New laptop?

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And so...

What are the tangible improvements that you have found using Windows 11 on an Acer laptop?

Mine is a  Aspire V3 111P 

I have a 2020 Asus Vivobook with i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 100GB M2 and 500 GB SSD. It runs so smoothly, boots in seconds, and the desktop windows have curved corners.

Same on my Acer Aspire C25, same specs. And my 8 year old home-made tower PC, i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 120 GB M2, 1TB Samsung 960 SSD. 

You will never know improvements in operation or visuals using W11 until you install it. You can always go back if you don't like it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Totally agree. 

No matter the subject once the so called "oracle" has spoken it's so called proclamation must be treated as sacrosanct!

The truth never hurts "it" and no amount of reasoning will ever deflect "it" from it's course!  

I just wish that course was not on this platform!

PS; Do you think "it" knows the difference as to what/when the "G" stands for in IT and can tell whether "it" is referring to "Generation" or "Frequency" or "it" just on the wrong wavelength?

Or Giga......

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, proton said:

Another Acer victim, get a Mac book, they don't heat up and there is not even a fan. Cool runnings.

This ACER is also fanless.

I have no idea why it overheats and freezes...but it does.

(Also, for my  purposes, I would not buy another laptop.  When I build a desktop, I am free to change all components at my whim.)

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

As has been posted by some experts recently, almost ANY PC can run W11 if it ran W10. Almost any!

How do you know what W11 can do for you if you have never tried it.

You begrudge an hour of time upgrading to W11. How many HOURS do you waste typing some of your posts for Asean Now?

If your 1965 Ford Anglia gets you from A to B, then no need to change. 

My time posting on Asean Now (I prefer TV)....is NOT a waste, and never wasted.

I like to think that I am contributing my time towards the improvement of TV, and also my efforts, presumably, help to sell advertising, which in turn helps the forum.  This is my MAIN concern when posting on TV.

Re:  WIN11, I really think that it will not afford me any noticeable user-experience advantages.

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This ACER is also fanless.

I have no idea why it overheats and freezes...but it does.

(Also, for my  purposes, I would not buy another laptop.  When I build a desktop, I am free to change all components at my whim.)

It overheats and freezes (oxymoron) because it is fanless. Mine never does. 

How often do you contemplate changing all components on your PC, yet you will not upgrade your OS?

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have a 2020 Asus Vivobook with i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM, 100GB M2 and 500 GB SSD. It runs so smoothly, boots in seconds, and the desktop windows have curved corners.

Same on my Acer Aspire C25, same specs. And my 8 year old home-made tower PC, i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 120 GB M2, 1TB Samsung 960 SSD. 

You will never know improvements in operation or visuals using W11 until you install it. You can always go back if you don't like it.

OK

I will try it, based on your gushing reviews of upgrading to Win11.

But, do you really think that I can upgrade to Win11 using my  Aspire V3 111P ?

I sort of doubt it.....

I may be wrong, though.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

It overheats and freezes (oxymoron) because it is fanless. Mine never does. 

How often do you contemplate changing all components on your PC, yet you will not upgrade your OS?

When I install new components on my desktops, I get IMMEDIATE positive performance results.

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

My time posting on Asean Now (I prefer TV)....is NOT a waste, and never wasted.

That's what YOU think.

And still referring to AN as TV just shows that you are averse to upgrading to the present.

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When I install new components on my desktops, I get IMMEDIATE positive performance results.

So why not investigate the positive performance results you could get from W11?

For me, W11 is up and running much faster than W10. However, I rarely turn my PC off, so boot and OP up-to-running speed is immaterial.

Edited by KannikaP

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Try installing it using the Microsoft Windows download and the RUFUS media creation tool which can bypass, in some cases, but not all Microsoft Specification requirements!

Cannot guarantee it will work but nothing to loose by trying it!

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Just remember that 4GB RAM and a 64 not 32 bit system is the minimum for WIN 11 to work no matter whither you have either a HDD or an SSD!

19 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK

I sort of doubt it.....

I may be wrong, though.

Follow the video NextG posted earlier. Or the easy registry modifications which I posted before that.

EDIT. After reading the specs of the V3 111P, stick with W10 if it is working OK. Get a new one as soon as you can, with W11 installed.

Edited by KannikaP

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes.

I will know in advance by reading reviews....

image.png.3c5e60cd5a28e2c13fbf6aa2f71ae8d1.png

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1471886/why-switch-to-windows-11.html#:~:text=Simply put%2C there just isn,that much to be significant.

Windows is GARBABE, anyway.

I prefer Linux for my computers, but am unable to use it due to my requirements in some cases.

Anyway, Sure a Shootin', I will NOT be upgrading to Windows 11, anytime soon.

There is just no appreciable advantage in it.

And, sometimes, things go wrong when doing a Windows OS upgrade....

Better just to leave things as they are...if....one is using Windows 10...

Just my opinion and your opinions may, obviously, differ.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

I will know in advance by reading reviews....

image.png.3c5e60cd5a28e2c13fbf6aa2f71ae8d1.png

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1471886/why-switch-to-windows-11.html#:~:text=Simply put%2C there just isn,that much to be significant.

Windows is GARBABE, anyway.

