Finding a tutor

Deserted

Greetings, my daughter is in Pratom 5 and falling behind in her classes at school. I am looking for a tutor who can meet her at the weekend and help her with her school work, must be a Thai person. Where do I find such people? Is there a website I should go to? What's the going rate for that sort of thing? Most tutor sites seem to be based on Engiish studies but that's not what I am looking for.

Edited by Deserted

Have you asked the school if any the teachers do extra private classes outside school.

Then they know the schools’ syllabus and maybe even your daughter. Not an option if you think the school is part of the problem.

I know a few families that have done this and it has  been successful, as the extra classes were done at their homes and can be observed, and fit in around their family life.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Deserted said:

None of the above is relevant. What I asked for is a website where such people can be found.

oh ok then. you can always try this website.....

www.google.com

have a great day hope you can sort out this issue. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Deserted said:

None of the above is relevant. What I asked for is a website where such people can be found.

Welcome to this website, where you will find people who don't read or comprehend what you ask for.

If your daughter is fluent in Thai, ask her to search the web for you. I would try Pantip or a website like that. 

13 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Have you asked the school if any the teachers do extra private classes outside school.

Then they know the schools’ syllabus and maybe even your daughter. Not an option if you think the school is part of the problem.

I know a few families that have done this and it has  been successful, as the extra classes were done at their homes and can be observed, and fit in around their family life.

Yes thanks, that's what we are planning next, seems to be the most obvious solution.

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Where are you located? Might be more productive to take her to a tutoring center. A lot of them around. 

If extra classes are the answer, I agree.

Teachers from school who teach extra classes tend to focus on teaching the students to pass the school test, that are written by the teachers themselves so they know the Q and A, rather than teaching knowledge 

The students will be taught to remember the answers in short term memory rather than retain knowledge in long term memory.

Teachers write and mark their own tests. It's no surprise that those that study the extra classes get the higher grade. Not necessarily because the got the answers right but because the teacher is earning extra cash.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/30/2023 at 3:52 AM, Deserted said:

Greetings, my daughter is in Pratom 5 and falling behind in her classes at school. I am looking for a tutor who can meet her at the weekend and help her with her school work, must be a Thai person. Where do I find such people? Is there a website I should go to? What's the going rate for that sort of thing? Most tutor sites seem to be based on Engiish studies but that's not what I am looking for.

Totally agree. Whatever it is you don't want a foreign tutor. 90% aren't even worth the 35k pm they are making. Can't emphasize enough

If you ever have wondered why Thai English is so dire look no further than their foreign 'teachers'. Bangkok is horrible, but it just gets exponentially worse as you move out.

Edited by Sluglord

1 hour ago, Sluglord said:

Totally agree. Whatever it is you don't want a foreign tutor. 90% aren't even worth the 35k pm they are making. Can't emphasize enough

If you ever have wondered why Thai English is so dire look no further than their foreign 'teachers'. Bangkok is horrible, but it just gets exponentially worse as you move out.

Most kids study English with Thai teachers an hour per day and some kids maybe learn an hour a week with a foreign teacher.

You blame the foreign teachers.

Your maths teachers must have been s$#t. 🤣🤣🤣.

Edited by youreavinalaff

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Most kids study English with Thai teachers an hour per day and some kids maybe learn an hour a week with a foreign teacher.

You blame the foreign teachers.

Your maths teachers must have been s$#t. 🤣🤣🤣.

Guess I'm just slow. I don't get your stupid math joke. 

Guess it's that way the upcountry poors. BKK is just full of lazy, incompetent rubes. I'm sure the Thais upcountry are equally dire. I've met a few tragic Thai prathom teachers. 

In BKK the best and brightest seek out proven Thai tutors. Many with grad degrees, study overseas.

The students apparently know to stay well clear of these foreign frauds as I've never met a one that studies with a foreign tutor. They suffer enough with them in the classroom 

Edited by Sluglord

1 minute ago, Sluglord said:

Guess it's that way the upcountry poors. BKK is just full of lazy, incompetent rubes

In BKK the best and brightest seek out proven Thai tutors. Many with grad degrees, study overseas.

The students apparently know to stay well clear of these frauds as I've never met a one that studies with a foreign tutor. They suffer enough with them in the classroom 

Interesting. In my time teaching in Bangkok, the centres where there were foreign teachers were packed every evening and all day Saturday and Sunday. Waiting lists weeks long. My students, Suan Gularb, studied with foreign teachers and were always asking me to teach them.

Funny you say the situation gets worse as you leave Bangkok.

Your theory is, the further we move away from the epicentre of International schools and EPs, mostly staffed by foreign teachers, the worse the standards are. 

By that theory, the area with the most foreign teachers has the best English standards yet foreign teachers are useless and no one wants to study with them. How strange.

I guess your maths teachers are the same ones that taught you logic.

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Suan Gularb

Lol. What is a Gularb? 

What is this lol? Suankulab Wittayalai? The mediocre boys school that uses SINE and BFITS? You must have been epic to be hired by those corporations 🐵. Then you moved on to the provs. Well done. 

I've read your posts numerous times. Same old tripe.

SKL you boast about it every opportunity but it's nothing, at least it's English programs. All the boys want to leave for Mahidol Wittayasorn and Triam. The local intake is staggering. 

Yes, everything goes a bit sideways outside BKK and that's why you're such a great fit anywhere but Champ. 

Edited by Sluglord

21 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

How strange

Not so strange but I understand your simple, clouded thinking.

It's white monkey syndrome. They think they are getting help but in reality the teachers just fakes and frauds. Parents trust the language school and the tutor knows more than the kid.

If you want to gauge a shi+ teacher ... That would be anyone teaching at a language school. 

11 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

Lol. What is a Gularb? 

What is this lol? Suankulab Wittayalai? The mediocre boys school that uses SINE and BFITS? You must have been epic to be hired by those corporations 🐵. Then you moved on to the provs. Well done. 

I've read your posts numerous times. Same old tripe.

SKL you boast about it every opportunity but it's nothing, at least it's English programs. All the boys want to leave for Mahidol Wittayasorn and Triam. The local intake is staggering. 

Yes, everything goes a bit sideways outside BKK and that's why you're such a great fit anywhere but Champ. 

No. It was not agency. Contract direct with the school.

I didn't boast. It was an example.

If I wanted to boast I would have pointed out its top 5 nationally. I didn't as I didn't need to. Figures speak a lot louder than someone on a forum who clearly has issues so exaggerates.

By the way  ก = G. า = ar.

I did also teach at another highly rated school in the suburbs of Bangkok. I won't name it as as soon as I do you'll have a made up story about how bad it is. I'll keep you guessing. 😅😅

Edited by youreavinalaff

7 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Contract direct with the school.

42k You're a wizard Harry. 

Ads running all the time on ajarn. 

It's not an especially good school now, but I'll let you relish your glory days.

A good suburban school oh, please.. I'm dying 🙄😂

On 12/29/2023 at 8:52 PM, Deserted said:

Hi

I did a Google search for you in Thai and came up with this website (they also have a FB page): 

https://pattayatutor.com/

That page says they tutor for both Pratom (primary schools) and Matayom (secondary schools). They offer private lessons and group lessons (2-5 people apparently). The page has prices and times, location details and contact details, 

• Thumbs Up 1