Agoda charges 51-80 % commission

arick

8 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I have given up booking with Agoda after many years and regular bookings.

The reason I have stopped is they no longer provide an email address for assistance, help, or answers to questions.

Seems no way of contacting them now, so goodbye Agoda and Booking,com (Same company)

I have noticed this with so many organisations and customer 'care' has frequently  become something they seek to avoid.  They will no longer respond to an email and give a phone number which, if answered, will send you into a automatated process which may not offer the option you want anyway..

'Please hold on.  Your call is important to us.' Hahaha.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Everyone scouring the internet for the lowest possible room-rates or whatnot and then moaning about the poor service.

Book direct with the hotel. They answer the phone and are generally helpful. 

If they all offered honest pricing I would.  I never needed Agoda in the past.  Since they do exist I have gone to hotel desks as a walk in customer and sometimes been shown prices 300% higher than I have just been looking at online.

If they offered the same price I can see online they could keep the 17% commission for themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, greeneking said:

If they all offered honest pricing I would.  I never needed Agoda in the past.  Since they do exist I have gone to hotel desks as a walk in customer and sometimes been shown prices 300% higher than I have just been looking at online.

If they offered the same price I can see online they could keep the 17% commission for themselves.

Right. 

What did you do, drag your bags from the airport and walk door to door? It's hard to imagine a situation where I would walk into a hotel and attempt to book a room. When I was single maybe....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Right. 

What did you do, drag your bags from the airport and walk door to door? It's hard to imagine a situation where I would walk into a hotel and attempt to book a room. When I was single maybe....

Why on earth not?  It's what people used to do...still do.  Like the look of a place, walk in and ask how much.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, greeneking said:

Why on earth not?  It's what people used to do...still do.  Like the look of a place, walk in and ask how much.

Oh yeah, like when Motel 6 was six dollars a night and you just looked for one with the vacancy sign on...

I did that a lot back when I was a carnie, I could just pack my pockets and go. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Oh yeah, like when Motel 6 was six dollars a night and you just looked for one with the vacancy sign on...

I did that a lot back when I was a carnie, I could just pack my pockets and go. 

You just want a pointless argument. Bye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's a big problem with the OTA industry the price advertised is not always the price you pay, most of these sites allow the Host to add additional fee's and you as the guest are not aware until you book, To some of the major hotel groups it's what they call up selling check out some of the mad things they will charge extra for like Valet parking, 

In the last 12 months Airbnb have tried to address this problem so before you book you are aware of any additional fee's not added afterwards, 

The biggest problem I have seen over the year many guest do not read the full listing and what additional cost, such as cleaning fee, pet fee, electricity not included, 

*fees

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Online booking websites have always been notorious for being used by the clueless.

But in many cases we clueless have no choice. Even the hotels' own websites lead to the online sites.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But in many cases we clueless have no choice. Even the hotels' own websites lead to the online sites.

What do you mean "we" clueless?

If it's all too challenging, get your missus to book like @KhunLA does.

Better still (or if you're single), get his missus to do it for you? Apparently, you'll get a better rate.

• Sad 2

On 12/28/2023 at 9:35 PM, arick said:

Can you read my post I guess not ... 

Common problem on this forum, see a few words and they jump to conclusions. You need to use the simplest language possible to point out which direction you are coming from, but not that easy.

When I booked my quarantine it was 2 weeks at the time, before I returned the government reduced it to 1 week but Agoda refused to refund the difference. It took a chargeback to get the refund which was a bit of a struggle. The girl at the hotel did what she could to help and said Agoda was terrible to deal with taking too much with little in return.

In the UK we say "at least Dick Turpin wore a mask".

On 12/27/2023 at 7:59 PM, arick said:

Are there any owners of hotels or owners of individually I'm having a shocking result that a agoda.

Is charging in the minimum region of 51% up to 100% in my bookings I'm just curious how many other people are doing that booking.com has no problem they have 18% flat rate but every time I get a booking with a agoda.com they are charging 50-to 100 % commission to the owner 

Did you even read your post... try to make more sense... that emoji that everyone is clicking is "confusion" 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What do you mean "we" clueless?

If it's all too challenging, get your missus to book like @KhunLA does.

