VFS UK Visitor Visa Application Processing Time, Appointment Availability

What are the current processing times, appointment availability, for UK visitor visa applications through VFS?

It's a long time since we've had to deal with VFS, the wife's last 5 year visa expired during COVID and not we've had reason to renew. However, I do want to take our granddaughter on a trip to the UK next year, so need to apply for a standard visa for the granddaughter, and a new 5 year visa for the wife. I know I can apply up to 3 months prior to travel. We'd be going for about 4 weeks during the main school holiday, granddaughter is 13, I would be funding the trip and we'd be staying at my house in the UK.

For the visa do I need a letter from the parents permitting us to take their daughter out of the country? I know we need it for Thai immigration but do VFS need anything similar?

I read somewhere that you can no longer save your application and return to complete later is that correct?

This year (2023) I  paid for a 10 year visa for my wife ( not legally married).

Last year (2022) she applied and got a one year Visa.

No information was retained from 2022, she had to start all over again.

All that was required was a letter from me stating that I would take full responsibility for maintaining her financially whilst in the UK, including a return flight ticket. And that we will be staying with my daughter.

There was no problem with waiting etc.

For Canada on the other hand they required a Sponsor’s letter from a Canadian which my niece provided.

The appointment date was long and we wanted to travel sooner. So my wife contacted an agent and got advice on how to get an earlier appointment, which she did and no problem.

Based upon my experience you shouldn’t have to worry.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2023 at 12:24 AM, Tazmo said:

This year (2023) I  paid for a 10 year visa for my wife ( not legally married).

Last year (2022) she applied and got a one year Visa.

No information was retained from 2022, she had to start all over again.

All that was required was a letter from me stating that I would take full responsibility for maintaining her financially whilst in the UK, including a return flight ticket. And that we will be staying with my daughter.

There was no problem with waiting etc.

For Canada on the other hand they required a Sponsor’s letter from a Canadian which my niece provided.

The appointment date was long and we wanted to travel sooner. So my wife contacted an agent and got advice on how to get an earlier appointment, which she did and no problem.

Based upon my experience you shouldn’t have to worry.

Thanks. My wife has had 1 x single, 2x 2 year and the most recent a 5 year. I was contemplating a 10 year this time around, though it's a fair chunk of change. Previously I've supplied a stack of paperwork; marriage certificate, the chanote for the house, old passports, my bank statements, letter from my then employer, covering letter saying I was paying and we were staying at my property in the UK. Are you suggesting I could dispense with that and just make do with marriage certificate and covering letter?

On 12/29/2023 at 12:42 AM, Tony M said:

Submitted on 15th December, and back yesterday (28th december).

Thanks. How available are the appointment slots for the biometrics?

On 1/16/2024 at 3:57 PM, JacksRiVe said:

For VFS UK Visitor Visa, processing times vary, but it's advisable to check directly on the official website for the most accurate info. Regarding appointments, booking early increases your chances.

Waffle 

The processing times for a standard visitor visa rarely "vary".

VfS will advise 15 working days as their standard processing time but a decision is usually made within a couple of weeks.

As far as appointments are concerned there is always a premium slot available - and you can walk in if you are prepared to pay for the privilege. For free appointments there is usually something available up to a week ahead.

We've postponed our UK trip until next year, I received a work offer I couldn't refuse. Still unsure as to how much paperwork is actually essential for the application given the wife has had visas granted previously. 

43 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Still unsure as to how much paperwork is actually essential for the application given the wife has had visas granted previously. 

I submitted 4 pieces of paper in support of the application for my missus.

My sponsor letter

My bank statement

My P60

Translated copy of a chanote (probably unnecessary)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

My sponsor letter

My bank statement

My P60

I usually go overboard. Last visa we applied for was granted but unused due to Covid hitting. Hopefully, that in itself will be a positive when we submit a new visa application later this year. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

My sponsor letter

My bank statement

My P60

That's pretty similar to what I've given before (8 years ago) for the wife's last 5 year visa

• My sponsor letter explaining trip and that I was covering costs
  • My bank statement (6 months)
  • Letter from my then employer in Indonesia
  • Marriage certificate
  • Chanote for house

Last two untranslated as it was VFS Thailand doing the vetting.

I'm now semi-retired so there will be no letter from an employer.