I prefer Linux for my computers, but am unable to use it due to my requirements in some cases.

Anyway, Sure a Shootin', I will NOT be upgrading to Windows 11, anytime soon.

There is just no appreciable advantage in it.

And, sometimes, things go wrong when doing a Windows OS upgrade....

Better just to leave things as they are...if....one is using Windows 10...

Just my opinion and your opinions may, obviously, differ.

What can or cannot you do with Linux as opposed to Windows, 10 or 11?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That's what YOU think.

And still referring to AN as TV just shows that you are averse to upgrading to the present.

Or, it proves that I am nostalgic, and full of nostalgia for the past.

I am happy to upgrade when I can gain immediate and real rewards.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So why not investigate the positive performance results you could get from W11?

For me, W11 is up and running much faster than W10. However, I rarely turn my PC off, so boot and OP up-to-running speed is immaterial.

Windows 10 boots super fast for me.

No problems on this front.

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Try installing it using the Microsoft Windows download and the RUFUS media creation tool which can bypass, in some cases, but not all Microsoft Specification requirements!

Just remember that 4GB RAM and a 64 not 32 bit system is the minimum for WIN 11 to work no matter whither you have either a HDD or an SSD!

I would be interested in using this solution IF I thought I might gain in performance by using Win11.

The problem is that there seems to be very little to gain, in performance benefits, by upgrading to Win11.

Please refer to the article I already linked in one of my most recent posts.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

That's great. Good chatting with you.

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I already did that the moment I first purchased my laptop, in 2015...a fairly cheap Acer.

But now, it's the gpu (which is just the gpu offered by INTEL on the CPU) that is not up to snuff, and getting almost too slow to operate a 27 inch monitor connected to the laptop.

The thing often overheats, too.

Maybe I should have it cleaned or clean it myself.

But still, I think it is too slow.

I am too cheap to buy a new one.

A clean of the cooling fins and fan along with a reset/reinstall of the O/S and applications maybe worth a try (No cost other than time).

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

A clean of the cooling fins and fan along with a reset/reinstall of the O/S and applications maybe worth a try (No cost other than time).

YES, I agree that this old laptop needs to be cleaned.  But, this laptop does not employ fan(s) for cooling.

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK

I sort of doubt it.....

I may be wrong, though.

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I would be interested in using this solution IF I thought I might gain in performance by using Win11.

The problem is that there seems to be very little to gain, in performance benefits, by upgrading to Win11.

Please refer to the article I already linked in one of my most recent posts.

One minute you ask if you can upgrade/change to Win11 then you state ;

"The problem is that there seems to be very little to gain, in performance benefits, by upgrading to Win11."

Do you want to upgrade/change or not?

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

One minute you ask if you can upgrade/change to Win11 then you state ;

"The problem is that there seems to be very little to gain, in performance benefits, by upgrading to Win11."

Do you want to upgrade/change or not?

NOT!

No Way, Jose!

I will wait until 2025 to do any OS upgrading....

Thanks, though....

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So why did you ask about upgrading in the first place!

I wanted to know if anyone might have a better understanding of this next Win11 upgrade than I.

Also, as I originally stated, my opinion is that this Win11 is not necessary, at least for me.

And, I backed it up with just one example opinion by PC World.

Also, after expressing my opinion, someone here implied that I was mistaken.  And they stated that there might be a significant performance effect through upgrading to Win11, which, I think, we can now all agree is FALSE.

Therefore, I will stand pat, and not upgrade until 2025, which is the year that Micro$soft, MicroDick, will stop supporting Win10 for enterprise customers.

Am I making sense to you, now, for the very first time?

In the past, during a decade-long period, I refused to install Microsoft OS on my computers.  But now, as I have already explained, I must have this lousy OS on my machines.

Sobeit, I cannot change the world, and have the entire world support Linux for the Desktop.....

I am just trying my best to adapt to a very imperfect world, is all....

Tks!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Or, it proves that I am nostalgic, and full of nostalgia for the past.

I am happy to upgrade when I can gain immediate and real rewards.

Do you really drive a 1965 Ford Anglia?   555

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

You don’t need to ‘use the Microsoft Windows download AND the RUFUS media creation tool’ 😊

RUFUS is all you need to download and create the media and also to remove the undesirable OOBE options if unwanted. Such as trying to coerce you into using an online account. 

I don’t understand this statement at all. I can only surmise that it’s just written very poorly; “which can bypass, in some cases, but not all Microsoft Specification requirements”

Which requirements are not able to be overlooked?

Since the Microsoft registry fix bypasses the TPM 2.0 and CPU family check, surely that covers his situation. Would you not agree?

Your statement of 4GB RAM being NEEDED is also incorrect, but not relevant here anyway. 

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

We all know that but what was your previous "avatar/name" before your last banning for posting such continuous and obvious BS about subjects you obviously know nothing about!

I know much more than you and that is what is important. Most of what you write is incomplete and inaccurate. The fact that you have someone else who does the same thing on your ‘team’ only serves to highlight that fact. 
One or two of you might even still be benefiting from solutions that I provided a long time ago. Including hex editing for firmware updates. So I just smile to myself that you now see yourself as the experts ☺️

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1