Better still (or if you're single), get his missus to do it for you? Apparently, you'll get a better rate.

It was you who said that it was clueless people who used online booking sites. 

As I, and others have said, many hotels quote the same price directly as booking.com etc, and even advise you to use them.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The booking.com I just mentioned said Bht 695 0n the website, and that's what I paid.

All depends on where the property is located and country where you have the bank/card.

Booking.com will list properties in any currency you choose but the bill will be in the local currency and that will be coverted if necessary by the bank concerned.

If I book in the UK I will use HSBC but for other countries I use Wise to avoid the non sterling transaction fee. My wife usually pays for hotels in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, greeneking said:

So easy isn't it, particularly when you have never been there before.

As for going for one night then trawling around, been there and done it but you grow out of it.

26 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

As I, and others have said, many hotels quote the same price directly as booking.com etc, and even advise you to use them.

For info & booking ease, booking.com is great, especially if you don't have a Thai wife/GF.   

A few times I've 'walked in' quoted the lower booking.com price, and they wouldn't give it to us, actually sat in lobby & booked online for the better rate.   Strange, but true.

Most times the wife gets a better or same rate.   Since we travel unplanned, it works for us.   No prepaying or lack of ability to cancel, as usually booked day off or night before.  Not until we know we'll be there, usually just "do you have room, cya soon"

Since having a dog, it is/was more to verify the dog policy, and while doing so, started getting prices lower or matching booking sites.

Hmm ... no need to use them any more.  

Pretty sure if I did the calling, probably different price, or referred to booking site.   Wife does a lot of prep, for our O&As, and time consuming, along with saving a few baht, but most important, no surprises when we show up.

... sorry, we don't take dogs, no refund

... sorry, only 5 kg limit, no refund

... I'm sorry, only the expensive rooms

... I'm sorry, dog has to be in cage

... I'm sorry, dog charge is XXX, (almost the price of the room)

All true answers to queries.

Edited by KhunLA

On 12/27/2023 at 7:59 PM, arick said:

Are there any owners of hotels or owners of individually I'm having a shocking result that a agoda.

Is charging in the minimum region of 51% up to 100% in my bookings I'm just curious how many other people are doing that booking.com has no problem they have 18% flat rate but every time I get a booking with a agoda.com they are charging 50-to 100 % commission to the owner 

Not sure where your seeing that. I've used agoda for years and never any issues like that. I've spoken with owners about those commissions and if cheaper to book direct and its seldom much different per the ones I've talked to 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

He's a hotel owner complaining about the commissions Agoda charges him when people use Agoda to book his hotel. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

He's a hotel owner complaining about the commissions Agoda charges him when people use Agoda to book his hotel. 

I know, I read that and I was relaying my experience in speaking with owners about the commissions charged . Try to keep up 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not really appropriate to this forum then.

OPs English did seem a bit odd.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I know, I read that and I was relaying my experience in speaking with owners about the commissions charged . Try to keep up 

Yeah, I thought that was a hoot. What kind of dumps does one have to stay in that they would be talking to the owner to negotiate a lower price? 

Was that one of your many walk-ins? 

• Haha 1

Commissions charged are to owners / Hosts are nothing to ask about as Agoda are open with what they charge .

I avoid using Agoda as they are slow to pay out money owing . Airbnb send payment within 24 hours of the guest arrival . . Agoda pay out at least a week and often longer after the guest has checked out .

Airbnb are a better company to deal with regarding all aspects of hosting guests in my opinion . 

That said the price that Airbnb is charging for there service to the guests has increased considerably the last 18 months .

Yet we still have a good occupancy rate thanks to Airbnb .

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

Commissions charged are to owners / Hosts are nothing to ask about as Agoda are open with what they charge .

I avoid using Agoda as they are slow to pay out money owing . Airbnb send payment within 24 hours of the guest arrival . . Agoda pay out at least a week and often longer after the guest has checked out .

Airbnb are a better company to deal with regarding all aspects of hosting guests in my opinion . 

That said the price that Airbnb is charging for there service to the guests has increased considerably the last 18 months .

Yet we still have a good occupancy rate thanks to Airbnb .

I think booking.com has to be the worst, 10 days after the guest has checked out,