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

That's pretty similar to what I've given before (8 years ago) for the wife's last 5 year visa

• My sponsor letter explaining trip and that I was covering costs
  • My bank statement (6 months)
  • Letter from my then employer in Indonesia
  • Marriage certificate
  • Chanote for house

Last two untranslated as it was VFS Thailand doing the vetting.

I'm now semi-retired so there will be no letter from an employer.

That's enough 

VfS don't do any vetting (unless you are buying a premium service), everything is submitted online.

It is stated that any documents in Thai should be translated (an Indian ECO sitting in New Delhi probably can't read Thai).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It is stated that any documents in Thai should be translated (an Indian ECO sitting in New Delhi probably can't read Thai).

That's the change from  8 years ago. Now you have to upload the documents to India, last time we just took them with us.

If our granddaughter comes with us, does her application still go on my wife's application as she's a minor, or is everything replicated again in a separate application?

23 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I usually go overboard. Last visa we applied for was granted but unused due to Covid hitting. Hopefully, that in itself will be a positive when we submit a new visa application later this year. 

Unfortunately it will have no bearing whatsoever. "each application is judged individually on it's merits".

Obviously, the previous granting of a visa (used or not) is a very positive factor.

Less is more with supporting paperwork. Make the ECO's job easy 

You only need to have satisfactory evidence to support:-

Genuineness of relationship/reason to visit.

Financial adequacy.

Reasons for the applicant to return to Thailand

The last one is a little bit woolly but you need to satisfy the ECO that "on the balance of probability" the applicant will return to Thailand at the end of their visit. Land/property ownership and strong family ties are main positive factors; also returning to a job 

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

That's the change from  8 years ago. Now you have to upload the documents to India, last time we just took them with us.

If our granddaughter comes with us, does her application still go on my wife's application as she's a minor, or is everything replicated again in a separate application?

I believe that every application is individual....but there will obviously be a lit of cross referencing to the parent/grandparent.

They need their own passport, so they need their own visa in it. Another £120 unfortunately :saai:

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Unfortunately it will have no bearing whatsoever. "each application is judged individually on it's merits".

Obviously, the previous granting of a visa (used or not) is a very positive factor.

Less is more with supporting paperwork. Make the ECO's job easy 

You only need to have satisfactory evidence to support:-

Genuineness of relationship/reason to visit.

Financial adequacy.

Reasons for the applicant to return to Thailand

The last one is a little bit woolly but you need to satisfy the ECO that "on the balance of probability" the applicant will return to Thailand at the end of their visit. Land/property ownership and strong family ties are main positive factors; also returning to a job 

In my case, the last one is not that difficult. I have lived here for 41 years, we've been married for nearly 7 years and we jointly own property here. 

49 minutes ago, GarryP said:

In my case, the last one is not that difficult. I have lived here for 41 years, we've been married for nearly 7 years and we jointly own property here. 

The application is not about you. With all due respect you are irrelevant :saai:.....except for your role as sponsor. 

Is it a condo that you jointly own? 

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

They need their own passport, so they need their own visa in it. Another £120 unfortunately :saai:

I realise that, but previously the application form had space for dependants travelling with. So they got their own visa in their own passport but their application was dependant on the parent/guardian so only one application form.

14 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I realise that, but previously the application form had space for dependants travelling with. So they got their own visa in their own passport but their application was dependant on the parent/guardian so only one application form.

I don't believe that there ever was 'one application form'. One person, one application.

But I have been wrong before and will stand corrected.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

The application is not about you. With all due respect you are irrelevant :saai:.....except for your role as sponsor. 

Is it a condo that you jointly own? 

Two houses and land. 

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Two houses and land. 

OK.....my obvious next comment is "how do you think you own them".

Apologies @GarryP I am not trying to interrogate you, just establishing the facts. As far as I was aware you cannot own anything (condo excepted) jointly or any other way. -  have I missed something? (it wouldn't be the first time)...

Edited by hotandsticky

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

OK.....my obvious next comment is "how do you think you own them".

Apologies @GarryP I am not trying to interrogate you, just establishing the facts. As far as I was aware you cannot own anything (condo excepted) jointly or any other way. -  have I missed something? (it wouldn't be the first time)...

I got Thai citizenship in early 2016 and we bought them as joint owners. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Thanks 1