Man's razor with a "rigid" head.

5davidhen1

I can't abide all these new-fangled razors which "blend with the contours of your face."

Year's ago, Tesco (UK) made/sold a cheap 2 or 3 blade razor with a rigid head, but unfortunately it seems to have been discontinued. Whilst I suffer from shaky hands, I am a man, and am perfectly capable of holding the razor in a way which suits my shaving fashion.

Unfortunately, all razors, with varying numbers of extra heads, are packaged in such a manner as to be unable to determine whether their heads are indeed rigid, or "swivel." Back in the UK, most supermarket staff wouldn't have a clue as to whether a razor has, or doesn't have a rigid head. I would imagine that here in Thailand, with the "lost-in-translation" language problem, that getting an accurate answer to the question in point would be nigh on impossible.

So, to the question: Does anyone know where I can buy a man's razor with a rigid head, either here, or in the UK? The manufacture's name of said razor would be a help, even better, a picture of one.

TIA.

David.

N.B. I am only interested in the above --- NOT the old-fashioned razors with removable/replaceable blades.

30 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Gilette three-blade blue razor from 7-Eleven. 98.8% rigid as the two parts are molded separately and then assembled. But it definitely does not "swivel"

Choose wisely...  Some of them are "Flexi" models and do pivot.  Even the cheap blue disposables.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gillette-i4982424122.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gillette-blue3-flexi-21-i4877935877.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gillette-blue-ii-flexi-razor-pack-42-3-42-li6107pf-i4824067603.html

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Fully understand your problem, been looking for a Gillette G2 for a while. When ever I see multi-blade shavers always reminds me of the remake of The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin with Martin Clunes as the Project Executive in charge of disposable razers at GroomTech.

Anyway, found these in my local Family Mart / Tops. Very similar to the old G2. Doesn't swivel and no gel strip.

20231229_140539.thumb.jpg.9e7a48356f38434e4c1dbdecf916bd97.jpg

• Agree 2

Gilette blue 2 razors are available in all supermarkets, I think these are the best.

Schick razors are available in that Japanese store Tsuruha.

Mr diy has many fixed head razors with twin or triple blades.

The contour swivel head razors are usually marked on the packets.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 2

Why don't you get a straight razor? Better and cleaner shave. I use the Tondeo Sifter Classic. It uses exchangeable razorblades so you won't have to get the blade sharpened, although that would be the best. But it's an act. Also, any straight razor has a learning curve and you will cut yourself from time to time. Par for the course. It gets a lot better fairly quickly, though. The key is to apply very little pressure! The shave is second to none in my opinion. 

The regular old school shaver that Iron Tongue has posted a picture of definitely doesn't swivel. My grandfather used to have one of those.

Edited by pacovl46

On 12/29/2023 at 4:38 PM, Bobthegimp said:

If it's for your sack and nether regions it's much better to have it waxed. Get them to do your taint for an extra 50 baht. 

Best do it himself with a well-honed straight razor.

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2023 at 9:09 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

N.B. I am only interested in the above --- NOT the old-fashioned razors with removable/replaceable blades.

N.B. I am only interested in the above

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have you considered switching to one of these?  Better size, weight, control, and close shave.  No plastic to keep throwing away either.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

Why don't you get a straight razor?

On 12/29/2023 at 9:09 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

I can't abide all these new-fangled razors which "blend with the contours of your face."

Year's ago, Tesco (UK) made/sold a cheap 2 or 3 blade razor with a rigid head, but unfortunately it seems to have been discontinued. Whilst I suffer from shaky hands, I am a man, and am perfectly capable of holding the razor in a way which suits my shaving fashion.

Unfortunately, all razors, with varying numbers of extra heads, are packaged in such a manner as to be unable to determine whether their heads are indeed rigid, or "swivel." Back in the UK, most supermarket staff wouldn't have a clue as to whether a razor has, or doesn't have a rigid head. I would imagine that here in Thailand, with the "lost-in-translation" language problem, that getting an accurate answer to the question in point would be nigh on impossible.

So, to the question: Does anyone know where I can buy a man's razor with a rigid head, either here, or in the UK? The manufacture's name of said razor would be a help, even better, a picture of one.

TIA.

David.

I use "Gillette Super Thin II" long handle, which is a 2 blade rigid head which I buy from Big C. I too detest there floating heads or whatever it is they call them, always cut myself. I think as long as it doesn't mention swivel head or words to that effect on the packet, you're ok.

Edited by jesimps

On 12/29/2023 at 2:15 PM, RayWright said:

Fully understand your problem, been looking for a Gillette G2 for a while. When ever I see multi-blade shavers always reminds me of the remake of The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin with Martin Clunes as the Project Executive in charge of disposable razers at GroomTech.

Anyway, found these in my local Family Mart / Tops. Very similar to the old G2. Doesn't swivel and no gel strip.

20231229_140539.thumb.jpg.9e7a48356f38434e4c1dbdecf916bd97.jpg

I use the very same.

• Thumbs Up 1