Agoda charges 51-80 % commission

arick

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Although sometimes the booking websites add extras like tax and booking fees and sometimes booking websites offer cheaper prices and then they don't offer free breakfast , I found found that the prices are similar 

Indeed. The rates are usually about if not exactly the same. 

It is something of a conundrum in that people that use the sites drive the hotel's costs and room prices up, but the extra competition keeps the hotel margins down and price (perhaps) lower than they would otherwise be. 

If I had to bet, I bet it help the small operators with the bookings but hurts the margin quite a bit.

Agoda has a global audience but focuses on Asia, with a great response in Malaysia, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines.

• Founded: 2005 (Thailand)
  • Short term rental properties: 2 million+
  • Commission: 15% per booking
  • Booking.com have various rates if they collect payments for you in Thailand it's 17.2% you can choose to pay more commission for more exposure, 
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2023 at 8:10 PM, ELL said:

Check you RATE channels discount and make all inactive or postpone. They add all stack discount for all.. by the end you get nothing. Also be careful when you have own promotion and agoda promotion.. they stack all as well.. aslo if you have sponsored listing etc... Check your booking from agada you will see what they add,,

Agoda has always been notorious for adding this and that to the room price first mentioned.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yesterday I booked an hotel room with booking.com. Paid with my Bkk Bank debit card for a better rate, and received a confirmation email in minutes. The payment had been taken from my bank, as I had expected.

Later I got an email, pretending to be from booking.com, saying that my card had been declined and I should click on a link showing. It was in my junk box and showed a fictitious sending address. I deleted it immediately.

NEVER open an attachment or open a link in ANY email you do not know is 100% kosher, or they will be emptying your bank account with your card details.

Got similar emails this morning from Amazon? and PayPal? I wonder if booking.com has got a leak.

A few months back BDC had major problems with their payment system many host were not getting paid, they owed us about 5000 baht eventually we got paid and they sent us $55 cash gift, 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Agoda has always been notorious for adding this and that to the room price first mentioned.

The booking.com I just mentioned said Bht 695 0n the website, and that's what I paid.

Very close to the airport for when I come back to Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

A few months back BDC had major problems with their payment system many host were not getting paid, they owed us about 5000 baht eventually we got paid and they sent us $55 cash gift, 

Who is BDC please?

Hate these TLAs.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

It's a big problem with the OTA industry the price advertised is not always the price you pay, most of these sites allow the Host to add additional fee's and you as the guest are not aware until you book, To some of the major hotel groups it's what they call up selling check out some of the mad things they will charge extra for like Valet parking, 

In the last 12 months Airbnb have tried to address this problem so before you book you are aware of any additional fee's not added afterwards, 

The biggest problem I have seen over the year many guest do not read the full listing and what additional cost, such as cleaning fee, pet fee, electricity not included, 

On 12/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, arick said:

Are there any owners of hotels or owners of individually I'm having a shocking result that a agoda.

Is charging in the minimum region of 51% up to 100% in my bookings I'm just curious how many other people are doing that booking.com has no problem they have 18% flat rate but every time I get a booking with a agoda.com they are charging 50-to 100 % commission to the owner 

You're reading the wrong things. Agoda charge between 10 and 30 per cent commission - much the same as all the others. If they were to charge the absurd rates you suggest, no hotel would go anywhere near them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

The booking.com I just mentioned said Bht 695 0n the website, and that's what I paid.

Very close to the airport for when I come back to Thailand.

WHO can put a Confused emoji on this, and why?

And another. There are some thickies on this forum, or trolls.

At least on 'the other forum' you can see who is putting the emojis, as it used to be on here.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2023 at 7:59 PM, arick said:

Are there any owners of hotels or owners of individually I'm having a shocking result that a agoda.

Is charging in the minimum region of 51% up to 100% in my bookings I'm just curious how many other people are doing that booking.com has no problem they have 18% flat rate but every time I get a booking with a agoda.com they are charging 50-to 100 % commission to the owner 

That's a big commission for a crappy booking site.  I rarely use Agoda, and can't think of the last time I did ... 10+ yrs at least.  I rarely go there for info any more.

Gmap & Booking.com for info.  Can't remember last time I used a booking site, aside from Accor, since covid, so 3 yrs.  Only use Accor because Ibis & Mercure are under their umbrella of accommodations, and no prepayment required.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I've used agoda in th a lot.  Never been able ro book at hotel for less.  Had wife call but nope.    Been in at least 2 lobbies and had staff tell me best price is to book on agoda.  I had one receptionist tell me if agoda finds out they sell for less agoda will drop them.   So i guess these gorillas have found a way to make 17-30% on much of the lodging industry.  So we all pay higher lodging prices for this if we use it or not. 

Our experience has been different, and wife usually gets a cheaper rate, or at least same rate.  Even though hotels/guesthouses are listed on Booking.com or Agoda.  That's been consistent, at least the last 5 ish years.

Only difference is Ibis chain on Accor site, and all seem to be about same price as B.com.  Since no prepayment and day before cancelling, always go with Accor.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always found Agoda cheap for an emergency booking.  I've never experienced high commission rates.  

Hotels.com I've experienced huge booking fees as your experiencing on Agoda. 

In the end it's usually better to book directly with the hotel.  Using Agoda.co, Booking.com,etc as just a guide.

• Thumbs Up 1

with a agoda.com they are charging 50-to 100 % commission to the owner 

You're saying that, at the top of the commission range, the owners of those properties do not make any money at all from the bookings?   100% is the entire booking cost.    How can that be?  

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ah, that must be it, lots and lots of "0 money" soon adds up...to exactly "0 money".  

It's a manufacturing joke.

But because the hotel is losing money, it's not zero, it would add up to a bigger and bigger loss with each booking. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ah, that must be it, lots and lots of "0 money" soon adds up...to exactly "0 money".  

It's a manufacturing joke.

But because the hotel is losing money, it's not zero, it would add up to a bigger and bigger loss with each booking. 

The hotel that is being charged 100% commission wouldn't be losing money on the booking, it just wouldn't be making any so it would remain at zero!   Having said that, it will never happen as the 100% commission claim is, obviously, false.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Even if you not click stackable discount, they stuck themself without your approval. Very bad customer support, after many request they cannot answer why from retail price 2500 baht i get only 150...  What is work , try to contact support and ask to delete all programs, promotion, rates channels etc.. ALL , keep only retail rate. After slowly add your own promotions only and not participate in any campaigns or promotions from Agoda.. If you want to be visible in your city just add Sponsored listing  ( 5-12 % extra discount only on booking ) and you will be always in first page of Agoda in your city. I agree that booking or Expedia have fixed discount and never had any problem with them . but many customers in Asia use Agoda so you mast use them as well , unfortunately.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Our experience has been different, and wife usually gets a cheaper rate, or at least same rate.  Even though hotels/guesthouses are listed on Booking.com or Agoda.  That's been consistent, at least the last 5 ish years.

Only difference is Ibis chain on Accor site, and all seem to be about same price as B.com.  Since no prepayment and day before cancelling, always go with Accor.

Of course she does because that's what she tells you, right?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The hotel that is being charged 100% commission wouldn't be losing money on the booking, it just wouldn't be making any so it would remain at zero!

What are you, a college professor? They don't lose money on the booking, they lose money fulfilling the booking. An occupied room costs the more than a vacant room, for a number of reasons. 

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Having said that, it will never happen as the 100% commission claim is, obviously, false.

One would hope

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

This kind of posts are called Fake News!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1