jpeg.74899eaa61c9e84c53dab61a7e5bcf56.jpeg

I have not seen a 3.5 floppy drive in over a decade.

Older 7/11 ATM reboots, up comes Windows XP for the win.

I've found two nearby, BB and KK

• Agree 1

Just now, fondue zoo said:

Older 7/11 ATM reboots, up comes Windows XP for the win.

I've found two nearby, BB and KK

The software is way out of date and you would think a bank would automatically upgrade for security if nothing else or use a Linux based system