US Stocks, 2023

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Thats funny!

Thank you, I try. 

When you look at past performance of a fund, you're not really assessing the things that a  fund invests in, all your doing is looking at how much money the fund made and when you know that, you don't know how it was made or why. The fund could have made money for any number of reasons, perhaps because it owned one stellar company that did uniquely well but it also owned ten dogs that lost money! When you consider the P/E ratio of the companies within the fund, then you begin to get an idea of the things that made the company attractive to the Fund Manager. Is P/E ratio performance data? Yes of of course, but only on the basis that every bit of data pertaining to a company is performance data!

I never said I only look the a few numbers. I use the performance numbers to sort the funds, and then pick through the ones that have done well to start shopping. 

I don't want to spend the time required to meticulously go through all of the thousands of funds out there and carefully compare them all. I want to spend a day or two after the year end, and then spend about ten minutes a week after that until next year. 

It's a question of granularity, how detailed do you want to view your investment, at the highest level (the bottom line only) of all companies in total or do you want to dig deeper to understand what why and how. Fund volatility is worth looking at, at the fund level, that's the extent to which a funds price surges and falls beyond the average which is a good measure of risk. 

I would not consider looking at the bottom-line high level.

I look at what I buy pretty carefully. I just try to minimize the number I actually have to look at, and using the historic performance sort function helps me do that. 

Personally, I want to see what I'm investing in and to do that, I need to get inside the fund and look at the detail, that way you can get a look inside the FM's head and see what he saw that made him buy what he did. When you buy a house, you don't just buy it because it looks nice from the outside, you go inside and check out each of the rooms. And you don't just buy it because the one next door made money, you look at the one you're buying to see if you want to live in it for a while.

How many of the facilities have you walked though? 

The difference between us is that you say you're graphs guy, whereas I prefer the underlying numbers and the numbers that underpin them. Do you remember Poseidon shares in 1969, you're probably too young.  They were penny stocks of an Australian mining company that found nickel deposits at a  time when nickel was in demand because of the Vietnam war. UK brokers put out graphs showing how the price would soar to 383.o and everyone piled in. It was pure speculation, there was no proof, the graphs were pretty and impressive but if any buyer would have checked things out they would have quickly seen that there was nothing to underpin that valuation. A lot of people lost a lot of money. 

The difference with us is that you seem to think I'm some kind of moron, and I think you're probably at least reasonably bright. 

I said "I'm a graphs guy" in the context of a thing on TV I thought was funny. I like graphs because I understand them, I think I pretty good with them, I used them a lot at work, and think they helped me a bit to advance through my manufacturing career. I still like them, but I generally do not use them much to make investment choices. 

Now, you go on and have a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year!

27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Thank you, I try. 

I never said I only look the a few numbers. I use the performance numbers to sort the funds, and then pick through the ones that have done well to start shopping. 

I don't want to spend the time required to meticulously go through all of the thousands of funds out there and carefully compare them all. I want to spend a day or two after the year end, and then spend about ten minutes a week after that until next year. 

I would not consider looking at the bottom-line high level.

I look at what I buy pretty carefully. I just try to minimize the number I actually have to look at, and using the historic performance sort function helps me do that. 

How many of the facilities have you walked though? 

The difference with us is that you seem to think I'm some kind of moron, and I think you're probably at least reasonably bright. 

I said "I'm a graphs guy" in the context of a thing on TV I thought was funny. I like graphs because I understand them, I think I pretty good with them, I used them a lot at work, and think they helped me a bit to advance through my manufacturing career. I still like them, but I generally do not use them much to make investment choices. 

Now, you go on and have a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year!

I have no idea how you managed to get from, assessing funds, to, I think your a moron so I'm not even going to think about it! I'll write some more words later about technical evaluation, after I get back from shopping.

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

I have no idea how you managed to get from, assessing funds, to, I think your a moron so I'm not even going to think about it! I'll write some more words later about technical evaluation, after I get back from shopping.

If you actually did think about it, you might. 

Fund shopping? 

• Sad 1

I had a good year.  But in reality it is just about back to where it was 2 years ago.  The S and P still is not at its all time high.

Stocks like Facebook tripled, but still not at all time highs.  Many other stocks are even or down. The big techs mostly up.

It will be interesting many think inflation is tame now, but I think that may be premature.  Will wait and see especially with the President elections what 2024 will bring for stocks.

20231231_065317.jpg

• Like 1