Road safety appeal amid surge of New Year holidaymakers in Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, retarius said:

Anybody recognise this car? I've never seen one outside the US. It's called a Saturn, a failed new brand launched by General Motors a million years ago, that failed totally. It was supposed to be high quality and the US answer to Totoya quality, but it had the same poor quality as all the other GM vehicles. I suppose it shows that not only Thais fail to diagnose problems and bring out solutions that lack any sort of success. 

I don't think the photo was taken in Thailand at all

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Your placing of the word in parenthesis implies a kind of apology   There is  absolutely nothing wrong with profiling be it racial or otherwise, It makes for much more efficient law enforcement when utilised correctly

If I wish to pout something brackets, I'll do so. Don't be so petty.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, retarius said:

If I wish to pout something brackets, I'll do so. Don't be so petty.

So you were apologising,   and now you feel embarrassed,  good 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Personal anecdotes contribute nothing to the debate on road safety - they are at best just confirmation bias of incorrect information and perception.

THey say more about the ignorance of people on the subject of road safety than anything else.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:08 PM, cardinalblue said:

Thailand is forcing two separate systems of driving (cars and cycles) to share one road - it doesn’t work

You need to expain that in more detail - for instance how it could be improved, how it compares to other countries and what would your conclusion be in terms of improving road safety?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

You need to expain that in more detail - for instance how it could be improved, how it compares to other countries and what would your conclusion be in terms of improving road safety?

I'd say "confused" is the reaction that most people have with road safety in Thailand - they simply don't understand the basics.

11 hours ago, retarius said:

Anybody recognise this car? I've never seen one outside the US. It's called a Saturn, a failed new brand launched by General Motors a million years ago, that failed totally. It was supposed to be high quality and the US answer to Totoya quality, but it had the same poor quality as all the other GM vehicles. I suppose it shows that not only Thais fail to diagnose problems and bring out solutions that lack any sort of success. 

THey tried to sell in Japan, so I expect they sold here - they may even have thought about an assembly plant. But GM bought Daewoo so they wouldn't need they own piece of crap.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, peter zwart said:

Spot on. But it is not only the gouvernment that have to make sure that rules are respected but its also the complete stupidity of the brainless behind the wheel. And there are a lot of them here.

True. Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks on the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the uturn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US.

If I decide to cut you off on a highway, when you are going 120kph, and I am making a u-turn, and there was plenty of room behind for me to make a safe turn, is that an error, or pure stupidity, if it results in a horrific, fatal accident, and I take the lives of you and your family? 

Sometimes an error is wearing white after Labor day in New York City. And sometimes an error is invading Russia before the oncoming winter.

I don't make the kind of errors that result in bad accidents, much less fatalities. Why? Because I am very, very careful on the road, and very, very respectful of other drivers, their lives, and those of their families. That is a conscious choice that results in NOT making terrible mistakes, that devastate others, and my family. 

• Haha 1

This will only change when the police start acting like police.

This will mean a change in the entire countrywide system of governance.

This will only happen if the old corrupt political system changes.

Therefore, there will be many more years of people dying needlessly unfortunately.

48 minutes ago, Suua said:

They do, Yes, they do exactly what local police do, collect! To expect more is to kid yourself! :whistling:

50 minutes ago, Suua said:

Again, kidding oneself they will ever change! Why would they when they can pillage the country and get away with it! :jap:

On 12/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, Jimbo 12345 said:

You forget to mention parking on zebra crossings

They can bring in ALL the safety measures they want, If the RTP are too lazy to police them, they won't make one bit of a difference. 

There was a  time when I would  have said its dreadful.......... but what would you rather  have? The  UK  has  so many restrictions you are afraid  to fart in your  own car, personally I would rather now  have the Thai way where they give the finger to the govt over road  matters.

Wales even worse 20mph speed  limits  everywhere, the govts  plan to stop you using the car for sure over time with breathalysers  built into vehicles  also coming soon no doubt  ring fencing. Its getting worse and YOU are being suckered into the safety BS. 24hour driver monitoring.............just F  off govts.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Suua said:

This will mean a change in the entire countrywide system of governance.

Therefore, there will be many more years of people dying needlessly unfortunately.

basically you have it right about the police - it probably requires constitutional changes - as you need a courts and legal system to follow it up.

However that is only one part out of 5 facets that MUST be addressed to bring about any significant permanent changes.

8 hours ago, peter zwart said:

keep on dreaming my friend

I'm not dreaming, I base my knowledge of road safety on good scientific evidence - I don't make assumptions based on race and steretyping or one what I THINK might be happening - people are very bad at interpreting what they see and even worse at changing their minds. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 2baht said:

They do, Yes, they do exactly what local police do, collect! To expect more is to kid yourself! :whistling:

Again, kidding oneself they will ever change! Why would they when they can pillage the country and get away with it! :jap:

It is perhaps the greatest pyramid scheme in SE Asia. The RTP. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 5:39 PM, Andre0720 said:

You must be a recent visitor in Thailand.

