Where to meet 50 something like-minded individuals?

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Another problem I don't think anyone mentioned is that most people you meet at all in Thailand seem very transitory. In other words, they are not really settled in. Even older guys over 50 seem to move around from place to place pretty often. It's like the roots are not there.

I noticed this when I first came to Thailand and how many of the people I knew were more like people I would meet at college keg parties, people who I knew who they were but there was no deep friendship. We never talked about meaningful stuff, it was just hanging out and having a good time when we happened to be at the same party.

Yep. Some of the people i knew never returned after covid

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

if you want to go to Boyztown just go don't bring me into it

Why, because you are already there? ha ha... 

I guess I hit a sore spot? Nothing to be ashamed of - - That is why you are so angry and repressed... and like to make fun of people who carry a few extra pounds... 

• Thumbs Up 1

Meeting a lot of other expats and tourists in Thailand is not that difficult. As long as there is something in common. You just have to enjoy spending most of your time drinking booze.  

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Come on you aren't a few extra pounds 555 years of gluttony adds up

Why are you so obsessed with my weight? Trust me, you are not my type... or do you just want me for my money?

"repressed, bothered and bewildered" 

17 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Thank you!

The best people I've met in the US:

https://www.meetup.com/los-angeles-hiking-group/

I was part of that group and 4-5 other hiker groups for 15+ years. I wish there were similar group here.

OP, this is not very smart:

"Guys who are not afraid to walk on their own and don't need a woman to hold their hand"

- Hints you hate women... or can't get/hold them

- Good luck

I used it to get into squash, badminton and social events.....worked well in BKK until covid hit.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Another problem I don't think anyone mentioned is that most people you meet at all in Thailand seem very transitory. In other words, they are not really settled in. Even older guys over 50 seem to move around from place to place pretty often. It's like the roots are not there.

I noticed this when I first came to Thailand and how many of the people I knew were more like people I would meet at college keg parties, people who I knew who they were but there was no deep friendship. We never talked about meaningful stuff, it was just hanging out and having a good time when we happened to be at the same party. Or, we would get in contact when they were coming into town usually for a gig or concert, then they just disappear until next time.

I didn’t/don’t have this problem at all. I know some of the same people I met more than twenty years ago. 
But look at what you write…’college keg party’, ‘party’, ‘gig’… 

I didn’t meet any of my friends at these places, but on small island communities where it was the norm to greet each other. So you build relationships differently. You are seeing each other almost every day, helping with advice etc

How are you going to get a similar situation in Pattaya or Bangkok? 
Maybe you should widen your interests from parties and gigs. But chances are that everyone is doing their own thing and will have little or no interest in spending time with a lonely guy. Lonely guys are boring. That’s why they are lonely. I’m not referring to you specifically. 
But here are examples: I play a musical instrument and have a general interest in music, so I could meet people on that basis. I cycle, so I could meet up with scubascuba and the like, but not for long, as he would only see my dust 😊

It’s super easy to meet people if you are engaging. But if you are just hanging around the centre, meeting people in bars or parties…. what do you expect? You have nothing in common other than the bars and parties. 

33 minutes ago, NextG said:

I didn’t/don’t have this problem at all. I know some of the same people I met more than twenty years ago. 
But look at what you write…’college keg party’, ‘party’, ‘gig’… 

I didn’t meet any of my friends at these places, but on small island communities where it was the norm to greet each other. So you build relationships differently. You are seeing each other almost every day, helping with advice etc

How are you going to get a similar situation in Pattaya or Bangkok? 
Maybe you should widen your interests from parties and gigs. But chances are that everyone is doing their own thing and will have little or no interest in spending time with a lonely guy. Lonely guys are boring. That’s why they are lonely. I’m not referring to you specifically. 
But here are examples: I play a musical instrument and have a general interest in music, so I could meet people on that basis. I cycle, so I could meet up with scubascuba and the like, but not for long, as he would only see my dust 😊

It’s super easy to meet people if you are engaging. But if you are just hanging around the centre, meeting people in bars or parties…. what do you expect? You have nothing in common other than the bars and parties. 

I don't know about "small island communities where everyone is playing music" but it sounds great. Where is that exactly?

Just now, JimTripper said:

I don't know about "small island communities where everyone is playing music" but it sounds great. Where is that exactly?

Everyone is playing music? Where did I write that? Was that your engaging personality at work?

In real life, I’d already be making my excuses. 
Many people here are simply not likeable. They want to come over as Alpha when they so obviously are not. So they cannot connect with anyone due to being so out of kilter with nature.
I advise you to go make friends with those ‘wild dingoes’. Once you do that, you can move on to humans.  

22 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Rewatch “The Beach“. I think it's shut down now. 

25 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Rewatch “The Beach“. I think it's shut down now. 

As a ‘backpacker’ I was offered employment as an ‘extra’ during the filming. I declined. Being on holiday and not wanting to waste my time making money that I didn’t need. 
In fact it was the norm for scouts to go around the guesthouses looking for foreigners willing to be on Thai TV, commercials and films. Received many offers, but always declined.

A minimum of 1200 baht per day back then. Of course useful money for some.