So please seek help ASAP so you can get to understand posts about the culture in Thailand.

Oh I get it, if you live here long enough you're entitled to be as uneducated and ignorant as the average Thai driver/rider .... :wacko:

Forgive me for trying to be sensible 

On 1/16/2024 at 8:05 AM, steevjee said:

Oh I get it, if you live here long enough you're entitled to be as uneducated and ignorant as the average Thai driver/rider .... :wacko:

Forgive me for trying to be sensible 

You are forgiven..... :sleep:

On 12/29/2023 at 8:50 AM, oslooskar said:

On the other hand, there is more freedom here for the common man in his everyday life activities than there is for his peers in the United States, which is supposedly the freest country in the world but isn't. My point is that the carefree Thai way of life has made my life a lot easier and hassle-free. So, for me, I find more positives here in Thailand than negatives.

Life in a military dominated country with road deaths being one of the highest in the world?

As an immigrant you have few legal rights especially to live and work hear...how is that free?

On 1/16/2024 at 11:39 PM, kwilco said:

Life in a military dominated country with road deaths being one of the highest in the world?

As an immigrant you have few legal rights especially to live and work hear...how is that free?

There is still more freedom here for me in my everyday activities than there was in California. However, I will acknowledge that if I was accused of a crime that I would be better off in an American court than a Thai one. Also, if I was a political activist I would certainly have more freedom in the USA to speak out against my government than I would in Thailand. BUT, I am making reference to activities in my everyday life as an elderly retired expatriate. Hence, I can drive along the Beach Road in my electric cart, park my car at the curb on the Beach Road, ride in the back of my son's pickup truck, get my medications at the pharmacy without having to go through a doctor here, go fishing without a license. Also, I can walk around the city of Rayong without any fear of being victimized by criminals or confronted by aggressive panhandlers.

3 hours ago, oslooskar said:

There is still more freedom here for me in my everyday activities than there was in California. However, I will acknowledge that if I was accused of a crime that I would be better off in an American court than a Thai one. Also, if I was a political activist I would certainly have more freedom in the USA to speak out against my government than I would in Thailand. BUT, I am making reference to activities in my everyday life as an elderly retired expatriate. Hence, I can drive along the Beach Road in my electric cart, park my car at the curb on the Beach Road, ride in the back of my son's pickup truck, get my medications at the pharmacy without having to go through a doctor here, go fishing without a license. Also, I can walk around the city of Rayong without any fear of being victimized by criminals or confronted by aggressive panhandlers.

Your idea of "freedom" is naive in the extreme.

BTW since 2017 Under Thai law, the beds of pickup trucks are reserved for cargo, not humans. Everyone in a passenger vehicle must wear a seat belt. 

Parking laws are marked on the curbs in Thailand.

Rod fishing in Thailand doesn't require you to have a licence. But you need to fish only in designated fishing spots and fishing in marine reserves and national parks is subject to different government policies.  

Your definition of freedom seems to mean breaking the law and doesn't take into account the effect your actions have on others or the environment 

Edited by kwilco

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Your idea of "freedom" is naive in the extreme.

If you're going to make allegations, at least be intellectually honest enough to back them up with facts. You can start by explaining why my idea, stating that I have more freedom in my everyday activities here in Thailand than I did in California, is naive in the extreme. Mind you, I specifically mentioned, "in my everyday activities".

6 hours ago, oslooskar said:

If you're going to make allegations, at least be intellectually honest enough to back them up with facts. You can start by explaining why my idea, stating that I have more freedom in my everyday activities here in Thailand than I did in California, is naive in the extreme. Mind you, I specifically mentioned, "in my everyday activities".

Why is it that people withthe most lack of comprehension always start "sealioning" and talking about "facts" when they clearly don't know what a fact is - and I haven't made any allegations that aren't based on EVIDENCE and reason.

Edited by kwilco

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

I haven't made any allegations that aren't based on EVIDENCE and reason.

Well, then, you shouldn't have any problem articulating what that "EVIDENCE" is that your allegations are based on that my idea, stating that I have more freedom in my everyday activities here in Thailand than I did in California, is naive in the extreme. And do remember, I specifically mentioned, "in my everyday activities".

7 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Well, then, you shouldn't have any problem articulating what that "EVIDENCE" is that your allegations are based on that my idea, stating that I have more freedom in my everyday activities here in Thailand than I did in California, is naive in the extreme. And do remember, I specifically mentioned, "in my everyday activities".

As said you have no idea what freedom is. Why not get on topic and relate it to road safety?

Edited by kwilco

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

As said you have no idea what freedom is.

Given the fact that you continue to make allegations that you refuse to back up with corroborating evidence, I think we can safely conclude that you have no idea what intellectual honesty is.